• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroshitsuji II to Debut in July with New Butler, Master

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping they were gonna pull a FMAB on us and reset the anime in a way they could include the circus arc, or something else, anything would have been better than this; I never expected a full-on filler.
I'm royally pissed, half with producers and the author (who should have a say on what happens to her creations, but money is on the way, so to hell with it) and half with the fandom: apart from the shock and disappointment, all I see are bland reactions everywhere.

I'll continue reading the manga, but I'm not watching this stupid filler. Mad
alexcampos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, talk about KILLING the series, what's the point of watching this!

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T MAKE UP YOUR OWN STORYLINE.

hint....hint... stick to the manga, that goes to every anime following manga.
javi209

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Well this is going to be a waste of time. I was happy with the way the first season ended.There is no need to make a second. Unless the new master is a girl. Then maybe.
Mika20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't really feel impressed with this new deal.
I'll give it a shot, but probably won't be the same without Sebastian and Ciel. (Note: yes I have seen all of first season, but the manga continues with more to the story that was left out from the anime..which really bothered me.)

If the second season isn't so appealing, there's always the manga to read over. Besides, I would have preferred to read that over something completely different on the anime.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Although I am intrigued, I am honestly disappointed. I was incredibly mad when I first heard about this. It won't be the same without Sebastian and Ciel. Anime cry

Last edited by Pocky Monster on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
ayashe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I am furious. Like they didn't screw up this first one bad enough? How dare they associate this crap with the Kuroshitsuji series. Anyone who watches this is no fan of Kuroshitsuji. Have some loyalty.

Quote:
Anyway, spoiler[Ciel's dead,] so I don't see why no one saw this coming. And there isn't enough manga material for them to adapt a 24-episode series anyway. They're most likely going to make OVAs of the Circus and Murder Mystery arcs in the near future, so I don't understand the complaints. A second season of Ciel and Sebastian would be like 90% filler.

You clearly don't know the universal entertainment rule, anyone that dies can be brought back to life for a sequel. That's why no one saw this coming, because it's so insane. I don't know which is worse "DTB" 2, Goro Taniguchi's new Crack Geass, or this.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know which is worse "DTB" 2, Goro Taniguchi's new Crack Geass, or this.

I'll give you a hand with this. Kuroshitsuji 2 is worse, given that the first wasn't that good either. Perhaps the manga is, I don't know, but the anime was definitely nothing to look forward to. DTB 2 is bringing 4 specials, even for those who didn't like the season, that should be enough to shut them up, but by looking at you, it seems it didn't. Code Geass is always good news, since its universe has a lot to explore even without the main cast, unlike Kuroshitsuji. You happy boya?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
This seems a kinda wacky idea, since the word "Kuroshitsuji" has become branded with the images of Sebastian and Ciel. I don't see how the reaction is going to be so positive since they are calling it by the same name, and yet it seems to have nothing to do with the original characters. Though I am curious about the new characters, I'm not sure that I would watch it.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
I am furious. Like they didn't screw up this first one bad enough? How dare they associate this crap with the Kuroshitsuji series. Anyone who watches this is no fan of Kuroshitsuji. Have some loyalty.

INORITE? How dare fans enjoy a spinoff of their favorite show! Simply blasphemous.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a bit excited to see this. I started watching the first series, but quit. It deviated from the main storyline too much and was filled with filler...Bad filler. For example, I liked the idea of the gang headin' out to a "haunted" town, but when they stretched it out too long, added that horrid animation/ending with the spoiler[hellhound], and kept Pluto...I watched a few more eps and stopped.

But, I have hope that this series will not go down that route. It will have an independent storyline and new characters that can be expanded on. As long as the writers can skillfully craft it and not go overboard on the filler, I'll be fine. It won't beat the manga, of course, but it might be fun. It will be sad not having some characters, though.

However, this doesn't take away from the fact that it's a strange move. Everyone expected a sequel to magically make Ciel spoiler[live] for whatever reason, or chunks of the season to be a dream, or just start over again. It makes me wonder, though, if Toboso came up with the idea. She drew the artwork, so maybe she has some say in the story or even suggested the idea? I know some disgruntled fans are blaming Square Enix...But, really, SE isn't even involved in the anime from what I can tell. Their name gets stamped on, maybe, but anything else if from Toboso, the production company, and the writers.
Dezakore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Why do the natives always get restless when their favorite manga gets adapted into an anime and it's not perfectly identical word for word, panel by panel? I actually enjoy watching filler, bleach and naruto are prime examples! But seriously, why do people get all worked up? I like not knowing what's going to happen next.
KN_guro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
This is shit.

