• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Totoro, Kiki, and Castle in the Sky.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squall2600

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
are there any differences between the new release from the old ones?
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
Squall2600 wrote:

Not anything noticeable--
The major difference is, nobody ever watched those imported complete-storyboard Disk 2's on the first editions, which have now been replaced with more conventional Making-of featurettes.
Not sure if that's going to make the old editions more valuable, though.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
I read that in Kiki's that Disney took the newer English songs out of the dub and removed a small line out of the end of the movie which apparently isn't in the original (but I honestly hadn't noticed). spoiler[Jiji speaking a line that suggests Kiki can hear him again]

I'm getting the new Kiki's in the mail today so I can verify that later... although I don't have the old version anymore, which is why I'm getting Kiki's and not the other two.

I haven't read a review of the new Totoro but I hope that also means they took out the absolutely horrible English ending theme adaptation they added to their dub. No child should be exposed to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pleinair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
But...Then you'll be with Totoro! (Totoro) Very Happy
I think they did decide to do a general re-dub of Totoro a while back, which I acknowledge was very much needed, but I think I'll stick with my bad dub. It's the one I watched when I was little, and I don't do well with change.

I've grown rather fond of that awful song over the years, as well.
Though Mei still looks like a frog.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Interestingly it seems they removed not only that line I mentioned above but any dialogue that doesn't have a corresponding line in the Japanese, mostly Phil Hartman adlibs probably. If you watch the "Behind the Microphone" extra kept from the earlier dub they feature a couple of the parts they took out. Jiji's panicked "Niiicce Doggie" before Jeff the dog licks his face and when they're interviewing Janeane Garofalo they show a clip where Ursula and Kiki are hitching a ride, in that clip the first car has the driver angrily yelling at them, the new dub removed the yelling, even though Ursula yelling at the car afterward makes more sense as a retort than an outburst.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Squall2600 wrote:

It should also be noted that the musical embellishments to Joe Hisaishi's score in the Kiki rerelease are gone, and have been reverted back to the original Japanese musical mix. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like the vocals were mixed as well; I've heard reports that Kirsten Dunst's Kiki comes across as she's talking into a fan in places.

Even Castle in the Sky has undergone some changes in its recent rerelease; all the extra/added in dialogue is gone, and unfortunately, so is Joe Hisaishi's rescore. The former decision I can agree with in places (excluding Dola's boys banter and additional lines for Dola and Muska, as I liked those a lot), but I find it disappointing that they took out the rescore. Not that I have anything against the original music, but for me, the rescore really made that dub, adding and arguably improving on many scenes from the original (only exception might be the stormcloud scene).

I'm probably gonna hold onto my 2003 DVDs for these two, and just rent the "Extras" disc.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Pleinair wrote:
I think they did decide to do a general re-dub of Totoro a while back, which I acknowledge was very much needed, but I think I'll stick with my bad dub. It's the one I watched when I was little, and I don't do well with change.

The Fox dub wasn't a bad dub at all.

I think Sparrow is talking about the song Disney re-dubbed for their Totoro dub. The Fox adaptation of the end song is quite fine. At least IMO.

I'm a bit put off about the changes in Castle and Kiki. They're minor, and I realize the idea behind them was to bring them more in line with the originals, but the first dub versions are already out there, and if people want "original", that is what the original Japanese tracks are for!!

All people wanted improved were maybe the subtitles for some of them (such as Kiki), as well as improved video quality. The dubs were never the big problems with the first R1 releases.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Pleinair wrote:

The Fox dub wasn't a bad dub at all.

I think Sparrow is talking about the song Disney re-dubbed for their Totoro dub. The Fox adaptation of the end song is quite fine. At least IMO.

Sparrow probably would be a better name for me, wouldn't it? Mr. Green

Yeah, I had forgotten that the Fox/Streamline dub had an English dubbed theme as well. The Disney one is sung by Sonya Isaacs, a Country/Gospel Singer and is absolutely horrible.

