• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gundam 00 DVD Season 2 Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
A B+ for this heap of disappointing and messy faecal matter? Wow. I'd say something cliche like "Did we watch the same show?", but I've given up trying to expect you to see reason.
''

I think the season 2 is very good. Tastes clashes I guess.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So Carl's dumb because he doesn't want to fight about his opinion with you?

That's not what I said. I thought you were above such underhanded tactics, but from your behaviour, it appears not.

Zac wrote:
I think you've done very well to show you aren't really worth arguing with in the first place because you just can't help being mean-spirited and insulting (as we see right here), much less for someone who purposefully avoids the forums.

And yet, I notice the very conspicuous absence of you claiming that I'm also wrong. Maybe I am a little harsh, although given the reviewer and his record I often believe I'm not being harsh enough. But my arguments, and my criticisms, are quite valid. Of course, I'm so tired of his antics that I feel this time that unless he's going to come out and chat then I won't bother writing a big post. I don't want to waste my time, and I don't want to get embroiled in yet another vitriol-filled thread.

As far as I'm concerned, I expressed my (strong) disagreement in my first post, and that's as far as I wanted to take my involvement here. I have been dragged into two further posts, but there will not be a fourth. Too much of a hassle.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Zac wrote:

That's not what I said. I thought you were above such underhanded tactics, but from your behaviour, it appears not.

Excuse me.

dtm42 wrote:
It's like arguing with a wall, both in the difficulty of getting a reply and the intelligence of the other party.

I'm done playing these stupid games with you. Out you go.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai's dub isn't a huge draw. To be sure, it's professionally done (none of that outsourcing to Singapore that tanked a couple of their dubs some years back), but it's also seriously low-tension. You can lay most of that at the door of their subtitle-hugging script with its loving preservation of the original's cheese factor (for added fun, mentally replace any mention of "A-LAWS" with "in-laws"), but the actors must lay claim to a share of the blame as well. Too few of the roles are played with any energy, and when they are—as with Brent Miller's Smirnov—it's the wrong kind (goodbye soldierly formality, hello blustering Patton impersonation). There is good work throughout, for example Cathy Weseluck's hard-edged female commander Mannequin and basically anyone who did well in season one, but not enough of it. Saji's crisis of conscience, Soma's reaction to an inhuman A-LAWS tactic, Marie and Allelujah's reunion—any number of important developments lose crucial impact in the dub.

I'm sorry but I can't disagree more with this. I felt that this was an amazing English dub so I'm shocked that it's receiving such criticism.

First of all you can't hold the fact that the English dialogue sticks closely to the sub's against it, that makes no sense. If that's true it just means all those so-called cheesy lines are also in the sub version, so in the end the script isn't any worse.

As for the actors themselves, I think they're amazing. Of course, VAs like Brad Swaile and Richard Cox are some of my absolute favorites and I always feel they do a great job. But that aside, even the more minor roles were acted out very well in my opinion. I can't believe you trashed Brent Miller's performance as Smirnov, and if you're saying that Marie/Soma's VA wasn't up to par then I just can't follow you there. And then there's Saji...why so many people seem to dislike his VA I don't know, but I personally consider him to have one of the best voices in the series.

Concerning something else you mentioned, I don't really see how the animation ever suffered any downgrades. If anything it looks better across the board in my eyes.

Gundam SEED had great emotional heights? I must've missed something there when I was watching it then.

All that aside, good review (especially with that comparison to Code Geass, which just happens to be my favorite anime, I completely agree there Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
If their is one thing I can agree on and that is that Gundam 00 Season 2 is a lot like Code Geass R2, though Gundam 00 wasn't morally rephrehensible like Code Geass was.

Both pretend to be intellectual while their isn't an intellectual thought to be found, Gundam 00 says nothing, and while Gundam Seed might not be as well executed it at least says something. Meanwhile Gundam 00 is content to pretend that people of different ethnicities can get along while ignoring the middle east crisis, the problems in Arizona, and various other problems.

Frankly, Gundam 00 is just as bad as Gundam Seed Destiny, just replace character derailment with an idiotic message. Both of their battles are completely lackluster with only a few shining through, though overall Gundam 00 has better battles while Gundam Seed Destiny has better music.

Oh yeah and

"I AM GUNDAM!"

"MARIE'!"
"AllALEUJAH!"
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...and while Gundam Seed might not be as well executed it at least says something.

Go on...

Quote:
Meanwhile Gundam 00 is content to pretend that people of different ethnicities can get along while ignoring the middle east crisis, the problems in Arizona, and various other problems.

I don't see a problem with that. It's not like what's occurring there is a reality in a different dimension.

Quote:
Frankly, Gundam 00 is just as bad as Gundam Seed Destiny, just replace character derailment with an idiotic message.

You don't tell us much, do you? Calling it names without explaining wouldn't possibly provide any positive feedback. What's this "idiotic message" you speak of?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
...and while Gundam Seed might not be as well executed it at least says something.

Go on...

Quote:
Meanwhile Gundam 00 is content to pretend that people of different ethnicities can get along while ignoring the middle east crisis, the problems in Arizona, and various other problems.

I don't see a problem with that. It's not like what's occurring there is a reality in a different dimension.

Quote:
Frankly, Gundam 00 is just as bad as Gundam Seed Destiny, just replace character derailment with an idiotic message.

You don't tell us much, do you? Calling it names without explaining wouldn't possibly provide any positive feedback. What's this "idiotic message" you speak of?

It talks about the corruption of goverment by supporting big business while ignoring the people you are supposed to represent (while present in the first series it's blatant with Logos being in charge of the Atlantic Alliance).

