• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Politician Cosplays as Evangelion's Gendō for Election

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H0shi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
Wow...even anime infiltrates politics!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
hyojodoji wrote:
Anime News Network wrote:
Mitsuhashi previously wrote an economic analysis of the popular online bulletin board system 2channel,

Actually, Mitsuhashi posted economic articles on 2ch.

How are those two statements different?
2channel who's URL is 2ch.net.
Or was he posting on 2ch, with economic articles.
Needs more grammar to sort the ambiguity out.

See the 'Update' section.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-06/politician-cosplays-as-evangelion-gendo-for-election
animenewsnetwork.com/cms/changelog/34600/
The ANN staffer(s) correctly understood what I had said.

prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It makes me laugh that Japanese politicians are following Taro Aso's "pander to otaku" formula.

Here's hoping in the 2012 American elections they decide the nerd vote is strong and they have to cosplay as Star Wars characters and appear at Comic-con to shore up that demo.

Reminds me of that SNL sketch they did years ago, where the candidates did their speeches at a Star Trek convention.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder at what point does one decide that doing something like this will win enough support from the otaku crowd to balance out any raised eyebrows and assorted other wtfs from other people.

eyeresist wrote:
But then, when you cosplay, you have to play to your physical type.
You sound like you've never been to an anime convention in your life.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
iSugoi wrote:
This is why the American political sphere is so uninteresting to people. Dressing up as Spider-man or Superman would get more people involved and focused, I'm absolutely sure of it. Laughing

Hell yeah! I would defiantly be more into politics if they didn't have to dress in suits all the time. I'd love to see our senators do some superhero cosplay. Oh well American politics will remain boring as usual.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Oh my God, photos please. Laughing

Took the words right outta my mouth, comrade.

Ho-ly cow. Anime hyper
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
iSugoi wrote:
This is why the American political sphere is so uninteresting to people. Dressing up as Spider-man or Superman would get more people involved and focused, I'm absolutely sure of it. Laughing

Almost there.
Wired: 5 Signs President-Elect Obama Is a Geek

The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering how well Evangelion has been selling in the country, I can't say it's not a bad move for someone up on the Japanese economy.

Meanwhile, let's not forget that the Liberal Democrats are actually the economically conservative party, being literally liberal toward business like our Republicans. So this is more akin to Bush dressing up as Darth Vader, Dick Cheney being Lex Luthor, or Palin going around looking like President Laura Roslin from Battlestar Galactica than Obama posing in front of Superman. You know, another illegal alien with no birth record! (I kid! I kid! Though like Superman, I do think Obama is overrated too.)
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
willag wrote:
Click the Sports Nippon link in the article. You can find a picture of him and a woman dressed up as Rei there.

That better not be his wife! Laughing

after look at the pic. if you said he is wearing navy uniform, i would believe you. it's not that bad.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
willag wrote:
Click the Sports Nippon link in the article. You can find a picture of him and a woman dressed up as Rei there.

That better not be his wife! Laughing

after look at the pic. if you said he is wearing navy uniform, i would believe you. it's not that bad.

If his wife: Gendo + Ayanami = fanboys' wet dream! Laughing
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
ok we need to get Obama to Japan and trick him into cospaly. They got him into that Arabian Nights number one time.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
iSugoi wrote:

Almost there.
Wired: 5 Signs President-Elect Obama Is a Geek

So we get Obama to dress up as Superman for re-election and then Joe Bidden can go as Batman and Michelle Obama as Posion Ivy (which works as she has instituted a big sustainable vegetable garden on the white house grounds). Then the Republicans can run as Marvel characters and we can have a good ole fashioned comic super hero showdown.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
40-year-old economic commentator Takaaki Mitsuhashi campaigned for this summer's House of Councillors election by hosting a "cosplay party" at the Liberal Democratic Party's Tokyo headquarters on Saturday.

I must humbly admit that I initially misinterpreted this as indicating the existence of a cosplaying political party. If one were to be formed, one fathoms it would quickly and easily gain the reliable support of its key voting demographic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Politicians cosplaying? Sounds pretty cool to me. Very Happy
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, cause dressing up as cartoon characters is far more important than them getting anything done to fix the problems the country and world faces. Who cares if there's a giant oil spill in the gulf, the economy's in the tank, unemployment is still high, and we're still in a war in the middle east? Just as long as Obama dresses up as Superman, then fanboys can be happy about our president!

Hell, at least this guy Evangelion is selling well in Japan and this politician is endorsing it. When's the last time Superman sold well? What has Obama for US comics done other than sell some crappy variant covers and that Spdier-man one in particular?

I keep hearing about all the wonderful change that Obama brought... but I don;'t see any of it happening. Dressing up in a costume is maybe one hollow symbolic gesture the administration hasn't tried.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3