• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Openers that completely turned you off.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Do any readily come to your mind?

For me, one sickeningly does: Gurren Lagann.
To me, it just SCREAMS out: "My target audience is young children!"
I couldn't even get through the first episode when it was broadcast on SciFi.....er....."SyFy" (grrr, what a stupid name change Evil or Very Mad )
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, it didn't turn me off completely from the show, but NieA_7's OP may just be the worst I have ever had the displeasure to hear.

Kids, don't smoke, otherwise *that* will happen to your voice.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Probably the worst opener I can think of is the opening to Kure-nai. It is a realy good show, but the opening is so horible it almost scared me off and I avoid the opening as much as possible.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I LOVE the Gurren Lagann opening! Anime hyper It's one of my favorites! Smile It's got that nice balance of silliness and Hot Blooded Super Robot Spirit. ^^

Now, Bleach's openings and closings got under my skin while I was trying to watch it. I'm pretty glad I don't have to look at them anymore. :p
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to have a bad opener ruin a show, there are plenty of other ways a show can ruin itself that are a lot more substantial if you ask me.

But as for shows where I looked at the OP and went "...is there any hope in hell I'm going to like this?", yeah I've got them and sometimes I ended up liking the show perfectly fine and more often than not I've had the exact opposite happen with kickass OP and terrible show.

Now, for an OP that I kinda looked at puzzled but never once turned off the series for, Shingu's sounds like it was stolen from the world's most boring elevator track music. Thank god the show was actually quite good but that OP, skip it every time.

Then there are OPs I look at and I can't tell if I'm going to like the show, Gurren Lagann actually did that for me but then everyone pressed me to watch it sooner so I did and I fell in love with it! And now I actually like the OP more too even if I didn't think it was anything special at first. Still don't like the first ED but I love the 2nd one.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Aye I didn't really see that much wrong with GL's opening it was very much in the spirit of the rest of the show. I know what you mean though frankly the OHSHC opener made me want to hide my face in shame after about 10 seconds into it. I never watched more than 2 seconds of it again.

I doubt I would ever be put off something because it looks like it's "for kids" but then some of my favorite western animated movies are for kids like flight of dragons or transformers (original movie). I guess everyone just has buttons they don't like getting pushed.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
At the moment, I can't think of any openers that make me cringe, but I absolutely LOATHE Bleach's Happy People that was the closing episode throughout much of the Rescue Rukia arc. That has got to be the worst closing song considering what the storyline was about.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, it didn't turn me off completely from the show, but NieA_7's OP may just be the worst I have ever had the displeasure to hear.

I Youtubed it... so that's why I couldn't remember what it sounded like, I had blotted it from my memory. Different does not always mean good.

Tokko's opening is quite the ear-grater. I can picture it being played at a trashy strip-joint in those middle-of-nowhere towns you see in movies. Everything about that opener sucks. The vocals are obnoxious and the "music" sounds like old-school video game quality. Bleh!
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
The worst opener I've seen, by far, is the one for Honey and Clover. What the heck does all that ugly food have to do with anything?! Plus, the shrimp-cocktail-hand at the end freaks me out. *shudder* I have never been so gung-ho to skip past an opening every episode... watching it definitely takes me out of the mood for the show.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The ugly food from Honey and Clover has something to do with the girls' cooking choices. So, it's not entirely random. The music is good, so it's not absolutely essential to skip it.

What the hell were they thinking when NieA_7's op were made? lol
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
The ugly food from Honey and Clover has something to do with the girls' cooking choices. So, it's not entirely random.

What the hell were they thinking when NieA_7's op were made? lol

I did think of that- but their food just tasted bad, it didn't look bad. The whole of it just doesn't seem to jive with the pastel, artsy, youth-finding-their-way-in-life-and-love thing the show has going on. It's jarring. (And the prawn hand made me jump the first time I saw it. Embarassed )

It's been awhile since I saw the NieA opening... but I seem to remember they were actively trying to make an anime that was (I quote) "lame". Perhaps they tried too hard? Laughing
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I did think of that- but their food just tasted bad, it didn't look bad. The whole of it just doesn't seem to jive with the pastel, artsy, youth-finding-their-way-in-life-and-love thing the show has going on. It's jarring. (And the prawn hand made me jump the first time I saw it. Embarassed )

Hm, from what I understood it's not that their cooking is bad, it's just their choices. Thus, why I didn't actually mention the bad taste. Certainly, chocolate stewed with vegetables isn't exactly a simple matter of bad taste. So, I could imagine the girls doing something like that, because they apparently really enjoy cooking, and not to forget their artistic skills. I'm not exactly defending it though, since I haven't looked at the screen while watching that opening after the first time I saw it. But I still enjoy the music.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Here's another opening that I hate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTlu91tS30

It is for Hoop Days, which was a surprisingly enjoyable series. But I found the opener to be so horrid that I watched it once and then skipped it for all the other episodes. Watching it again, I don't find it as awful as I used to think it was, but it still is pretty hideous. The ending is even worse, if I remember correctly.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yes. Let's not forget about one of the most famous openings of all times. One Piece's incredible 4Kids opening. Definitely befits a pirate anime.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the Niea_7 opener. It's a good tune, and the weathered voice fits the theme fairly well; it's stands out from a lot of the interchangeable J-pop ditty's that so many other series choose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5