• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nana Manga Creator Ai Yazawa Returns from Hospital

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, I hope she makes a full recovery. I haven't read Nana, but I love Paradise Kiss.

My ex-boyfriend loves to draw. The only reason he would stop would be some sort of terrible illness, or a hand injury. She must be going crazy from not being able to draw.

I hope that whatever is afflicting her, gets better soon for her. Her health comes first, but I also hope that she doesn't try to push herself during this recovery period. Her fans have waited a year. It won't kill them to wait for her to get her strength back.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope she recovers, but she lost me a long time ago, so I don't really care how it ends. Though I'm guessing her vision of the direction of the story was a tad more ambitious than she could keep up with.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
it's great that she is getting better and all that, but doesn't it seem weird that a lot mangaka somehow get all these serious diseases that make them put their works on hold?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
That's good news, if she's been in the hospital all this time it must have been pretty serious.
While I (and, I would imagine, all NANA fans) hope she's soon feeling well enough to continue, I also hope she takes it easy and only gets back to work when she's good and ready.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
it's great that she is getting better and all that, but doesn't it seem weird that a lot mangaka somehow get all these serious diseases that make them put their works on hold?

It seems to be fairly commonplace for mangaka to be rather overworked. I know that Yuu Watase also seems to be doing pretty much as much work as she can physically manage (there were periods when she has been working on three series at a time and it's been a long time since she had less than two on the go). I imagine part of it is that they love to do it but I sometimes wonder if the publishers aren't demanding too much.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy she's feeling better.
Pal0ma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I share the same concerns that marie-antoinette voiced. I worry that the manga-ka profession leads to serious overwork issues and they don't feel as if they can achieve balance. No wonder so many of them end up ill.

I had to give up my work as an artist due to an auto-immune disease; there are a good few illnesses that could leave one unable to hold a pen (Rheumatoid Arthritis, MS, Fibromyalgia, neurological problems come immediately to mind) and it must be so frustrating for her. How difficult to put a job you love on hold! My heart and sympathy go out to Yazawa-san and I wish her a speedy, full recovery.

It can be very easy for fans (myself included) to take these wonderful artists for granted. It's been heartening to see all the well wishes in this thread instead of the predominant: "what about Nana??!!" that could be. Hopefully with so many wishing her health she will recover soon and be back to what she loves. If not, then I'm truly thankful for all the talent she's shared and characters that touched my heart.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that she's on the mend. If she's unable to return to work in the future, I hope she'll at least consider revealing how Nana's plot should conclude. That way, in the worst case scenario, it could be novelized or even drawn by a different artist.

Also, has there been any gossip about what her unspecified illness actually is? I know people are guessing hand injury, but she was in the hospital for such a long time I think it has to be something else (unless she was getting intense physical therapy).

marie-antoinette wrote:
I know that Yuu Watase also seems to be doing pretty much as much work as she can physically manage (there were periods when she has been working on three series at a time and it's been a long time since she had less than two on the go).

To be fair, Yuu Watase is kind of notorious for having a huge staff. I don't think anyone could manage her workload without an army of assistants.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I am very glad to hear that she's feeling better. I agree with some of you that mangaka seem to be overworked. And, as has already been said, the most important thing is her health and focusing on getting better, not on jumping back into her work if she isn't ready. Here's to hoping she makes a full recovery.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
As with everyone, I'm worried. It must have been very serious for her to to touch a pen in so long.

She's my favorite Josei creator, I really enjoyed the Paradise Kiss anime (never read the manga) and I am enjoying the Nana manga. I hope she completes Nana, it would be a huge shame to see it unfinished given the current mystery taking place in the series.

-t
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Geesh, didn't know this happened. I hope that she get well. I wish her all the best.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh thank goodness!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
As much as I miss Nana and I would like to see it concluded, first of all I hope her illness isn't life-treating and that she'll fully recover soon.

I was really sad when I heard about this matter, since I really appreciate Ai Yazawa as a mangaka/artist. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
How strange that I was thinking about this just today. I was watching the anime and then started to think about the manga and whether we will ever get more.

Anyway, glad that Yazawa-sensei is back and in better health. I so want to see more of NANA. I cannot imagine not knowing how it will end. It is her best work after all.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
If?! You can't have an "If" with Nana. I hope it wasn't a hand injury, that would really be the worst, for her and for us. It's good she's back from the hospital though, for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3