• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paradise Kiss Manga Gets Live-Action Film Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf:
Quote:
Paradise Kiss is far from being anything like a bunch of middle aged women and their sex-capades in the big city as they blow all their money on name brand fashions.

Yeah, it's just 20-somethings blowing their money on brand name fashions. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Paradise Kiss is about a girl who grows into a women, and most importantly with about every character in it; self discovery.

I'd like to believe that, if she did actually do more than lose it.

Quote:
That self discovery was made even more prominent with the fact that everyone outside of Yukari actually created the clothes they wore.

See, that's the problem. Everyone else is more interesting than Yukari, but they get relegated to "side-kick" status.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I THINK I JUST HAD A SEIZURE. I'm excited. I hope they incorporate the music and deliver on certain scenes.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
I generally don't watch Japanese live-action these days, but since my favourite shojo manga is being adapted, I feel somewhat compelled to at least check it out when the time comes.

This reminds me that I really should pick up the manga at some point. (I already own the anime.)
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
I love the manga so I am really excited by the news especially with Kitagawa as Yukari (I adored her in PGSM) I have some doubts if they would be able to bring the clothes to life but I do hope it turns out well.

And comparing sex and the city with paradise kiss... erh while it's true both series are very positive about fashion(instead of many other works who reduce it to something either frivolous and useless or even destructive) I don't think they are similar... at all. O.o
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
mufurc: It was the most pointless thing she'd ever done, actually. She just came off disposable as a result.

Eh? She would've been disposable IF she stayed with him. Going with George would've meant sacrificing her budding career in Japan, plus she wanted to go to university, too. George wouldn't have respected her for throwing all this away for him. And he would've dumped her sooner or later anyway, when he found a new muse (because that's the only reason he loved her - the only woman he was shown to really love and respect was Kaori), and she would've been left there with an uncertain future, (maybe even with a child, re: George's mother, whose weakness he absolutely abhors).

By staying in Japan she had a chance to develop her career, had the drive to show George what she could achieve on her own, without his help or influence, etc. And the epilogue shows her successful and happy.

GATSU wrote:
littlegreenwolf:
Quote:
Paradise Kiss is far from being anything like a bunch of middle aged women and their sex-capades in the big city as they blow all their money on name brand fashions.

Yeah, it's just 20-somethings blowing their money on brand name fashions. Rolling Eyes

OK now I'm pretty sure you haven't read the manga.
1. they're 17-18.
2. the main gang (minus Yukari) are fashion students who have their own brand (and apparently manage to sell exactly one dress)
3. they make their own clothes, which is kind of a plot point...
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Going with George would've meant sacrificing her budding career in Japan, plus she wanted to go to university, too.

Yeah, but she'd have fun and be well-off. And it's pretty obvious that he meant more to her than those gigs.

Quote:
And he would've dumped her sooner or later anyway, when he found a new muse (because that's the only reason he loved her - the only woman he was shown to really love and respect was Kaori),

Well, you're just assuming that would be the outcome, just like Yukari, who only played it "safe", because she couldn't trust George over her own insecurities.

Quote:
1. they're 17-18.
2. the main gang (minus Yukari) are fashion students who have their own brand (and apparently manage to sell exactly one dress)

1. Some of the characters are older. 2. They have their own brand, but they go out of the way to get over-priced fabrics and accessories. 3. They make their own clothes, but they blow their budget on outings.

Quote:
And the epilogue shows her successful and happy.

Now who hasn't read the manga? She's crying over missing him, which means she regrets her choice.
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~!!!!

This is awesome. Here's hoping it translates well into a movie. Also, I honestly love Keiko, but i don't think she fits Yukari's role as well. Here's hoping she proves me wrong.

Also, I'm really glad to have three films to look forward to with Osamu in it. *_*
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Going with George would've meant sacrificing her budding career in Japan, plus she wanted to go to university, too.

Yeah, but she'd have fun and be well-off. And it's pretty obvious that he meant more to her than those gigs.

Quote:
And he would've dumped her sooner or later anyway, when he found a new muse (because that's the only reason he loved her - the only woman he was shown to really love and respect was Kaori),

Well, you're just assuming that would be the outcome, just like Yukari, who only played it "safe", because she couldn't trust George over her own insecurities.

Quote:
1. they're 17-18.

1. Some of the characters are older. 2. They have their own brand, but they go out of the way to get over-priced fabrics and accessories. 3. They make their own clothes, but they blow their budget on outings.

Quote:
And the epilogue shows her successful and happy.

Now who hasn't read the manga? She's crying over missing him, which means she regrets her choice.

Seriously...you really don't get it. Yes, she cries when he leaves, because she does still love him. However, she's smart enough to know that staying with him was a dead end, and that she's better off on her own. In the epilogue, she's engaged, very happy, and has a good career. When she says that she'll probably cry when seeing George's play, that doesn't mean that she 'misses him' and regrets her decision. George had a huge impact on her life, and was part of the reason why she made so much personal growth. Seeing his designs again is going to bring back all the old memories she had with him, and I can't blame the girl for having a little cry over it. It doesn't mean that she's still in love with him, it doesn't mean that she wants him back, and it doesn't mean that she regrets her decision to let him go.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Seriously...you really don't get it. Yes, she cries when he leaves, because she does still love him. However, she's smart enough to know that staying with him was a dead end, and that she's better off on her own. In the epilogue, she's engaged, very happy, and has a good career. When she says that she'll probably cry when seeing George's play, that doesn't mean that she 'misses him' and regrets her decision. George had a huge impact on her life, and was part of the reason why she made so much personal growth. Seeing his designs again is going to bring back all the old memories she had with him, and I can't blame the girl for having a little cry over it. It doesn't mean that she's still in love with him, it doesn't mean that she wants him back, and it doesn't mean that she regrets her decision to let him go.