The problem is that Gundam 00 tries to be relevant but can't see the world from a different view than you would get from a normal japanese. The result is that it's hard for me as an American to take what Kuroda and Mizushima say seriously.

The idiotic message is that war is caused by misunderstanding, which ignores the fact that Hitler knew very well what he was doing and just didn't care, same with the various other wars. People are not stupid they know very well what they are doing, misunderstanding only happens when the person you elect is stupid.

Though all those problems are really for the second half of season 2, my primary problem with the first part of the second season was the obnoxious romance between Marie and Allelujah.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight, did you really have to jump headlong into Godwin's Law so early? You could've compared to any other war in the world's long history besides the one with you-know-who in WW2.

Sure Gundam 00 could've done things differently, and sure not all wars are caused by misunderstandings, but some are. Just because many aren't caused by misunderstandings, why should Gundam 00's wars be expected to follow that? It's not supposed to be a summary of all the wars in Earth's history.

I happen to like Gundam 00 too. Sure it's not that profound, but I watch anime to be entertained, not to be taught political science. Gundam 00 has entertaining fights and characters and a cool setting, I like the series, both seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Charred Knight, did you really have to jump headlong into Godwin's Law so early? You could've compared to any other war in the world's long history besides the one with you-know-who in WW2.

Sure Gundam 00 could've done things differently, and sure not all wars are caused by misunderstandings, but some are. Just because many aren't caused by misunderstandings, why should Gundam 00's wars be expected to follow that? It's not supposed to be a summary of all the wars in Earth's history.

I happen to like Gundam 00 too. Sure it's not that profound, but I watch anime to be entertained, not to be taught political science. Gundam 00 has entertaining fights and characters and a cool setting, I like the series, both seasons.

The thing was supposed to be more realistic, and make sense, not to be completely unrealistic and just include things Mizushima and Kuroda saw while playing Metal Gear Solid.

Don't tell me your going to make an intelligent piece of work, fail and then tell me that you wheren't trying to make an intelligent piece of work. As for the thing being entertaining, Gundam Seed Destiny was more entertaining, at least it had some cool super weapons. Sure the battles for the end of season 1 and the begenning of season 2 was good, but the rest was nothing more than boring Celestial Being slaughters a whole bunch of mechs I saw in Gundam Seed Destiny except without the excellent soundtrack.

Now their where some good dramatics, and this disc is the highlight of the series but Gundam 00 is not the series that was advertised to me as the rebirth of intelligent Gundam.

Their are a ton of better gundams and a lot of better series out their like Gurren Lagann, and Super Robot Wars Original Generation: Divine War.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Excuse me.

dtm42 wrote:
It's like arguing with a wall, both in the difficulty of getting a reply and the intelligence of the other party.

I'm done playing these stupid games with you. Out you go.

Oh please tell me you actually did what I'm hoping you just did. Please please please....

RogueJedi86 wrote:

Lol, more like 2 years ago early. Everything is a Hitler comparison too Charred Knight (and often ironically enough with vaguely racist/white supremacist undertones that he is completely oblivious to as he tries to draw the comparison), especially with Code Geass and pretty much on a daily basis over on another forum I hang out at literally for the past 2 years straight. You have no idea how much of a hard on this guy has against that show and Gundam 00, and boy does he want you to know just how OMG terrible it is for the rest of eternity. Every day on other forums I have to share with him it's Okouchi bad writer this, Taniguchi incompetent that, Muzushima (since he still refuses to spell the guys name correctly that) terrible this....like he actually went out of his way to sing the praises of FMA: Brotherhood not because he thinks it's a good show, but because Seiji Mizushima the original FMA's director also directed Gundam 00 and he now HATES the guy and anything he was involved in so much that he will find anyway possible, rational or otherwise to point it out to everyone.

We're talking like life's cause level. I'm not exaggerating when I say that's it's all he ever posts about anywhere that I've run into him in such volumes that it's taken on the appearance of chain-letter spam. All the while he's oblivious to the fact that nobody cares by the 30th time his topic has been run into the ground and that god forbid they could have a different view of anything than him.

I promise you you will be missing nothing by just ignoring him since he never contributes anything of worth to a discussion topic. Ignore now, otherwise he will drag you into a circular argument that will never go anywhere anyway and waste yours and everyone else's time. Even if you end up settling and agreeing with him just to shut him up he'll still come back and do it all over again on the next related topic so it's best just to pretend he doesn't exist and stop feeding the fire.

Anyway I'm just sorry that ANN has to put up with him now really. It's really quite terrible and I wish somebody would just put a stop to it already.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I hate circular arguments.

*Starts ignoring*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say this, but i actually agree with Charred Knight, Gundam 00 second season is a mess. I actually couldn't finish it, i got to the point where one of them cross-dressed and then dropped it, it was the last straw in ongoing stream of BS the show was spewing.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I hate to say this, but i actually agree with Charred Knight, Gundam 00 second season is a mess. I actually couldn't finish it, i got to the point where one of them cross-dressed and then dropped it, it was the last straw in ongoing stream of BS the show was spewing.

Why do you hate to agree with me?
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Why do you hate to agree with me?

Because your an idiot?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:52 am Reply with quote
Let's not turn this into a "team up on Charred Knight" thread. I may disagree with a lot of his opinions, because frankly, I think he reads way too much into some things, but it's not like he's the only one here with issues with this show, and he's more than capable to articulate why. Debate, don't snipe.

I want to reiterate that I enjoyed the show, but I'm not in any hurry to collect it on DVD. I'll wait and see how the movie turns out.

I wanted to mention, on the subject of the English dub, by the way, that I was quite unimpressed with it. None one of Ocean's better dubs, and it's a shame, because there were a lot of talented VAs involved. They seemed to have phoned in a lot of their performances.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat May 01, 2010 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4