• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gundam 00 DVD Season 2 Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I wanted to mention, on the subject of the English dub, by the way, that I was quite unimpressed with it. None one of Ocean's better dubs, and it's a shame, because there were a lot of talented VAs involved. They seemed to have phoned in a lot of their performances.

finally a dub we can agree on! i was also rather unimpressed with Oceans dub, then again there are a lot of Oceans dubs i have problems with.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Let's not turn this into a "team up on Charred Knight" thread. I may disagree with a lot of his opinions, because frankly, I think he reads way too much into some things, but it's not like he's the only one here with issues with this show, and he's more than willing to articulate why. Debate, don't snipe.

I want to reiterate that I enjoyed the show, but I'm not in any hurry to collect it on DVD. I'll wait and see how the movie turns out.

I wanted to mention, on the subject of the English dub, by the way, that I was quite unimpressed with it. None one of Ocean's better dubs, and it's a shame, because there were a lot of talented VAs involved. They seemed to have phoned in a lot of their performances.

I am used to this type of stuff, I am not exactly an easy person to get along with. It's only natural that since Kaioshin and me agree on nothing that we wouldn't get along. As for the dub, it's arguably the worst Gundam TV series dub with only Gundam Seed, as bad, though right now I would still put Gundam 00 as the worst. The voices where either bland or just bad. The only person who gave a standout performance was Scott Mcneil, who was amazing.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
I mostly just don't agree with Charred Knight breaking Godwin's Law by contrasting Gundam 00's depiction of war with Hitler. Was it really necessary to invoke his name in a discussion of why you don't like Gundam 00?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I mostly just don't agree with Charred Knight breaking Godwin's Law by contrasting Gundam 00's depiction of war with Hitler. Was it really necessary to invoke his name in a discussion of why you don't like Gundam 00?

So you would have liked me to have used Imperial Japan instead? I chose that example because of the insanity involved with that group. In particular with the attempts to make peace with Hitler by giving him land. Though I could also have used Imperial Japan as America tried to talk to them and settle things peacefully as well.

My point is that claiming that war is caused by a misunderstanding really doesn't stand up when you look at history.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Technically both those examples are still misunderstandings. They're just us misunderstanding that all they wanted was lots of land and not peace. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Totally disagree, couldn't be farther from the truth.

And Charred Knight...worse than Gundam SEED? Really? What anime are you guys watching here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
well come it was done by canada voice roster aka ocean

besides yet english was ok but yet i do bit going what a bit

notable examples

setsuna aka set-light it's odd he get same seiyu & english as light really a bit similar.

summeragi aka murrue ramius 2.0 same brown hair, female in charge of the skip & same english voice.

patrick aka 00 rip-off but big-mouth rip of mu la flaga hello same english & mu moment in later on 2nd half

& feldt pink hair, blue eyes, young female, & chantal strand's voice really she did improve a bit more really ocean really should have her do a main lead feamle role.

overall it was mix-feel but i'm still on the say GS series is more worth it than 00.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:09 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Let's not turn this into a "team up on Charred Knight" thread. I may disagree with a lot of his opinions, because frankly, I think he reads way too much into some things, but it's not like he's the only one here with issues with this show, and he's more than capable to articulate why. Debate, don't snipe.

No, you know what, I refuse and I'll tell you why. I've tried that and there are some people worth debating with and then there are just those who serve to frustrate you by (as you put it) "reading into things way to much". And you know if the debate never goes anywhere then I'm not going to waste my time doing anything other than warning people that their time might very well be wasted as well if they try to engage proven one note posters like Charred Knight .

Take Klac for example, have you ever seen him make anything other than the post he does above? It's like a checklist that's just always going to be the same drivel no matter what you say in reply or how you try to engage them. No punctuation, no capitals, no coherency, Set-Light, Seed comparison and lest we forget Chantal Strand's voice. The way I see it with Charred Knight he does in fact have the coherency down (which in the average anime forum these days is I suppose a virtue even though it should be a prerequisite), but it's always just going to be Mizushima, Kuroda, Hitler, Japan is evil, Super Robots=Bad etc. If that's what you want then by all means take up the conversation, but I'm telling everyone right now that's pretty much all you are going to get in the long run.

Oh and Charred Knight and I have agreed on a few things in the past, but the propensity of the same old tired anti-geass/Gundam 00 bullshit he's shoveled at me and the whole xenophobic conspiracy theorist posts that seem to imply that he thinks Nazi's and the Empire of Japan (and whatever other Early 20th century fascist groups there were) are out to get him with propaganda through shows like Gundam and Code Geass just destroy any desire I have to tolerate him at this point.
KLAC

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:04 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Let's not turn this into a "team up on Charred Knight" thread. I may disagree with a lot of his opinions, because frankly, I think he reads way too much into some things, but it's not like he's the only one here with issues with this show, and he's more than capable to articulate why. Debate, don't snipe.

