• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: So-Ra-No-Wo-To episodes 1-4

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show for now, but hope that something "dark" happens with the plot at some point. The whole world winding down aesthetic is for me the main thing it has going for it. There are hints strewn about that something unsavory may be going on, but I have no idea if they're just red herrings. I think that what I want would probably be jarring, and would alienate the core audience - but if the show in the end was nothing but 5 girls doing stuff I'd have to consider it forgettable fluff. I'm basically immune to moe, at least to it's intended effect. The efforts to get a "protective feeling" out of me usually result in "I hope they get crushed like bugs." Basically I want the characters to grow, and it's difficult to get growth without something to struggle against. If that something is unpleasant, then so be it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Why would the JSDF still be around? Who knows what the Helvetian military rank system is like.

Because the people who made the show aren't creative enough to make a whole new rank system based on pre-existing Japanese rank names.

This does not make any sense. That's like saying that the creators were not creative enough to make a whole new language for Helvetia.

It's obvious that the Japanese language (in the show) is lost other than a few remaining artifacts (names have some kanji, it seems, like Kanata's). So the girls aren't really talking in Japanese, but rather in French or something similar. It's in Japanese just so the Japanese audience can understand what the hell is being said. So obviously they're going to use the Japanese names of ranks since that's what people are accustomed to. This does not mean that the two rank systems are equal, and they should not be treated as such.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Ditto on the having no idea where this show is going thing. I put it on the backburner with episode 3 when I realized that if this show is going to go anywhere then it's going to be taking it's damn time in doing it. I'm still keeping pace with it a little bit by following it on some blogs, but nothing has encouraged me to actually want to sit down and watch any of it again yet. It's slightly irksome when series sit on the fence with their premise and tone like this leaving you to guess whether it's worth it to continue to spend your time watching it or if your just going to end up feeling like you've been had in the end.

We still seem to be in the "introduce the characters one-by-one" phase, and can't tell if the "fight off army of dragons arriving from No-Man's-Land by the power of love, music, and a robotic tank" phase will actually arrive this season or ever.

If that's where this show is going then I've more or less seen that show already and it's called The Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. I don't know if it would be wise to go the Macross route because Macross had by this point in it's run already featured far more interesting characters, better pacing and whole lot more in terms of themes going on and ultimately Sora No Woto would just end up looking far inferior if it were to draw the comparison.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Banken wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Why would the JSDF still be around? Who knows what the Helvetian military rank system is like.

Because the people who made the show aren't creative enough to make a whole new rank system based on pre-existing Japanese rank names.

This does not make any sense. That's like saying that the creators were not creative enough to make a whole new language for Helvetia.

It's obvious that the Japanese language (in the show) is lost other than a few remaining artifacts (names have some kanji, it seems, like Kanata's). So the girls aren't really talking in Japanese, but rather in French or something similar. It's in Japanese just so the Japanese audience can understand what the hell is being said. So obviously they're going to use the Japanese names of ranks since that's what people are accustomed to. This does not mean that the two rank systems are equal, and they should not be treated as such.

Their language is clearly French if you were paying attention.

And the odds that they got creative with the rank system are much smaller than the odds that they simply don't know sh*t about military ranks. Then again, in the Eureka Seven movie Renton was a Sargeant First Class, which is the Army equivalent to Gunnery Sargeant, the rank right before Master Sargeant, which is equivalent to Sargeant Major in the JSDF, which is actually the highest enlisted pay grade in the USMC (E-9), a rank three ranks higher than it's JSDF namesake. Needless to say that's about five ranks higher than he should have been for someone who just joined the military.

Either way, I admit this is pointless nitpicking but I happen to think attention to detail is good for a series.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I would dare say that if you cross Haibane Renmei with K-ON! you would have something that comes close to Sora no Woto.

Though I suspect many fans may not be appreciative of the comparison, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have seen initial similarities between So-Ra-No-To-Wo and the former of those two shows.

In the single episode I saw, I warmed to the naive charm of the lead character and her idyllic Mediterranean surroundings. It must be through later narrative events that one judges how adequately the introductory material nurtures the viewer's interest however; if something unexpected or otherwise intriguingly dramatic befalls the cast in later episodes, I can expect these initial strengths shall give way to more memorable qualities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
− Not for those with a strong distaste for moe, voice work and characterizations are generic.

