• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Dragon Ball Z Kai's English Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
mashimizu wrote:
I agree with you 100%, you took the words right out of my mouth. the only recasting I was hoping for was for the many characters Chris Sabat plays. Maybe he needs the money?

They also have him directing.

This is just laziness on Funimation's part, or else pandering to the fans of the existing dub, which is what it looks more and more like what they're really planning to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
mashimizu wrote:
I agree with you 100%, you took the words right out of my mouth. the only recasting I was hoping for was for the many characters Chris Sabat plays. Maybe he needs the money?

This is just laziness on Funimation's part, or else pandering to the fans of the existing dub, which is what it looks more and more like what they're really planning to do.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind it so much if he lost some of his rolls such as Piccolo or Yamcha. His throat must hurt after awhile voicing all these characters. ^^;
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
mashimizu wrote:

What's wrong with Chris Sabat as a VA? I could maybe see someone else doing Vegeta, and I liked his Picollo (I doubt I spelled that right). I don't see nothing wrong with pandering to the fans of the existing dub, I doubt a whole redo of the cast would work, it would just remove the camp factor of what the dub already has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006,

There's nothing wrong with Chris Sabat as a VA. The problem, for me anyway, is that I can recognize his voice in most of the roles he takes. While I'm not saying that he's bad in any one of those roles, the fact remains that my mind is telling me, "Hey, that's the same guy who voices Vegeta and Piccolo!" which distracts me from enjoying what's going on on-screen. After a while, it gets to the point that whenever one of the character's he voices says something, all I think is, "Oh, it's him again."

I think a greater variety of voice actors would be a better answer.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm hoping FUNimation removes the "camp factor" that existed in the previous dub. I don't mind that the majority of the cast returns (Sabat can certainly use some trimming down on his roles considering he's directing), but I'm hoping for a genuinely better effort this time around. If the video game localizations are anything to go by, they can certainly do better (sans the "9000" meme).
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that Gohan, Bulma, & The Narrator will be played by other people. Course I already knew Chaotzu & Buar will be voiced by Brina Palencina since she's done the voices for most of the video games. Only paticular one I've played was DBZBT3.

I don't mind if the three voice actors for Gohan, Bulma, & The Narrator will be replaced. Just as long as they're able to do an English dub for this series.

I would be surprised if Dameon Clarke would repraise his role as Cell. Though I'm not in high hopes for him to do voice work for an Anime again. Cause he didn't repraise any of his other anime roles for the sequals or spin-offs of the anime he was previously in. And he hasn't done voice work for an anime(excluding video games) for quite a few years.
mashimizu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
mashimizu wrote:

What's wrong with Chris Sabat as a VA? I could maybe see someone else doing Vegeta, and I liked his Picollo (I doubt I spelled that right). I don't see nothing wrong with pandering to the fans of the existing dub, I doubt a whole redo of the cast would work, it would just remove the camp factor of what the dub already has.

There is nothing wrong with Chris Sabat. I think he is an awesome VA and I also think he is good at all or most of his roles in DBZ. The problem is that, like the guy above said, he is doing way to many characters in one show. Back when I was a kid I never noticed it was same guy doing all these roles but now I, like many of the other DBZ fans, have grown up and its quite noticeable. Its kind of like yugioh the abridged series where you have LK doing all the voices. That's all fine and dandy for something like yugioh the abridged series but Funi is supposed to be a professional company. People need to understand that back then they had no choice but to put Chris in all these roles but that is not the case anymore. They have many capable VA to add viarity to the dub.

Like I said in other forums before, if you want the old cast so much then you have Funi's remastered box sets which also include the dub bgm and you have the dragon boxes. I don't see why you would care about Kai if it had all the original VA's when you have all these other releases. You people do realize that the original bgm is replaced with a completely different third soundtrack right? Apparently this soundtrack is done by the same guy who composed for the budokai aka sparking video games.

Oh well what can ya do? I'm gonna have to wait and see how this turns out. Cant say I have high hopes though...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Well, it's bad enough that Dragon Ball Kai is censored (and yes, even on the DVDs and Blu-Rays). The only thing that would have drawn me to shelling out money for it is a good dub, and I'm waiting to see how that turns out.

