• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gankutsuou, Geneon or Funimation Boxset?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of purchasing the series in the near future but I need a suggestion on which box set is better overall. I know the Funimation boxset is only on 4 dvds(which leads to lower video quality?) but has 5.1 audio. The Geneon one is more spread out but only has 2.0 audio. For those who either or both sets, which one is better quality wise overall or are they the same?
braves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not an audiophile, so I won't comment on the audio, but the Geneon box set has great video quality. The box is simply gorgeous and the singles have reversible covers for every volume, so that's another thing to keep in mind, if you're interested in packaging.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
not as cheap as the S.A.V.E. edition but theres still a bunch left of the original Geneon release at Rightstuf. I dont really mind about the audio differences as long as theres a good quality on the video i will get what will look best on my shelf. thats my opinion about it so its up to you to decide for yourself
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Gankutsuou isn't one of the sets that I noticed a difference in video quality between the original release and Funimation's. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention? However, there is a big difference in some other series, like Le Chevalier d'Eon. The Funimation version of that series looks like absolute shit compared to the ADV release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
In terms of general appearence, I would go with the Geneon release. I think you can get it on rightstuf for very cheap. The Geneon release is much more gorgeous, but I can't comment on the Funimation release since I haven't seen it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1