• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bootlegs getting more "official" looking

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I ordered 4 Cowboy Bebop CD's last week, Blue, O.S.T. 1, O.S.T. 2, & Vitaminless.

They came in standered sized CD cases, A booklet containing some english and Japanese text with high quality color pictures of the series, and on the CD it had what I considered the "official" ring around the data for the CD.

I payed 30.00 per CD plus shipping & handling. Unfortunately I found out it had been produced by a company other then Victor who only makes the Bebop CD's.

How is it getting this far in the bootlegging industry that they can duplicate the CD's with such realism it's astounding? Does anyone know how I can look out for such a thing aside from price?

I got horribly ripped off trying to pay full price for the official CD so that Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts could get thier hard-earned money.

How can I watch out for this and why isn't the music industry in Japan doing anything because unlike the DVD industry there is not enough places importing official Japanese CD's so it makes bootleg CD's making off with more then they are making with official CD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The only thing you can do is to purchase directly from the official site or sites that everyone knows which sells the official items. And it's always good to do some research from the place you're purchasing from as well, before ordering Confused And I agree, bootlegs are becoming more 'official' looking as time goes by, but it's not that much of a shock, considering that technology advances :\
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
File a complaint to the store you ordered from. If possible, ask for a return for a refund. Of course, try to provide as much evidence as possible.

A friend of mine recently bought one of the OST's to Blue Submarine no.6. He was really excited that he got it, because it was the first thing he ever ordered online, and he loves BSN6. However, when I asked if I could see the disc, I spotted the logo of a well known bootlegging company. He was pretty oblivious to the company, and he was really happy, and since it was his first buy, I decided not to break the news to him. Telling him that his new favorite cd was a bootleg seemed a bit harsh at the time.

I've been ripped off from bootlegs as well before. Basically, I've learned from the experience that the three major things when buying CD's are to

- Ask about the authenticy of the CD
- Get to know the names of major Bootlegging companies
- If ordering online, buy only from sites with good reputations and such.

I am amazed though at how far a company can go to make a convincing replication of the original though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Neardawg1979

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Avoid eBay at all costs, all they sell on there are bootleg. I let my guard down once and bought a Gundam CD there that looked official from a guy in Nevada. On the picture of the CD I saw the official Gundam seal, and thought to myself that maybe this was the real thing. When I finally got it in the mail I found out it was another knock off from Ever Anime. I left a hint to others that this guy sold bootlegs in my feedback, even though I gave him posative feedback. I didn't want him to give me negative feedback for outing him. That's the last time I use eBay for anime related materials. I thought it was against eBay's policies to sell bootlegs on their site. Does anyone know if that's true?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

How can I watch out for this and why isn't the music industry in Japan doing anything because unlike the DVD industry there is not enough places importing official Japanese CD's so it makes bootleg CD's making off with more then they are making with official CD.

They are. The problem is that it's a very slow process, and equipment to press CD/DVD is not that hard to purchase. You have to kill the head so the body will die, and the head has got a lot of government officials hanging from its earlobes.

Quote:
How can I watch out for this and why isn't the music industry in Japan doing anything because unlike the DVD industry there is not enough places importing official Japanese CD's

Prices are not going to vary much, pricefixing is a way of life in Japan.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp
http://www.yesasia.com
http://www.amazon.co.jp (in Japanese, but you can checkout in English)
http://www.amotokyo.com

If you can't find it one of those places, it's just not available anymore.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote
http://www.gamemusic.com

They specialize mostly in video game music, but they also have anime music too. Everything is legit, but they run out of stock pretty fast... But they're based in the U.S., which saves you a little money on overseas shipping or whatever Wink.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
But they're based in the U.S., which saves you a little money on overseas shipping or whatever Wink.

Not really. Overseas shipping costs usually get absorbed into the US retail prices.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ah. Well that makes sense...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1