I thought maybe they were gonna make it follow the manga but I guess not.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Dezakore wrote:
Why do the natives always get restless when their favorite manga gets adapted into an anime and it's not perfectly identical word for word, panel by panel? I actually enjoy watching filler, bleach and naruto are prime examples! But seriously, why do people get all worked up? I like not knowing what's going to happen next.

The demise of Kenshin is usually blamed on the show getting so far off during the filler arc, they couldn't salvage it.
This is like killing Ichigo or Naruto off during a a filler arc. Yeah, it makes a big bang ending, but what do you do if you want to make more show? You couldn't even compare it to killing of Chad or Uryu because they aren't as high on the pecking order as the character the Kuroshitsuji animators decided to take out of the show.

Quote:
This seems a kinda wacky idea, since the word "Kuroshitsuji" has become branded with the images of Sebastian and Ciel. I don't see how the reaction is going to be so positive since they are calling it by the same name, and yet it seems to have nothing to do with the original characters. Though I am curious about the new characters, I'm not sure that I would watch it.

You know what it sounds like?
After taking out Michael Myers in Halloween II, someone had the great idea of Halloween continuing as an ongoing series of movies which wouldn't have to utilize past characters, we got Halloween III: Season of the Witch about evil halloween masks & no Halloween movies for 6 yrs after that.
Not a bad idea, but don't do it with a branded title. Create a series that works in the anthology mode. Hijacking an existing title just begs to incur the wrath of fans.

Quote:
How dare fans enjoy a spinoff of their favorite show! Simply blasphemous

Kill off Naruto, then make a new show called Naruto II with a different set of ninjas.
Or maybe just use an enirely different name that doesn't scream "shameless cash-in"
care2care

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm not upset as the other fans. A little disappointed, yes, but I think I will like the new season. Maybe they'll create an even more handsome cast than the first series to compensate for the crying fans..? Who knows... but what I do know is that when K2 starts airing, I'm definitely staying away from the episode discussions on MAL, that's for sure. Angered fanbases get on my nerves.

I haven't read the manga, as of yet, but I did buy the first volume the other day and I'm super eager to start reading.
Sachelarot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
I must admit, my first initial response to this news was shocking, to say the least. I had hoped that it wouldn't come to taking the Yu-Gi-Oh approach; using a series name without the original cast. So far, it seems that only Undertaker shall be making a solid reappearance in the new series. I do wonder about the other voice actors who signed on as well, but this new update about the 2nd season and it's highlight of the new cast makes me lose faith that the previous characters will be present at all in the series' return.

I did hope that spoiler[ Ciel's death had been unwritten. They had a perfect opportunity there, with the revealing that it was within a Shinigami's power to take a person's Cinematic Record, stop their predestined demise with a magical bookmark, and rewrite it. Since they didn't exactly show the moment of Ciel's death, with him falling dead in Sebastian's arms or something, it was a clear opening for some divine interference.] It seems like a waste of foreshadowing. Now it's like "That's a nice filler object that would have been convienant for in case of regret... or at least, an ability to get the show back on the road and have the story follow the manga closer."

Now, I don't think I'm going to utterly condemn the new season, but I'm not exactly hopeful. I was really hoping that with the knowledge that this show has recieved some high fan responses, they would have concentrated on upping the quality of the animation to make it flow better, and follow the original text. There may not be enough fodder for a 24 episode season, but they took the opportunity to deviate from the original text before, so it's sad that they decided to scrap the first season's cast and situations, and start anew with characters that, in my personal opinion, fail to fit in the same slots that Sebastian and Ciel once occupied. I've seen an image suspected to be a sketch of the pair of characters by Yana, and their design, though interesting, fail to bear a quality that says "main protagonist" to me. They just don't have the look of the poster children of the new season.

Perhaps I am being too judgemental for a show that has not yet appeared, but as a fan of the series who has been waiting patiently for a season that has been announced to never come, and of the beloved characters that I follow loyally every month as the manga updates, I must say that I'm disappointed.

However, the most we can do is decide if it's worth our time to watch this new approach, or to just honor the first season and pretend it was the last.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3