Has anyone gotten the new version yet? Which version does it have?UltimateDisney.com does now have a long review of the new disc of Totoro(as well as Castle in the Sky and Ponyo) but they don't mention the song.

Although, I think if I'm going to get another version I'll wait for Blu-Ray, apparently they are planning on it eventually.
Pleinair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Disney also had one. Shows how much attention I pay I suppose. Does this mean I can be proud of my Fox DVD then? Cause that would rule. It isn't the best dub evar, but it is very good compared to others that came out at the same time.

Just you describing that song makes me cringe, Minnow. I'm rather glad I never knew of it's existence.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Pleinair wrote:
I didn't know Disney also had one. Shows how much attention I pay I suppose. Does this mean I can be proud of my Fox DVD then? Cause that would rule. It isn't the best dub evar, but it is very good compared to others that came out at the same time.

Just you describing that song makes me cringe, Minnow. I'm rather glad I never knew of it's existence.

Well, as proud as you can be of a pan and scan full screen presentation of an animated masterpiece. It was the full screen treatment that made me want to ditch it.

The Disney dub voices are fine, and Elle Fanning's cry is unparalleled, it makes you wonder if the voice director was torturing puppies to get it out of her.

But bravetailor is right about the subtitles needing a little work. Just little things like hearing "onee-chan" and reading the name, having Mei teasing Satsuki for a friend calling her "Satsuk-chan" and reading something completely different. I can understand dumbing down a dub, it's expected, it's a kid's movie, but if you're reading subtitles you should expect a little more sophistication.
Dolza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
Anybody know if the Blu-Ray versions actually look better than the SD releases from years past? I am not sure I want to buy them again if it is not really a marked improvement.
I don't really care about the dub - I never listen to it.
Leader Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
I really don't know why people bother upgrading their old movies via Blu-Ray.

If the original media wasn't filmed in High Definition then no amount of putting it onto a High Definition media will improve its looks.

And IMO the Disney dubs of the Ghibli collection are just wonderful, I'm happy with the end result.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Yeah, I had forgotten that the Fox/Streamline dub had an English dubbed theme as well. The Disney one is sung by Sonya Isaacs, a Country/Gospel Singer and is absolutely horrible.

Has anyone gotten the new version yet? Which version does it have?

I watched it the other day with my friend, it had the Sonya Isaacs version. I hafta to say the Fox one is better IMO

I haven't seen the old disney version of Totoro before, so i can't really compare the two aside from that.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have to admit my copy of Totoro is actually a DVD-R recorded off of Turner Classic Movies years ago when they had a "Miyazaki Month" (presenting dub and sub back to back), playing most of his works and a couple other Ghibli films. They even played Only Yesterday.

I'm not a huge techno-geek that needs the most pristine picture possible all the times, but since it was recorded on standard def TV it does have a pronounced grainy effect now that I have a high def TV. So I do want a new copy of it, and will wait for BD, partially because I'm curious just how good they can make it look and partially becasue I hope the storage capacity of a BD will hopefully make it possible to give many viewing options and I hope by the time it's released it will a difinitively good version that will be practically impossible to complain about.

Dolza, So far Ponyo is the only Ghibli film available on Blu-ray, Disney only recently announced that they were planning on putting out the Ghibli films on BD, so no one knows just yet how they will compare. I'm hopeful.

And although I bought the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack, I don't actually own a Blu-Ray player yet. Soon, but not yet. So I personally can't judge any differences.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
light_rises

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Leader Bee wrote:
I really don't know why people bother upgrading their old movies via Blu-Ray.

If the original media wasn't filmed in High Definition then no amount of putting it onto a High Definition media will improve its looks.

This is only the case with digitally-produced films and shows created in standard-def. (And even those can plausibly look better in upscaled HD if, for example, it improves upon the original SD transfer with more accurate color reproduction, a higher bit rate, etc. Which raises the question of whether a newer, better DVD edition is all that's really necessary, but I digress). Kiki, Totoro, and Castle were all shot on film -- which should mean that for a long while to come, they can only benefit from new, well-done transfers into whatever happens to be the top-notch home video format of the moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2