• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia bug with episodic precision

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this when the feature was first introduced, but the tooltip for multiple episode precision only works intermittently, e.g. in this example from the Kiddy Grade page:

Hidefumi Kimura's episode script credits are hidden until you mouseover the underlined text whereupon they appear in a tooltip, but his stopryboard credits are not; instead of hiding them it is introducing line breaks, which is also resetting the indentation (Itsuro Kawasaki should have the same indentation level)

I see the same behaviour in Chrome 4.0.266.0 and IE8 but not in Firefox 3.5.5 where it works correctly. It doesn't make a difference if I am logged in or out or have meta-info enabled or disabled.

Working example:
Code:
<A HREF="people.php?id=360">Hidefumi Kimura</A> <small>(<span><u>15 episodes</u><span><div>eps 1-3, 6, 8, 10-11, 15-17, 20-24</div></span></span>)</small>

non-working example:
Code:
<A HREF="people.php?id=360">Hidefumi Kimura</A> <small>(<span><u>4 episodes</u><span><div>eps 9, 14, 16, 20</div></span></span>)</small>

The first span has a class of "hover-box" which for some reason the forum seems to be stripping out, but the two lines are functionally identical. The CSS is simple enough to follow: the second span is set to display:none until you hover over the first span:

Code:
.hover-box span{
  position:absolute;
  display:none;
  margin:0 1px;
}

}
.hover-box:hover span{
  display:inline;
}

Since it seems like it should work and indeed does some of the time and Firefox in unaffected I can only assume it is a rendering error, but it seems odd that it would affect both Chrome and IE and in exactly the same way when the former is based on webkit but the latter is not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've figured out a pattern: it only happens to the first person in each section with the requisite number of episodes; once "broken out" of the indent the code works for the remaiming people in that section until a new section starts and the indent is reset. Not sure why yet but I'll keep looking.

--edit--

Still not sure why it is happening, but it is something to do with the paragraph tags around each section (well just before actually - the close tags are missing) but for whatever reason, if you put the sections in a <div> (with class "ENTAB") rather than <p> then it works as expected. Closing the divs is probably a good idea also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It's been too long, but it's fixed now. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
That looks much better thanks.

There is a bug remaining in Chrome (IE works find and Firefox is updating itself) in that the tooltip aligns itself to the top of the section div, not to the individual span. It isn't a problem until you get to a very long section with a hidden precision at the bottom - at which point the tooltip appears off the top of the screen. Yeah, Firefox works fine also.

Here's a screenshot from Chrome (developer release, 5.0.307.1):
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lSvDIxLJEK42yUuQWYyflw?feat=directlink

the mouse, which refused to show itself in the screenshots, is hovering next to Yugi Hosogoe there at the bottom.

My other machine has the latest stable releases, 4.0.249.78. I'm just going to try Safari which is also Webkit-based.. yup, same thing in Safari, so it is a Webkit rendering bug/feature.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
geeeeeeeh Anime cry
I hate new browsers when they give me extra work.
fixed now, but that was a #!&%$ pain in the ass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
..sorry.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Sorry I had to vent, but it was directed at the browser, not you Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1