• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do anime girls boss people?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinslayer13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok, when your watching anime, and a guy is minding his business, and he is in he's own house. Some girl comes in a provides some incidental perverted situation, and another girl, usually a friend or something beats the crap out of him, and thinks its right, and she has the right to do whatever she wants. But i guess it is the director or whoever makes the anime or manga who seems to like the idea of a guy getting beaten up even though he is at no fault.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Because directors and writers know that there exist some Otaku who are so desperate for a female their own age and not related to themself to get close to them and touch them that the idea of a pretty girl beating the snot out of them is actually appealing.

Whew that was a long sentence.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Kinslayer13 wrote:
Ok, when your watching anime,...

I don't have any "watching anime", well, not that I'm aware of anyway.

Quote:
...and a guy is minding his business,...

...Fast Times at Ridgemont High just entered my mind for some reason...

Quote:
...and he is in he's own house.

It took me several attempts to decipher this sentence. I gave up trying, so moving on...

Quote:
Some girl comes in a provides some incidental perverted situation,...

...Details, damn it! Details!...

Quote:
...and another girl, usually a friend or something beats the crap out of him,...

...he got off easy as he could have been nagged instead...

Quote:
...and thinks its right, and she has the right to do whatever she wants.

...so the guy can do whatever he wants...

Quote:
But i guess it is the director or whoever makes the anime or manga who seems to like the idea of a guy getting beaten up even though he is at no fault.

Guys are always at fault. You must be young. Relish this time, for you are about to learn the truth one day.
Replies added for humor only and do not represent the views of PetrifiedJello
Kinslayer13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
well it was just a speed typed post should of took more thought into it
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Quote:
...and another girl, usually a friend or something beats the crap out of him,...

...he got off easy as he could have been nagged instead...

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer the former to the latter as it only takes a fraction of the time.

Quote:

Guys are always at fault. You must be young. Relish this time, for you are about to learn the truth one day.

And girls are always the victim.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Violence solves anything. If I were the director, I'd make the character punch the girl.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The main idea I can think of is that a lot of anime set the guy up so that many of the male audience can pretend to put themselves in the males shoes so they are complacent. And the girls are bossy so it is easier to imagine being dragged around.

For example look at Haruhi Suzumiya, Kyon is who the audience see through and might imagine being in place, while on the other hand Haruhi is difficult to predict and the audience could imagine being dragged around. And Kyon solves the other character's problems.

For an opposite effect look at the anime Ouran High Host Club, it's main target audience is of girls, so we end up with a reversal of roles. Haruhi is someone who the audience migh imagine putting their shoes in while the guys bring her on adventures, though Haruhi still solves problems.
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The main idea I can think of is that a lot of anime set the guy up so that many of the male audience can pretend to put themselves in the males shoes so they are complacent. And the girls are bossy so it is easier to imagine being dragged around.

For example look at Haruhi Suzumiya, Kyon is who the audience see through and might imagine being in place, while on the other hand Haruhi is difficult to predict and the audience could imagine being dragged around. And Kyon solves the other character's problems.

For an opposite effect look at the anime Ouran High Host Club, it's main target audience is of girls, so we end up with a reversal of roles. Haruhi is someone who the audience migh imagine putting their shoes in while the guys bring her on adventures, though Haruhi still solves problems.

In addition to what Dusky said, you should also take the girl's personality into mind. Generally, I've noticed the "bossy" characters tend to live on the Tsundere side of life, and because of it are bossy and aggressive towards "The One"

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Any anime is an assemblage of tropes. Bossy girls is just one common trope, but by no means ubiquitous.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Violence solves anything. If I were the director, I'd make the character punch the girl.

That's exactly why Bakemonogatari is so awesome. Not only does the main character punch a girl, she's like 8.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

Quote:

And girls are always the victim.

Wah... I instantly imaged the opposite when you said this and now I can't stop laughing. Instead of the traditional "Guy falls, knocks down girl, grabs girl's breast and said girl freaks out." I imagined "Girl falls, knocks down guy, ends up grabbing his crotch and said guy freaks out!" It helps that I've been watching Yakitate Japan again with it's plethora of freak outs too.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that seems to happen a lot these days, but that's because they make the guys completely spineless.

In the old Mazinger Z TV series and I guess later on in Mazinkaiser, they changed Sayaka's personality from the manga to make her more bossy, however, Kouji is not a spineless simp and he almost NEVER backed down against her and they even once got into a full on fist fight! Anime hyper How's THAT for equality? Anime hyper That said, I'm thankful they returned Sayaka to dotting do-gooder in Shin Mazinger as Kouji did not need ANOTHER enemy on top of Dr. Hell and his three generals. :p
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Something I have been thinking of lately would be how refreshing a reverse from the usual would be. Have the girl be a total pervert and the guy has to stop her from being an idiot.

Actually their has been something kind of along these lines lately, that being Chu-bra, the main girl has been doing or thinking something obscene and the guy has hit her on the head.

And I just remembered another, Maria Holic has it kind of reveresed aswell, but you would have to watch it to understand.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is hardly in Anime alone. At the moment for some reason hyperactive sexually immature women beating up spineless men for having a sex drive seems to be the vogue. When it was new it was funny especially the way Anime did it I still remember Slayers fondly but enough is enough. To be honest this annoys me far more than moe. As it is an insult to the dignity of my gender. The insipid soulless society we live in emasculates us enough without our entertainment industry hammering more nails into the coffin.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Males: Stoic, logical: take to extreme --> unable to express emotions and over-thinking everything into inaction.

Females: Emotional, in need of a man to be complete: take to extreme --> repeated spontaneous bursts of excessive emotionalism, irrational thought processes, lots of actions which are inconsistant with any greater purpose.

The above is, IMO, sort of, very loosely, how I think Japanese society portrays the two sexes. In anime, the stereotypical traits are taken to extremes for dramatic effect.

Example: attractive, but hyperactive girl smacks guy around because her emotions are so out of control that she can't help displaying them, but she's so irrational that she doesn't recognize what she's feeling.

Example: quiet, stoic guy sits around and denies any outlet for his feelings, but uses the occasions when he's getting smacked around to blandly show his interest by not stopping it. He then over-analysis the girl to the point that he psyches himself out of actually saying/doing anything substancial, either to tell her he likes or *OR* to tell her he *doesn't* like her.

Also (and I don't know if this is true), it might be that the behavoir the OP describes is so opposite of how Japanese girls act (being physically aggressive, and not necessarily in a sexual way), that the absurdity of it is in itself a source of humor. In other words, real Japanese girls are so passive and demure that such behavior is considered tremendously outrageous: A real Haruhi would never be tolerated by anyone. As I said, that's a guess on my part. I don't pretend to know Japanese society remotely well enough say this with any real certainty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2