Otherwise, a cut up, censored version of DBZ, with different music? If I was that interested in such a thing, I would go buy the Pioneer DVDs of the Ocean seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'd buy this than the Dragon Boxes for the original version. Cause I'm not planning on cashing in my already bought Remastered Seasons of DBZ. Unleash the original series ever gets a blu-ray treatment. But for now, I'll consider in getting the DBK on Blu-ray.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
I would be surprised if Dameon Clarke would repraise his role as Cell. Though I'm not in high hopes for him to do voice work for an Anime again. Cause he didn't repraise any of his other anime roles for the sequals or spin-offs of the anime he was previously in. And he hasn't done voice work for an anime(excluding video games) for quite a few years.

Except Raging Blast where Cell was voiced by Travis Willingham.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Woah, I'm not suggesting that the dub necessarily needs a female to do Goku's voice. I'm just defending Toei's decision to keep Nozawa and my preference for that to what Funimation's done.

I think it's very possible to get a good male English voice for Goku that suits him near as well. I just don't think Funimation's done that.

Hell, maybe Sean Schemmel has it in him with a change of script and some better direction. I just haven't heard that yet and I have my doubts.

It's somewhat implied, though. The Japanese version gave Goku a child-like quality by retaining the voice from Dragonball.

Plus, I'm just defending Funimation's choice to go with what had the best chance of selling a boy oriented series about fighting to American kids, which was a male who could sound goofy without sounding like he was 10.

Overall, I can't blame Funimation for pandering to existing dub fans at all. Even though this is played up as basically DBZ for a new generation, a large amount of the sales, if not the majority, are going to come from already existing fans.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Plus, I'm just defending Funimation's choice to go with what had the best chance of selling a boy oriented series about fighting to American kids, which was a male who could sound goofy without sounding like he was 10.

Except they didn't do that. They got a guy with a rough voice to make Goku sound like a hardcore badass to pander to kids who wanted HARDCORE AKSHOOONNNN! It's also why they changed the music for television broadcast, because they were trying to market it as an American cartoon, not as an anime.

Clearly the dub fans that remain will buy anything, as they purchased fake "remastered" sets and still double-dipped when the Dragon Box came out, so why pander to them? If they're going to buy DBZ anyway, Funimation should have taken the opportunity to work on a new dub from the ground up.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
E-Master wrote:

Except Raging Blast where Cell was voiced by Travis Willingham.

Ah so there is a recent DB game that doesn't have Dameon Clarke as Cell. Sorry, I was only knowledgable about the voice actors for certain DB games. Thank you for pointing that detail out, cause some websites might not always have the right info.
I had to pay attention to the end credits for Case closed to know which is truely the last episode that had Dameon Clarke as the voice of George.
Cause that character ended up being voiced by THE Mike McFarland, who made a great replacement.

Some of the other characters he previously played were replaced with some acceptable actors who atleast sounded like him. Funimation has more voice actors than they originally did. So replacing unavalible actors isn't issue as long as they atleast sound like the character. Cause it would annoy most people if the voice is off sync.

A wouldn't mind if most of Chris Sabat's roles were played by someone else. As long as he's still in the series. Cause I'm a big fan of the characters he's voiced. If he's up to the task to voice the 30 some characters he voiced before, then that's more than cool.
GJMEGA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not buying it. For several reasons; One is that the episodes are censored, I saw the Japanese version. Two is that they are likely to do what they did with the "Remastered" version.

That being that they updated /some/ of the dialogue but left a good deal of it untouched from the previous "translation" *cough*rape of the script*cough* and also reused some audio from the previous release. For example:

One minute I was watching the Freeza saga happy as can be, the next I hear Piccolo speak and my heart stoped, for the Piccolo I heard was not the one from just a few episodes ago, it was one from the /previous/ Dub. They /spliced in/ Piccolo's voice from the previous Dub and it not only used lines that did not fit quite right in the current Dub, it was /obvious/ that they had done it! One second crisp clean new audio the next somewhat faded old audio with Piccolo sounding like he lost a few years VA experience.

I stopped buying the "Remastered" version then, and for all their faults they are at least (as far as I know) /uncensored/!
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
Now that the dub is out and I have watched Episode 1-2, I must say it's very good Smile.

I hope FUNimation continues to dub it well until the end Anime smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5