• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Surprise that nick picked it up instead of Cartoon Network.

Likewise, I really expected this to be on CN.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, yet another excellent anime about to be over edited and sadly ruined because of the high volume of edits.

Seriously, what does Nicktoons know about anime? Newsflash US Nicktoons, Dragon Ball Z Kai isn't G rated and does contain violence.

Well at least the Funimation dvds won't be ruined and over edited. Its a absolute shame such a excellent show has to be shown on Nicktoons instead of Adult Swim or a more respectable station.
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
siradix wrote:
Nicktoons is a little late to the party, but they also still air shows like Avatar, Three Delivery, and Kappa Mikey. So I guess it will fit somewhere in their lineup.

Avatar, Three Delivery, and Kappa Mikey are all American-made and funded shows, though. They just have Asian elements to them.

The fact that they've (meaning US Nicktoons) licensed a genuine, honest to God anime not only shocks me but also excites me. I'm also really, really worried because we have NO clue how Nicktoons is gonna handle it...*worries for the theme songs*

"Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" might not make it to air on Nicktoons solely due to time constraints. They tend to just chyron the closing credits in the lower-third and run a promo in lieu of actually running the ED on most shows. "D'Oregon Soul" (Dragon Soul) will definitely make it, even though it probably won't be in Japanese with Tanimoto Takayoshi, but rather in English with Vic Mignogna (*shudder*).

As for content, I don't expect too many changes from how it was broadcast in Japan. We might not see the eyecatches, brief as they are, since Nicktoons supplies its own bumpers to/from commercial.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Oh boy, yet another excellent anime about to be over edited and sadly ruined because of the high volume of edits.

Seriously, what does Nicktoons know about anime? Newsflash US Nicktoons, Dragon Ball Z Kai isn't G rated and does contain violence.

Newsflash to you: Dragon Ball was ALWAYS a kids' show. Kai WAS edited in Japan when compared to the original Z. And if something has to air on TV here, it will most likely be edited.

In other news, Bob Barker doesn't host The Price Is Right anymore. *sigh*
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
In my life I was never surprised until today this one takes the cake, I mean seriously this has taken the cake. They better start making an teen and adult programming block for this. If not, someone better make the idea right now to them because this would bring more great fans who have been with anime for an long time. Nickelodeon and Disney Anime hyper, you need to start giving us jobs for your anime branches in your department. Hell, I'm starting my resume right now.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
This completely caught me by surprise. Not the fact that DBZ Kai is getting show on US TV, sort of had an intuition feeling that it would end up on TV, but on Nicktoons too me by complete surprise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
At least with Disney and Nickelodeon both airing anime, that's potentially a sign of anime making a comeback. Now it's not just a niche thing that only Cartoon Network and SyFy air, now other popular networks are airing it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

While this is true, the intended audience certainly is kids and teens. When it comes to older skewing material I can almost never support any sort of editing. However, when it comes to kids shows, there really is no choice but to accept that, in order to broadcast certain shows to their intended audiences, they sometimes need to be edited.

-t
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Too bad I don't have this channel. I'd like to hear the new dub in a few episodes before dropping any money on it.
siradix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
At least with Disney and Nickelodeon both airing anime, that's potentially a sign of anime making a comeback. Now it's not just a niche thing that only Cartoon Network and SyFy air, now other popular networks are airing it too.

True, but Nicktoons and Disney X D seem more like a testing area for new things. Since those channels are only available on premium cable instead of basic cable; and seem to show re-runs from shows that went off the air from their basic cable counter part majority of the time.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
I'll be surprised if they actually edit Dragon Ball Z Kai too much on Nicktoons. They have all the early 90s nicktoons going nuts on there (Ren & Stimpy, Rocko) and then they have the controversial stuff like Invader Zim. None of these are extremely violent like Dragon Ball Z, but still, it isn't your typical kids show line up these days, and because of it I find I actually watch Nicktoons more than Cartoon Network. They basically air all the things parents would usually complain about if put on the main Nickelodeon channel.

They'll probably put it along side the super hero cartoons like X-Men, Iron Man, etc.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Regardless of what channel they show it on, Dragon Ball Kai only has about 50 episodes right now, which means expect many re-runs of the first few episodes or lot of breaks in between because even if Funimation has most of the ones currently dubbed, they don't have it for any future episodes.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, like littlegreenwolf said, if Nicktoons Network can handle the likes of Invader Zim with all of its disturbing content, I'm sure they can handle DBZKai just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
siradix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
We will have to see, but I have never seen blood shown on Nick. So that might be the only editing.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Unless I'm reading something wrong from the formal press release, there is absolutely nothing stated about a traditional television broadcast for Kai in North America. It is specifically listed under the "Nick's digital nets" header, and Kai is furthermore specifically listed for "Nicktoons", one of their online portals for streaming.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
Unless I'm reading something wrong from the formal press release, there is absolutely nothing stated about a traditional television broadcast for Kai in North America. It is specifically listed under the "Nick's digital nets" header, and Kai is furthermore specifically listed for "Nicktoons", one of their online portals for streaming.

Nicktoon is one of Nickelodeon's digital television networks. It is a regular television channel on many digital cable and satellite television service providers — it's just not on analog television service providers like its parent Nickelodeon is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7