• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How did Sailor Moon get popular?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I read the book "Anime Encyclopedia" and it never says there how Sailor Moon became popular in the US. It just said that Sailor Moon flopped in the US because it was shown very early in the morning.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
It got, relatively-speaking, a lot more popular, but never Pokémon "popular" or Yu-Gi-Oh "popular" or even Dragonball Z "popular", when DiC stopped syndicating it to local stations and CN started airiing it instead.

It's always been a much more niche show in the United States than it was in Canada, thanks to YTV's scheduling of the show at noon and at 3:30 p.m. back in 1995.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam.:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote
i never liked it either, it was ***. The online Sailor Moon fandom was strong. But Sailor Moon was a big flop on TV in the States. Sailor Moon was just starting to become popular on TV and in the mainstreem but just then in 1996 DraonBall Z premiered on local Cable TV. i think once DBZ was released on CN it all over for Sailor Moon. On the contrary i heard it was pretty popular up in Canada.

Thats just my opinion on why Sailor Moon was a flop in the States. I think before DBZ came out SMoon was doing pretty good on TV.

Last edited by Sam.: on Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I know, okay distpite the time it became popular with girls. Many girls saw it, thought it was cool and became anime fans. How do I know this, because that's how I got into anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Sam.: wrote:
i never liked it either, it was gay.

You might wanna refrain from using gay in derogatory terms like that. Some of your fellow posters may very well be gay, and will no doubt take offense. I only bring it up because, if I didn't, someone else would of. Not to mention that if you continue, our wise and powerful Mods will destory you...so uh, yeah.

It's a very politically correct board
beau8th

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote
MelancholyDevil wrote:
i never liked it either, it was gay.

You might wanna refrain from using gay in derogatory terms like that. Some of your fellow posters may very well be gay, and will no doubt take offense. I only bring it up because, if I didn't, someone else would of. Not to mention that if you continue, our wise and powerful Mods will destory you...so uh, yeah.

It's a very politically correct board

I never cuss on forums, never ever. So everyone can trust me, and I like Sailor Moon, its one of my favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I became a fan by just getting lucky really early one morning and finding it aired on a local channel when I was little. From then on I was hooked.

I have doubts that DBZ killed Sailor Moon's popularity. The target audience for both shows are completely different. DBZ targeted boys with the need to calm the raging hormones they possibly didn't have yet, and Sailor Moon catered to all the girls who were busy playing Barbie, and actually found a cool show for girls on tv. Like mentioned before, it turned most of its girl fans into anime fans. I started watching sailor moon about 8 years ago, and still am a giant fan of the series. I admit it seems really stupid now, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it for old times sake.

I blame Sailor Moon's lack in popularity on how it was handled here in the US. For the longest time it didn't have a network, then it gets one, and they just use it as filler. That, and even then it never really got advertised. Then there was the whole overkill with reruns issue.

And Sam, I think you should avoid future comments such as "i never liked it either, it was gay." Some people on here are rather sensitive to comments like that.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
If Sailor Moon was shown today uncut, it might grab the attention of older girls and possibly a few guys because of the lesbian thing in the show.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Reason why it's popular is because it's one of the first few anime that most people saw with magical school girl in miniskirt. Not many cartoon in the U.S. at that time had magic + school girl + miniskirt.
Sam.:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
MelancholyDevil wrote:
i never liked it either, it was ***.
You might wanna refrain from using *** in derogatory terms like that. Some of your fellow posters may very well be ***, and will no doubt take offense. I only bring it up because, if I didn't, someone else would of. Not to mention that if you continue, our wise and powerful Mods will destory you...so uh, yeah.It's a very politically correct board

Yeah I should have read the rules more closely MD. Sorry. Also quit pointing out and making it look like a big deal. You just ruined it dude. Btw are you ***? Because you pointed out my mistake I was wondering. Or did you point out my mistake simply because it would you make you look cool. and your putting me down at the same time. I must apologize in advance if I offend anyone. sorry. **say in his mind****wow i didn't to Sailor Moon fans still existed**
aisasami

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
If Sailor Moon was shown today uncut, it might grab the attention of older girls and possibly a few guys because of the lesbian thing in the show.

Not true. My sister watches Sailormoon uncut and she is young. My point is that you don't have to be any age to watch something uncut. >>;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:19 pm Reply with quote
aisasami wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:

Not true. My sister watches Sailormoon uncut and she is young. My point is that you don't have to be any age to watch something uncut. >>;

I don't think that's what he meant. I think the point was that the mature situations would attract a mature (physically, not necessarily mentally) audience.

Anyway, how did Sailor Moon get so popular? Hmmm. Aside from the possibility of piggybacking on Pokémon's success, how about good timing and placement by Cartoon Network?
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Anyway, how did Sailor Moon get so popular? Hmmm. Aside from the possibility of piggybacking on Pokémon's success, how about good timing and placement by Cartoon Network?

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Uh, how could Sailor Moon piggyback on Pokemon's success? Sailor Moon is older then Pokemon in both Japan and the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Angel Lily wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Uh, how could Sailor Moon piggyback on Pokemon's success? Sailor Moon is older then Pokemon in both Japan and the US.

That, and it really has nothing in common other than it's from Japan, and I don't know about most kids, but when I was little, I could barely tell the difference between Japanese and American animation.
The_Immortal_Angel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I read the book "Anime Encyclopedia" and it never says there how Sailor Moon became popular in the US. It just said that Sailor Moon flopped in the US because it was shown very early in the morning.

can you tell me, where from can i buy that encyclopedia ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2