Let's just give up now. This is Gatsu we're talking about, a dude of the forums who has the unfortunately tendency to mimic a troll. Key word there is dude, and with his stubborn viewpoints it's unlikely we'll ever get him to understand one of the most iconic shoujo manga of our generation. It'd be like explaining why Moulin Rouge a film popular with women, or why Jane Austen is so relevant, even today.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Quark wrote:

Let's just give up now. This is Gatsu we're talking about, a dude of the forums who has the unfortunately tendency to mimic a troll.

I agree with what Quark said. It's impossible to completely forget your first love. It will always be a bittersweet memory most women cling to. Yukari was happy that she was able to find herself, and George was able to achieve his dream as well.

As for Gatsu, I've been in these forums for quite a while now, and I've also received my fair share of antagonism from him as well. Laughing He's cool nevertheless. Don’t take it personally. Just agree to disagree.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quark:
Quote:
However, she's smart enough to know that staying with him was a dead end, and that she's better off on her own.

No, she just dropped out because she didn't have the maturity to handle a real relationship. And by the time she did, she had to settle for second best.

Quote:
In the epilogue, she's engaged, very happy, and has a good career.

Except she's not happy, or she wouldn't still be thinking of him.

Quote:
When she says that she'll probably cry when seeing George's play, that doesn't mean that she 'misses him' and regrets her decision.

It does at least mean that she misses what he meant to her, if nothing else.

greenwolf: The most iconic shojo manga of your generation is Mars, Utena, Aishiteruze Baby and/or Rasetsu. I would've inserted Nana in there, too, if it didn't JTS with the pregnancy. Everything else I read in English is some dress-up shit masquerading as high school angst. And Moulin Rouge is popular with gay men. It's Mama Mia! which is popular with women.
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited that this is being adapted into a film. The original source can be definitely used in a live-action version. However, I wish it was done as a drama series.

Quote:
Except she's not happy, or she wouldn't still be thinking of him.

Now, I don't think it's fair to suddenly assume she's not happy because she has thoughts of him. If that's the case, every poor man and woman who is married or engaged is never happy because they think of their old flames once in a while. People have memories, some with they are fond of, even after breakups and have moved on. It's what people do.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Amazing insight on relationships and how really simple and black and white they really are!

You know, I thought about it, and realized, you're right. Yukari dumped him because she couldn't handle shit, and not because he was an emotionally unavailable, cheating, semi-abusive ass. She misses him oh so much and still loves him and regrets every single day calling it quits with him. Relationships are also very black and white, emotions are very easy to understand, and no one ever has had complex, confusing feelings, that can't easily be fixed up with some pop music, boinking, and a happy feel good ending.
GOD, was I ever wrong. You sir, are clearly a master of everything in the universe. EVER.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
greenwolf: The most iconic shojo manga of your generation is Mars, Utena, Aishiteruze Baby and/or Rasetsu. I would've inserted Nana in there, too, if it didn't JTS with the pregnancy. Everything else I read in English is some dress-up shit masquerading as high school angst. And Moulin Rouge is popular with gay men. It's Mama Mia! which is popular with women.

Where the heck did you come up with such a bizarre list, and since when did you gain a vagina that makes you a spokeswoman for the women of my generation? Please share with us the news of a sucessful sex-change. I'd love to congratulate you.

I'm the biggest Utena fan you can find but that manga is crap in comparison to the anime; it's falls far from what made the anime stand out against everything else and doesn't even follow the same themes. It's a crap manga made to help promote the anime which was first.

Mars? Boring cliche shoujo that's easily forgetful after a year with too much focus on motorcycles. Barely qualifies as part of the millennial generation.

Aishiteruze Baby? What about that speaks to my generation? 1, it's a newer title and 2, the lead character is a guy. It doesn't speak to a generation of women, nor give us anything to take from it unless we have child abandonment issues. It's all "ooo, look at the teen boy trying to raise a little girl. Isn't that cuuuuuuute?!"

Rasetsu doesn't even deserve a response.

And criticizing Nana for pregnancy issues? That's rich coming from someone giving us women a list of manga we can totally relate to real life with. Bravo, you really show what women can connect to in terms of comics here. The only one you came even close to for women to actually connect to was Mars, but it falls flat in comparison to the issues and characters of Paradise Kiss.

Bringing up Mama Mia just made me puke a little in my throat.

As usual your usual, "in depth" one liner responses have been less than engaging.

Quark
: Totally head on with the description of George there. I think there were very few girls who read ParaKiss that he didn't seduce, myself included. By the end of it though I was absolutely disgusted with him.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And Moulin Rouge is popular with gay men. It's Mama Mia! which is popular with women.

Moulin Rouge! is one of my all-time favorite movies and I'm straight, so cram it*.

Comparing it to Mamma Mia! is bunk too - that's a musical built around a song catalog, and Moulin Rouge is a pastiche. It's completely postmodern.

*with walnuts
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3