• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Volumes vs. complete collections.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Many licensors would often release their anime in "parts" or "sets" initially when they distribute the series. However, after a while, the licensors will release the series in some sort of "complete collection" (where all of the episodes are packaged in one box set). Bear in note that a "complete collection" doesn't necessarily mean it warrants for a dub. There are some series that are already released in a "complete collection" that doesn't have a dub (Kannagi and sola are examples here). But a general rule of thumb is that once the series is released in a "complete collection" that is subbed-only, then you can kiss your chances for a dub goodbye.

For the convenience of the scenario, I'm going to use Toradora! and Hayate the Combat Butler! as examples. Both series interests me, but I prefer watching my anime dubbed (if some people doesn't know me much) because I understand the story and connect with the characters much better (particularly if I'm dealing with a fast-paced series like Lucky Star or Hayate the Combat Butler!, then I would want to watch the series dubbed). In addition, I really have bad eyesight that I need prescription eyeglasses and reading subtitles can be a hassle. However, I do happen to watch some sub-only series if available (School Days and Sketchbook are some of the anime I've watched, but these two series aren't really fast-paced).

Apparently, there are pros and cons on buying an anime series in "parts" or "sets" and buying an anime series in a "complete collection." But I'm really stuck between if I should go out and buy the series "in parts" or waiting out and buy it in a "complete collection."

I know the greatest pro on getting the Toradora! and Hayate the Combat Butler! in a "complete collection" is that doing so would obviously save more money when compared to buying "in parts." However, doing so would reduce the chances for higher quality releases in the future like Blue-ray and extra features because the licensors aren't getting enough money when they are selling "in parts."

On the other side, buying the Toradora! and Hayate the Combat Butler! "in parts" does give a clear message to the licensors that the series is selling well and that would warrant them for better qualities releases (because licensors obviously make more money if they sell the series "in parts"). In cases with sub-only releases, doing this would help increases the chances that the series will be re-released with a dub (mind you that the practice of "sub-first" then dub when sales are good is a very rare practice, but it has happened in past. Clannad is probably the most recent example of this). The downside of this is that I would end spending more money if buy them "in parts" and if they decide to re-release Toradora! and Hayate the Combat Butler! with a dub, then I would end up spending more money (although this can be worked around by selling your own subbed-only DVDs to a retailer that accepts used DVDs). Also, some licensors don't offer some sort of "upgrade" service like what Sentai did with Legends of the Dark King and Clannad.

So I'm really kinda stuck here. Both Toradora! and Hayate the Combat Butler! are series that really interests me. But I prefer to watch them dubbed and I also don't want to go through the hassle spending over $100+ in DVDs. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Side-note: Mind you that not all licensors would release their series "in parts" directly. The may sometimes release it in a "complete collection" directly depending on how many episodes (particularly series that are bundled into 13-episodes).

[EDIT: Changed your title to fit in the line. -TK]
wormraper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Buying in "parts" or in complete collections is up to you really. if you're worried about maybe a dub being released in the complete collection you have a good reason to wait. Otherwise do what your wallet dictates.

on the fact of the studios not making enough money. It's NOT our job to single handedly support the market. if their business model can't handle selling in parts it's time to change business models. most anime company's have dropped selling singles because the singles market has changed from buying singles to complete seasons/series. the only ones to follow the singles Market are Viz and a couple other small ones. Funi and Section23 are leading the market with 1/2 seasons and full seasons. Buy whichever one your patience can afford Very Happy. However if you're wondering whether a dub will appear on the complete collection I'd wait, however Bandai has been the only one to do that if I remember correctly. Section 23 or any other studio who has released sub only in parts has not shelled out the the money to add a dub to a series as of yet when they release the full collection. Me personally I'll buy whatever's cheaper unless I'm REALLY that impatient (such as Code Geass season 1, I had to buy the 3 parts being that I loved the series, though now I'm waiting for R2 to get a boxset release)
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:
Buying in "parts" or in complete collections is up to you really. if you're worried about maybe a dub being released in the complete collection you have a good reason to wait. Otherwise do what your wallet dictates.