No, you know what, I refuse and I'll tell you why. I've tried that and there are some people worth debating with and then there are just those who serve to frustrate you by (as you put it) "reading into things way to much". And you know if the debate never goes anywhere then I'm not going to waste my time doing anything other than warning people that their time might very well be wasted as well if they try to engage proven one note posters like Charred Knight .

Take Klac for example, have you ever seen him make anything other than the post he does above? It's like a checklist that's just always going to be the same drivel no matter what you say in reply or how you try to engage them. No punctuation, no capitals, no coherency, Set-Light, Seed comparison and lest we forget Chantal Strand's voice. The way I see it with Charred Knight he does in fact have the coherency down (which in the average anime forum these days is I suppose a virtue even though it should be a prerequisite), but it's always just going to be Mizushima, Kuroda, Hitler, Japan is evil, Super Robots=Bad etc. If that's what you want then by all means take up the conversation, but I'm telling everyone right now that's pretty much all you are going to get in the long run.

Oh and Charred Knight and I have agreed on a few things in the past, but the propensity of the same old tired anti-geass/Gundam 00 bullshit he's shoveled at me and the whole xenophobic conspiracy theorist posts that seem to imply that he thinks Nazi's and the Empire of Japan (and whatever other Early 20th century fascist groups there were) are out to get him with propaganda through shows like Gundam and Code Geass just destroy any desire I have to tolerate him at this point.

hoi what sayin on me?!

look my gundam experiece is mostly on GS give like let say since 04 while 00 is just don't got same vibe as GS is many ways.

give i don' like idea of 2 halves of 25eps it was too mix.

gvie 2nd half have too many trust-truth issues besides yet the englsih really i so keep calling setsuna the set-light cause is so remind of LIGHT YAGAMI same vocies & bit similar.

& oh Chantal Strand really the way she sounded was ok give she been really very impressive since she did the Lacus really she got the voice to sound for a main lead female roles.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:

hoi what sayin on me?!

look my gundam experiece is mostly on GS give like let say since 04 while 00 is just don't got same vibe as GS is many ways.

give i don' like idea of 2 halves of 25eps it was too mix.

gvie 2nd half have too many trust-truth issues besides yet the englsih really i so keep calling setsuna the set-light cause is so remind of LIGHT YAGAMI same vocies & bit similar.

& oh Chantal Strand really the way she sounded was ok give she been really very impressive since she did the Lacus really she got the voice to sound for a main lead female roles.

He has a point you know, I can't understand a word you're saying.

Seriously though, when did this go from a review about Gundam 00 to a review of the fellow users?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KLAC

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
yea why me?!

give fact i'm quite known in other anime forums & yet also very interest on Lacus.

besides yet why i even watch 00 was indeed Chantal Strand's voice really way she sounded is really something give she only 22yrs.

really she so sounded to be a main lead role type.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
We get it, you like Chantal Strand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
To be fair Chantral Strand has improved since Gundam Seed, I was really impressed with her work on Gundam Seed Destiny, I wouldn't call her one of the best VA's but she's become decent.

I will admit to having massive problems with Code Geass (primarly it's morality) but I will point out that my complaints of Gundam 00 is more along the lines of the fact that they had tremendous talent with Mizushima and Kuroda but the second season was a major let down. I for the most part liked the first season.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Mon May 03, 2010 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
KLAC

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
To be fair Chantral Strand has improved since Gundam Seed, I was really impressed with her work on Gundam Seed Destiny, I wouldn't call her one of the best VA's but she's become decent.

while I will admit to having massive problems with Code Geass but I will point out that my complaints of Gundam 00 is more along the lines of the fact that they had tremendous talent with Mizushima and Kuroda but the second season was a major let down. I for the most part liked the first season.

well yea Chantal Strand have been something she did the Lacus really she really should be cast in main lead female roles.

truely the way she have sounded really she one of those next generation batches (25yrs & under) of well known english voices.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Gundam 00 was occasionally patchy and seemed to shift it's status quo a little too often too suddenly at times, but on the whole I thought it was a fantastic series... significantly better than Gundam Seed, and had some utterly gripping pieces of space/mecha combat the likes of which we just don't see enough of these days. In particular the last couple of episodes of season 2 are spectacular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4