• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime that could make GOOD live-action adaptions.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rho

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
We all know how terrible Dragonball Evolution was. But, what anime series could make good live-action movies if done properly?

My biggest one? Soul Eater. Done by Tim Burton.

Let that sink in for a moment. The series already looks Burton-esque as it is. Seriously, this is absolutely PERFECT for him to do.

Johnny Depp would make a spectacular Stein. Can't think of many other roles besides Leon Thomas III as Killik. Actor ideas for Mifune and Justin are right at the tip of my head but I just can't think of who they are.

I'd imagine Lord Death would probably be CG.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No one-liners. Put reasons. -TK]
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be wierd and suggest something I haven't even seen: VOTOMS. I've only seen the opening, the ending, some short clips and some general plot synopses, and I can judge just from that that it could make a great live action movie. That's how favourable my first impressions of the show are Razz
Zach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Even though there was already an atrocious live action movie back in the 90's, a good Fist of the North Star film could be easily made, particularly as a trilogy of films, could be a big hit in the right hands.

And even though it's happening as a CG film now, a Captain Harlock live action movie could've been made a long time ago.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I desperately want that Cobra movie to happen. So far America has taken some of the most impossibly producible properties and tried to make movies out of them. Sorry, but I don't think even Twilight's movie studios has a budget to make a Dragon Ball Z or Akira movie. Cobra is just perfect. It's a guy with a robot arm that wanders around space. You would have to be a really terrible director to mess with a premise like that.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Death Note. You could easily change the location to New York, Americanize most of the characters, turn "shinigami" into "Soul Reapers", and it would still have the same impact as the manga.

Battle Angel Alita, since it doesn't take place in Japan anyway. James Cameron is already on the case, even if it'll take ten years to come out.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. There's some Japanese elements to it, but it could easily take place in a small village in the United States.

Digimon. Kids at summer camp who are sucked into a different world. That's pretty basic stuff right there. The dub names are so vaguely Japanese that they could easily pass as English names, and the Digimon themselves would look amazing in CG (unlike Pokemon).

Darker Than Black. Again, more basic stuff. It could easily take place in some dystopian version of NYC.

Fullmetal Alchemist. This story would be amazing as a live action movie. It takes place in pseudo-Europe anyway, and most of the character names are already in English. The end of the Greed arc would make an amazing finale for the first movie, and the ending of the second movie would be after the confrontation with Father. The third would end after the "Promised Day" montage, and the fourth would cover the final battle.
lazyknight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Death Note. You could easily change the location to New York, Americanize most of the characters, turn "shinigami" into "Soul Reapers", and it would still have the same impact as the manga.

Agreed. From what I remember of the Japanese live-action, it really wasn't that bad. Death Note is one of those series where as long as the plot is kept in tact, location is really irrelevant.

As for others, I think really any action/adventure animes have the potential for good live-action flicks. The problem with Dragonball Evolution is that it veered off the path of the already well established anime storyline. It incorporated way too many new elements instead of sticking with the original plot. In order for live-action movies to be successful, at least from an anime fan's point of view, they simply need to retell the original story found in the anime - not rewrite it.
rho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I believe one is being made.

There's also a Cowboy Bebop one coming out in 2011.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I think you could make a good Haibane Renmei movie. I can picture it as an arty French movie with a Yann Teirsen score.

I also second Death Note, as long as certain elements were changed. The Shinigami designs would have to go, since they would look completely ridiculous in live-action (as they do in the Japanese movie).
sk1199

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The first thing that jumped to my mind was Black Lagoon. It's set in the real world and involves (nominally) normal people and situations. It's an action movie and if they could find an actress that would fill Revy's shorts and attitude well it would become a box office hit just from the teen boy grouping.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
@ John Casey. (before he got 'moderated' lol)

BACCANO!

This anime was made for the west, im not sure if it would be a box office mega hit but it would get a fairly positive responce.

The character types are numerous and solid and the action is superb, gory and a little over the top.

As for the plot and how the story will come together, we'll leave that to Quentin Tarantino to sort out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Why are people saying Death Note? It already has two movies. Let's move on.

If we're talking about Hollywood movies, though, American movies, then look no further than Gunsmith Cats. Takes place in Chicago, makes use of American muscle cars, has fast driving, shooting, sexy women, and people getting their limbs blown off. Hm, maybe they'll have to cut down on that last part. Also, they'd have to downplay Minnie May or age her up. Or they could go full rated R.

But they'd probably end up casting Megan Fox as Rally Vincent, and that would make me explode with rage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big believer in "animation is better" Razz, but if Hollywood wants to mess with manga or anime, I'd love to see Death Note again. It has 3 live action movies in Japan and I never get tired of spoiler[Light Yagami getting his and completely unravelling ] the ending. Very Happy

I think a live-action version of FMA is an awful idea, and I still hope the movie announcement refers to animation.
Sovay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
kiddtic wrote:

As for the plot and how the story will come together, we'll leave that to Quentin Tarantino to sort out.

I'd actually really like to see that. I was never a terribly huge Tarantino fan but he won me over with Inglorious Basterds. I really liked the tone of that movie and I bet Baccano could be fun in a similarly gory but weirdly awesome way. Plus, Brad Pitt for Isaac and more terrible Italian accents? Laughing
lazyknight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If we're talking about Hollywood movies, though, American movies, then look no further than Gunsmith Cats.

Riding Bean also comes to mind as what would have been a decent live-action Hollywood flick back in the 80s or early 90s. I'm not so sure they would stand the test of today's culture though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3