on the fact of the studios not making enough money. It's NOT our job to single handedly support the market. if their business model can't handle selling in parts it's time to change business models. most anime company's have dropped selling singles because the singles market has changed from buying singles to complete seasons/series. the only ones to follow the singles Market are Viz and a couple other small ones. Funi and Section23 are leading the market with 1/2 seasons and full seasons. Buy whichever one your patience can afford Very Happy. However if you're wondering whether a dub will appear on the complete collection I'd wait, however Bandai has been the only one to do that if I remember correctly. Section 23 or any other studio who has released sub only in parts has not shelled out the the money to add a dub to a series as of yet when they release the full collection. Me personally I'll buy whatever's cheaper unless I'm REALLY that impatient (such as Code Geass season 1, I had to buy the 3 parts being that I loved the series, though now I'm waiting for R2 to get a boxset release)

1/2 seasons also count as parts as well. Although I did recall that Secction 23 did decide to go back and dub some of their anime because the half-seasons sets sell well for them (Clannad, Legends of the Dark King, Blue Drop, and Ghost Hounds are getting dubs IIRC due to this). Bandai might have made really stupid decisions in the past, but I hope they have managed to get their act together ever since the controversy with Bang Zoom! CEO Eric P. Sherman.

But really, the only anime I can think of where Bandai released it subbed-first then later dubbed it was Gurren Lagann.

But really, I think Bandai would have approached Hayate the Combat Butler! better if they had released them in 13 episode singles instead of 7 episodes single. At least Funimation and Sentai is taking the fullest advantage of the Internet when it comes to streaming.
Bathos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm patient and I love to save as much money as possible so I always go for complete collections. The packaging isn't always as nice as the single volume editions, but that's never been something I've been concerned with.

There are always exceptions, though. I've got a whole mess of brick-style sets that I got at absurdly low prices due to clearance sales, coupons, Craigslist and Ebay spotting. The absolute best deal I've ever gotten was Pani Poni Dash with the artbox for a measly $19 at RightStuf.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Lucky Star, fast-paced? Did we watch the same show?

Hayate is over-priced even by single volume standards, so I'd just wait for the complete set like I am. It sounds like Toradora is just a limited release though (so I doubt a complete set will be released unless it sells much more than expected) and so will the rest of NIS America's anime licenses, so if you want the show you should pick it up sooner than later.

Bandai does seem to be getting their act together. Haruhi Season 2 will be released as a complete boxset right off the bat (and yes, it will be dubbed, as will all the upcoming Haruhi-related releases) and a free bonus CD is included. Hopefully K-On! will be given a similar treatment, though I can understand if they choose to release K-On! sub-only.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I have a double standard.

If it's a show I watched via fansubs and absolutely cannot wait to get it all, parts it is.

But if it's something I've never seen or if I think I can wait even though I had seen it via fansubs, complete set for me.

With parts, they tend to be more expensive overall, so I make sure I really like it and want it NOW. If I can wait or if it's something new to me, I can save a lot of money by getting a complete set. And with how fast Funi releases complete sets, waiting isn't that hard for me.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Hayate is over-priced even by single volume standards, so I'd just wait for the complete set like I am. It sounds like Toradora is just a limited release though (so I doubt a complete set will be released unless it sells much more than expected) and so will the rest of NIS America's anime licenses, so if you want the show you should pick it up sooner than later.

Well, as much as I appreciate their packaging with their reasonable and a few extras to compensate for the lack of dub, some of the extras doesn't seem to fully interest me with the possible exception of the possible exception of the episode guide and artbook. So there could be one reason why I would buy Toradora! right now (as well as increasing the chances for a dub for Toradora!). However, there is another reason why I would prefer waiting it out for a "complete collection" is that I can have all the episodes in a cheaper price, although this action would reduce the chances of a dub then.

