• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel Anime to Run on G4 in the United States in 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
I'm still surprised that these Marvel anime's will be airing in Japan before the US. Last I checked Japan didn't care much for American comic book super hero's. And lets not forget these will all get fan-subbed and heavily pirated before making it over here.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Honestly, I used to adore X-Play because it could cover game news, and do reviews and be hilarious to boot. Then they switched to just being straight-faced. The skits were canned, the snide remarks, everything. They actually became the same as every other game news site on the internet where you just get a snippet of info an nothing more. The novelty was ruined.

It still manages to be slightly better than what the network pads the air with (They also air Whacked Out Videos, or some crap), now
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Not until I got the DVDs. I was dropped in the middle of the Nazi submarine arc. I was scared but intrigued all at the same time.

Good to hear.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
The first episode of the Iron Man anime was interesting to say the least. I didn't take any photos of the characters stills they showed but everyone looked their age, and acted it too. Tony was still a womanizing brash industrialist and wasn't afraid to take center stage. You got to see Pepper Potts for a moment and there is a female Japanese scientist that should be a constant character, along with a female journalist.

The plot? spoiler[ Tony wants to set up an arc reactor in Japan to provide free power to the people of Japan. Not everyone trusts his altruistic endeavors. He is also retiring himself and the Iron Man suit and instead have "Iron Man Dio's" to be piloted by other people. However on the day he wants introduce the Dio armor in a little air show, instead of having a new pilot, he takes it up himself. Something flashed inside and he wrecks the suit. He so happens to wreck it near the same cute female journalist that he met earlier (and had slapped him). She takes him back to the base, yes, flirting is involved. The test the wrecked Dio armor with another pilot and the flash happens again and takes over the pilot / armor. It escapes the Stark lab and Tony has to break out his armor and go after the Dio armor. (good battles, the c.g. armor action blends in well with the other animation) Just when he is about to recover the pilot / armor, a large mech in the shape of a scorpion (it calls itself Scorpio, and announces it is part of the zodiac) attacks Tony. Cool short battle, but Tony prevails, he finds the pilot, but no armor, and he is left wondering what is going on...]

It was a good first episode. Maybe other readers who were there can provide a better synopsis. At least everyone can rest assure they will get to see it, and the other series, when they are released on G4.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I'm still surprised that these Marvel anime's will be airing in Japan before the US. Last I checked Japan didn't care much for American comic book super hero's. And lets not forget these will all get fan-subbed and heavily pirated before making it over here.

They don't all that much, but that's why they made these in the first place. Marvel wanted to get Japan hooked on the characters so they had these shows made to try to do that. Interestingly enough, Iron Man: Armored Adventures and the Iron Man movies do pretty well in Japan (maybe it's the mecha appeal)
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
I dunno about Japan in general, but I know a certain manga-ka that'll probably be all over these. I can see Watsuki now... Laughing

I doubt it, but have we ever seen any trailer or promo art or anything for the X-Men or Blade ones?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
A Typical G4 lineup:
1:00-3:30 AM - Infomercials
3:30-4:00 AM - Anime
4:00-6:00 AM - Infomercials
6:00-9:00 AM - Cops
9:00-5:00 PM - Who cares. No one's around to watch
5:00-1:00 AM - Cops

Score a victory for anime.

Does anyone still watch G4 anymore? Not even Alison Haislip is enough to watch this dredge of a station.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

uh, I believe Japan love American superheroes as much as Kamen Rider, Super Sentai (Power Ranger in USA). Did you forget about the Spider-man show created by Toei? did you forget some of our mangaska are big fan of Marvel and DC superheroes comic, some of them even did work for DC and Marvel:

-Tsutomu Nihei who did Blame!, also did Wolverine: Snikt!
-Katsuhiro Otomo of Akira and Steamboy fame did a comic book anthology, Batman: Black & White (The Third Mask chapter)
-Masakazu Katsura of Video Girl Ai, and Shadow Lady is a huge fan of Batman.
-Kia Asamiya did Batman: Child of dream manga.
-Nobuhiro Watsuki of Rurouni Kenshin is a big X-men fan.
-Yukito Kishiro is a fan of Frank Miller's work (ironically Miller himself was influenced by manga)
-Yasuhiro Nightow(of Trigun fame) is big fan of Todd McFarlane's work. Did you know Monev the Gale was modeled after Venom (which I believe McFarlane created). Notice Monev is Venom backward.
-I don't know if this is true, did Akira Toriyama ever said something about being a fan of Superman? Because Goku's origin is very similar to Superman's origin. They both escaped from their doom planet, they both have father (Bardock and Jor-El) that tried to warn people about their planet's doom.
-Yoshitaka Amano, character designer of Final Fantasy (before 7), Gatchaman, and Vampire Hunter D worked on The Sandman: The Dream Hunters, and Elektra and Wolverine: The Redeemer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
The X-men animated series was a big hit in Japan- they created new opening animation, made UFO Catchers, and there was a magazine that reprinted marvel stories and included an all-new manga adaption of the animated series that ran for the run of the show. The movies have also done well there, and they also released X-men Evoluton on DVD there.

they've also done Kubricks, Real Action Heroes of Wolverine, Magneto and Cyclops, all primarily for the japanese market. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=FXBA-42527 The japanese releases of the movies [of which there are many] come with lots of exclusies too

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detail.html?KEY=NEOGDS-5754 X-men have a long history in Japan in the comics too, so it lends itself well to adaptions since lots of story-arcs were based there, from the X-men crashlanding in Japan and meeting Mariko Yoshida, to longtime member Sunfire, to Wolverine's ongoing series having a lot of stories based there. The Kitty Pryde statue from Kotobukiya above references the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde mini-series, wherein Kitty went to Japan with her father [around the time her parents divorced] on a business trip, and found herself learnign ninja skills from Wolverine's old master Ogun who would then go on to possess her via that mask she's holding.

Japan's also where Storm go her mohawk Smile
[c'mon Halle Berry! Mohawk cameo for Wolverine Origins 2!]
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
So G4 will findly have some thing that isnt crap on it
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
So G4 will findly have some thing that isnt crap on it

I have to agree with you there, I'm happy to hear they'll be running something other then Cops. Also I'm glad to hear something about the Marvel Anime, I recall watching the previews online nearly a year ago. Recently I was wondering what had become of it, I was a bit surprised to hear it would be airing on TV let alone on G4. I had assumed it was going to be a direct to DVD kind of thing but a TV series? That is amazingly much more better then what I had anticipated, I can't wait to see it.
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
well i quit watching g4 after seeing the endless marathon schedules of Cops, Ninja warrior(i love this show, but the problem is that they always repeat the same thing), Cheaters and yea hours of marathon of old James Bond films. i somehow stopped watching G4 since the only thing i watch is X-play that only plays at 11:pm at my time. might as well check the upcoming marvel shows
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
A Typical G4 lineup:
9:00-5:00 PM - Olivia Munn being a Bitch and Drama Queen for 8 hours straight.

Fixed that for ya. Munn is the main reason why I don't watch G4 anymore. Unwarranted self-importance bitch.

No, your not the #1 Slave Leia Cosplayer, you refused to drop your top in Playboy, and your nothing more than a vapid bitch.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
A Typical G4 lineup:
9:00-5:00 PM - Olivia Munn being a Bitch and Drama Queen for 8 hours straight.

Fixed that for ya. Munn is the main reason why I don't watch G4 anymore. Unwarranted self-importance bitch.

No, your not the #1 Slave Leia Cosplayer, you refused to drop your top in Playboy, and your nothing more than a vapid bitch.
How 'bout you tell us how you really feel?
james039

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Well G4 has aired the Sasuke tournaments (Ninja Warrior) and Kinniku Banzuke both as subtitled only broadcasts, this is probably what the programming director was referring to when saying that G4 has aired subtitled programming before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4