• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Angel Beats! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porco Rosso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
So this is what Haruhi Suzumiya has been up to lately. After successfully directing a movie few years back she is now launching an anime series. Cool.

This time Haruhi also plays the lead role by herself, and as a great Haruhi-fan I'm overly happy to see that. My only complaint is her voice: every time I see Haruhi speak, I hear somebody else's voice. Distracts me immensely. The role of the main antagonist goes to Yuki Nagato, a trusted hand playing mysterious and quiet characters. What she lacks on words, she compensates on awesome presence. The rest of the cast can be politely described as insignificant, except for ENOZ which is back on stage in full force. Hope to see more of these chicks!

As it is usual for Haruhi productions, you can debate whether or not there is a plot, and logic is replaced by something else only few minds (?) can comprehend.

Anyway, I for one am eagerly looking forward for more episodes!
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for the main girl, I'm never going to remember her name since every ounce of her just screams Haruhi in to my brain whenever she's on screen

Your not going to remember a japanese girl called yuri. I found that pretty ironic in and of itself.

Personally im liking the concept alot and really wishing the next episode would hurry and and come so i can find out more about this world, the art is very pretty and as a character i find yuri engaging ( good thing to sinse she's the plot pusher).

On the downside however the other characters, main guy inclusive, are a little boring and really haven't distinguished themselves as anything save mounts for their guns. I also didn't find the comedy very funny and would have prefered less of it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As for Otanoshi, I KNEW his Seiyuu was the same guy who did Koyomi in Bakemonogatari. It seems like he's another Seiyuu (along with the likes of Jun Fukuyama and Mamoru Miyano) who always sound the same no matter the role.

He is also they same person who has been doing Izaya in Durarara,

I still think it is still a little early to judge an anime by it's first episode, Just look at Haruhi, if it was representive, it would have been pretty strange. The Angel seems to be on some series pictures and is one of the three main characters apparently, so it might be more then just an antagonist role.
bolfotha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
It does feel that they are mimicking the style of Haruhi

I don't inherently have any problems with that, but it seems that they are doing that just for the sake of mimicry

It's as if someone in the writing staff went.. oh! let's throw a live concert in the first episode. Live concerts are cool and Haruhi did it!

with no build up, it comes off more as cheap pandering than homage with a purpose

The plot itself reminds me of Haibane Renmei

I'm calling it now, Yuripe committed suicide
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
bolfotha wrote:
I'm calling it now, Yuripe committed suicide

Though they did say that spoiler[the amnesia may be atributed to death via head trauma, one theory that seems common would be car accident,] though suicide might make for more character or something.

I don't really confuse the girl as being haruhi as she looks fairly different, something about the haur, and she is a much better leader. Also did anyone notice that looks a lot like the bipolar girl in Kampfer?
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I like the flow of the first episode, the way it chucks you in with no knowledge as to what the f***'s going on, and you really feel like you're in this guy's shoes. Everything that he learns is new information to you, too. Including not knowing where he comes from or how he got there.

The animation is pretty solid too; definitely in the high tier in comparison with the other stuff available that I've seen this season.

Sadly, like others have said, the character designs aren't really grabbing my attention--besides Yuri, the only character that grabs my attention is the spoiler[American guy with the bandana. He's actually the sole comedic value so far that's made me laugh; what with pointing at everything and constantly dancing around...]
Wu Ming

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, the series seems to make use of some popular anime archetypes, but the plot seems interesting enough.

Although, does anyone get the feeling that the "SSS" might be barking up the wrong tree as to how the mechanics of the afterlife work?

It seems they are working off baseless assumptions powered by the fact that they all seem dissatisfied with the way their lives went down - excluding the main character of course since he can't remember jack at this point.

They seem to rebelling more at their fate than "God" and the "Angel" (or Supercomputer and Debugging program for all we know at this point).
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
None of the theories about 'Angel' seem to be based on objectivly verifiable information.

She says she isn't an angel. She says she is the student council president. Yurippe says 'Angel' won't answer questions, but she seems to be quite forthcoming; she even corroborates that Otanoshi is dead. The only reason she took action against him was because he literally asked her to prove he can't die. Later on (following advice from Yurippe), Otanashi shoots her without any real provocation. She responds to the gunfire by purely defensive actions. In fact, we haven't even seen anything that proves she would have tried to do anything to stop the concert.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
wedgeofpie wrote:

Did anyone else notice the heartbeat monitor thing in the Angel Beats motiff? Kind of put me in mind of a hospital...

Emphasis on posible meaning of the "Beats" bit of the title.

This will be quite different from all the other Key adaptations, as there is no other, complete, adaptation; yes I know it has a manga and light novel ongoing. Not being able to assume you know the plot makes a big difference. It hasn't got so much cut out, most of the humour remains intact, previous adaptations have ended up feeling far more serious than they should due to it's loss.
Also it's a linear story not an adaptation from an Adventure game, so hopefully it won't end up feeling harem-y due to that. The only other work we can compare it to is Planetarian.

It's also supposed to be more accesable to a wide audience, so shouldn't end up being made up of abstract flashbacks and dream sequences. More action has also helped lighten the tone, though it still feels reasonably serious. We do know it's going to be another tragedy/tearjerker story. Feels more sci-fi than fairytale this time, which I count as a good thing.

Last edited by Reaper gI on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I have been hearing around that people seem to be pretty confused with the show, that I have seen that some have required a recap to understand. I am finding it pretty easy to follow, I guess I am not too weirded out as I have seen shows like Haruhi and FLCL. I am able to follow the plot easily, by being able to follow what is going on in shows like Bakemonogatari, Spice and Wolf, etc.

And on the topic of the meal tickets, it actually answered a question I had while watching, about how did she get the coffee (or food) if they don't have any money.
TJR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I have been hearing around that people seem to be pretty confused with the show, that I have seen that some have required a recap to understand. I am finding it pretty easy to follow, I guess I am not too weirded out as I have seen shows like Haruhi and FLCL. I am able to follow the plot easily, by being able to follow what is going on in shows like Bakemonogatari, Spice and Wolf, etc.

I don't think it's that simple. In terms of the sequence of events, the first episode was indeed straightforward and was clearly intended to be super accessible.

However, the writers opted not to delve so much into the character backgrounds and the universe details, which has thrown some viewers off, especially those who tend to analyze every detail to form a complete framework in their heads. They get frustrated from not being introduced to everything they want to know ("You don't need to know yet" won't satisfy them) and then begin to tune the rest of the episode out. It's the way they process information.

OTOH, shows like Bakemonogatari provide massive info dumps from the get-go, which makes it easier for some people to follow.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
Funny how Heroman gets praised for not revealing everything, while Angel beats gets scratching of heads.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
I dislike infodumping, even when it is decently executed. But the writers have to give us something in the first few episodes. I don't need the back-stories straight away, but I do want more than two-word descriptors like "deadpan snarker", "goofy minion" and "overreacting fool". Most of the SSS can be classified in such a way, and I don't hold out much hope of that changing as the series progresses.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
Since this is a multi-media project English speaking viewers are a little behind the eight ball when it comes to info on this show. There was a 7 part written prologue of sorts released in Japan called "Track Zero" that basically goes through the start of the SSS. Only chapter 1 has been unofficially translated to English and it already explains things like the importance of food tickets etc.
As for the concert is does seem a bit random, but it was necessary to distract all the NPC's while they were having the battle with Angel outside the building and also serve as the chance to get all of their food tickets.
Ringking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
It didn't really seem that random to me at all, what better way to drown out gunfire than loud music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 37