The reason why Toradora! and many of their releases are limited editions is because, well, NIS America is new to the anime biz. I think they are doing this as some sort of "test run." And judging by the fact that Toradora premium box set 1 is already sold out at Right Stuf within two weeks after the initial release, I think I may have already lose out on the deal with Toradora!

As for Hayate, I think I can see your argument here. Considering the series is like 52 episodes long and Bandai is releasing them in 7 sub-only episodes set singles, it's probably best to wait for a "complete collection."

Quote:
Bandai does seem to be getting their act together. Haruhi Season 2 will be released as a complete boxset right off the bat (and yes, it will be dubbed, as will all the upcoming Haruhi-related releases) and a free bonus CD is included. Hopefully K-On! will be given a similar treatment, though I can understand if they choose to release K-On! sub-only.

We'll have to wait wait and see. Comic-Con happens to be around the corner. From what I've read, Bandai Entertainment is having a panel there. I'm not sure if K-ON! will get a dub or not (as the only information I know is that Cristina Vee will play as Mio for the marketing videos). However, I did recall from an ANNCast (during the controversy with Bang Zoom!) that Eric P. Sherman mentioned that they are also working on "another anime title" along with Haruhi Suzumiya season 2. There could be a small chance that the "other title" can also be either other Bandai titles or Durarara!!
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I like complete collections that save space. However, I am not at all opposed to buying parts either. I will gladly double dip and sell off the "parts" or singles when I get the complete collection. Obviously that isn't saving me any money, but it also focuses my buying more on my absolute favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
I like complete collections that save space. However, I am not at all opposed to buying parts either. I will gladly double dip and sell off the "parts" or singles when I get the complete collection. Obviously that isn't saving me any money, but it also focuses my buying more on my absolute favorites.

Well, that reminds me, I did mention the "double dip" thread that I prefer "complete collections." However, this is a special case here. Two of the said series I've mentioned (Hayate the Combat Butler! and Toradora!) are released subbed-only and I want to watch these series dubbed. I was thinking of waiting out for a "complete collection" where it has a dub, but at the same time, I was thinking of buying the sub-only sets to help better releases for the future like Blu-Ray, special extras, or a dub. So I'm really stuck in the limbo here.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Now when I say this I'm not saying that I think my point of view is superior to others, but the way a company judges whether a show will be picked up for other seasons is how well they sell at first. Examples I can draw upon are the first seasons of Kodocha and Big Wind-up, as the first seasons didn't sell sell well enough to warrant Funimation picking up later seasons. It's too bad, I totally sympathize with people who want to save money and also with the view that it is not the responsibility of a single customer to prop up the entire industry.
So because of that, I'd recommend that if you really like the show and want later seasons to come out, buy the part 1 dvds when they first comes out. If you don't particularly care or don't like the show that much, wait till the season boxset comes out.
Also, if you like a show and don't expect it to do well and there is a limited print run, or the company has a reputation of doing limited print runs, get the part 1 collections when you can.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
It's really hard to tell how sales of singles or half-season sets affect when a complete collection will be released, with FUNImation it seems that strong sales of the half-season sets will delay the complete collection while weak sales will result in quick release of the complete collection. In addition, in some cases when the complete collection comes out TRSI will blow out the half season sets so it's actually cheaper to buy them than the complete collection. Then again, do we wait for a possible S.A.V.E. collection? in my situation, it's not only a desire not to overpay but I also have a huge backlog so if I buy something now I may not watch it till sometime in 2012 so I feel I need to be patient. I really feel stupid if I overpay for something that gets a big price reduction before I've even watched it. I rarely come across any anime recently that I feel I just can't live without so I don't worry too much about missing out on something.

What I have done a lot on older shows is buy the singles and art box from the TRSI bargain bin rather than collections because since I have a house now space is not so big an issue, as long as it doesn't cost me too much more than the complete collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1