On the other hand, for me this anime has nearly no entertainment value was it not for the moe element. I mean, for the two episodes I've watched, I was just admiring the characters, nothing else. The story doesn't interest me much, and the comedy is subpar. I could say that I'm half-enjoying it.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
That's because MOE shows are designed Type B otaku who only care about characters.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
That's because MOE shows are designed Type B otaku who only care about characters.

What. I'm not an otaku. I'm worse than that, but I'm nothing like that. I don't only care about characters, but I do care about characters. So, Rat No 2 woefully enjoys today's rain.

Last edited by egoist on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I really couldn't care less about the characters in SnW, cause they're pretty much archetypes, and yet because of the atmosphere I'm quite enjoying it.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
>>voice work and characterizations are generic.

I would retort, but there is nothing I could say to this that would make it past this site's censor.

Then please explain in what way you feel these characters are at all fresh versions - or even new variations - on characters we've seen countless times before.

I was referring to the comment on the voice work.

Who gives a damn if the characters aren't unique? The only time we see unique characters is in pretentious bullshit like Kaiba. If you need unique characters to enjoy something, maybe you should give up on anime and go scour other media - not that it will help you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
usagidoshi wrote:
In addition to the Haibane Renmei connection, I see Aria too (Felicia=Alicia, Kanata=Akari, Rio=Akira, Kureha=Aika)

That's a great point. Those characters match really well.

DavidShallcross wrote:
IThe military ranks may be unrealistic, but (1) this is not a first world army, and has already shown that it will recruit young teenagers, and (2) there seems to be some particular reason why this fort is staffed by young women.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the first of your two points. This seems to be a post-apocalyptic scenario, meaning the situation is likely more similar to various African nations where the average armed service member is aged 13.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
>>voice work and characterizations are generic.

I would retort, but there is nothing I could say to this that would make it past this site's censor.

Then please explain in what way you feel these characters are at all fresh versions - or even new variations - on characters we've seen countless times before.

I was referring to the comment on the voice work.

Then what, in any way, makes these vocal performances different (or better) than anything we've heard countless times before?

Quote:
Who gives a damn if the characters aren't unique? The only time we see unique characters is in pretentious bullshit like Kaiba. If you need unique characters to enjoy something, maybe you should give up on anime and go scour other media - not that it will help you.

Characters don't have to always be unique, but a series can be reasonably expected not to just churn out the same-ol', same-ol'. At least put a new twist on a standard archetype, as that's what the better series generally do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
usagidoshi wrote:
In addition to the Haibane Renmei connection, I see Aria too (Felicia=Alicia, Kanata=Akari, Rio=Akira, Kureha=Aika)

That's a great point. Those characters match really well.

DavidShallcross wrote:
IThe military ranks may be unrealistic, but (1) this is not a first world army, and has already shown that it will recruit young teenagers, and (2) there seems to be some particular reason why this fort is staffed by young women.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the first of your two points. This seems to be a post-apocalyptic scenario, meaning the situation is likely more similar to various African nations where the average armed service member is aged 13.

I took that into account already.. people apparently join the army around 14 in this show since Kanata and Kureha are both buck privates (in the real world you can join at 17 with parental permission; not far off), whereas Felicia is 18 (and you can become an officer at around 20 or 21, although technically you just need to be 18 and have a college degree)...

But Sargeant Major (or Master Sargeant, depending on which service you're referring to) still indicates 15+ (if not) years of service, and since we're talking about a show that takes place in a peace-time military (meaning there is less need for senior NCOs, meaning slower promotions), there's is simply no feasible way for Rio to be a rank that high unless she enlisted about the time the came out of the womb. But again, pointless nitpicking.

On another note, I think this show insinuates that the military is the only place for one to play music, period. Not that it's the only place to get free music training. This is why they seemed to surprised in episode two.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
You're assuming that a post-apocalyptic military which recruits young girls who join only because they want to play the bugle is using ranks the same way they are used now. They may have missed out a lot of ranks or move through them a lot quicker to give encouragement or something, especially since, at least for these girls, their role is largely decorative anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

But Sargeant Major (or Master Sargeant, depending on which service you're referring to) still indicates 15+ (if not) years of service, and since we're talking about a show that takes place in a peace-time military (meaning there is less need for senior NCOs, meaning slower promotions), there's is simply no feasible way for Rio to be a rank that high unless she enlisted about the time the came out of the womb. But again, pointless nitpicking.

I suppose you're right. Master Sargeant Samuel Doe was almost 29 when he seized control of Liberia, so while I think it is a mistake to apply contemporary first-world military standards here, a big stretch still remains.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2