• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ven0m57

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Ok, So i will admit Full Metal Panic is one of my Favorit anime ever. but i was a tad dissapointed with TSR. it seemed a little to jumpy and the random stories didn't seem to mesh very well. For example the whole sub story with behemoth didn't realy amount to much other than a small bit of information regarding the spoiler[ wispered' ability to talk telepathicaly or whatever. Which as far as i noticed was only used once later in the series whenGoulin Hijacks their Sub/Base ]

I must say though i LOVED the way they brought back Souske's past with the mission to Helmajistan (or however u spell it lol) it was well brought out, lots of great flashbacks and story telling but why didn't they push the group farther? spoiler[ Was killing them rly the best way to go? ] that could have been a great way to develop Kaname and souske's relationship would it not? Is it just me or would the fact that they have obviosly been falling for each other not be tested and grow stronger where he given the chance to leave (well,....again..)

All in all i dont think i entirely understand TSR torward the end. Why did Mithril decide to spoiler[ replace souske with some guy in the shadows? ] not to mention the fact they left TSR with the potential to continue due to spoiler[ the tiny AS's. ] I dont think i entirely understand where they where trying to go with that. If someone could please shed some light on that.

As for the charicters, my favorit would totally be Kurtz. hystercaly funny, great personality and eeven when neccisary can be a totall bad ass. Mao would have to be my second Favorite, she brought a lot of the story together and also had a lot of funny moments dealing with Kutz.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Um, I think you have you seasons mixed up. spoiler[Behemoth, the Helmajistan arc, and the invasion of the Tuatha de Danaan,] all were in season one, not The Second Raid.

For the record, except for that stupid part about spoiler[Sousuke being forced to transfer away from guarding Kaname,] I thought The Second Raid was a much better season than the first.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
ven0m57 wrote:
Ok, So i will admit Full Metal Panic is one of my Favorit anime ever. but i was a tad dissapointed with TSR. it seemed a little to jumpy and the random stories didn't seem to mesh very well. For example the whole sub story with behemoth *snip*

Whoa, hold the phone here. Okay, the events you describe here are in the first series, not TSR, was that just a case of "getting ahead of ones-self" and messing up the order of your post?

Quote:
Why did Mithril decide to spoiler[ replace souske with some guy in the shadows?]

spoiler[Wraith wasn't a replacement, he/she was there the whole time, even in the first series (see TSR ep 6)]. As for why spoiler[they pulled Sousuke from that assignment, well that should be obvious. If you were running a military unit that was facing a potentially serious threat, would you want your #1 pilot away guarding some highschool girl, or close to home base, ready to move out when combat was unavoidable? Mithril decided his valuable skills were wasted on guard duty.]

Quote:
not to mention the fact they left TSR with the potential to continue due to spoiler[ the tiny AS's. ] I don't think i entirely understand where they where trying to go with that.

They did leave it open for more (come on Kyoani, get back to FMP already!), and from what I understand, there are still a number of novels worth of story left. I really do hope to hear about more FMP in the next year, I really do.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
As for why spoiler[they pulled Sousuke from that assignment, well that should be obvious. If you were running a military unit that was facing a potentially serious threat, would you want your #1 pilot away guarding some highschool girl, or close to home base, ready to move out when combat was unavoidable? Mithril decided his valuable skills were wasted on guard duty.]

It wasn't the fact that they did it, it was the way in which they carried it out. spoiler[If Sousuke is so important - and we all know he is - then you would think his superiors would care about his mental and emotional health. Do they? Nope. They suddenly yank him away from a girl which he had spent months guarding and with which he had established a close friendship. They then give him absolutely zip psychological support, even though he's so important. In fact, when he understandably gets distressed at what was happening MITHRIL just makes it worse by telling him to suck it up, or words to that effect. No wonder he snapped.]
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
ven0m57 wrote:
All in all i don't think i entirely understand TSR torward the end. Why did Mithril decide to spoiler[ replace souske with some guy in the shadows? ] not to mention the fact they left TSR with the potential to continue due to spoiler[ the tiny AS's. ] I don't think i entirely understand where they where trying to go with that. If someone could please shed some light on that.

The main reason that Sousuke spoiler[is ordered to stop protecting Kaname is that he was emotionally involved. The higher-ups saw that he is not focusing on his main duties as a soldier. This is clearly shown when he was demolished in a mock battle against Belfangan Clouseau. Being emotionally confused, he had trouble operating the ARX-7 Arbalest and utilizing the Lambda Driver.]

Of course, Mithril did not want to spoiler[leave Kaname without protection. They sent a member from their Intelligence Department. This "person in the shadows" is a woman who is a master of disguise. We know very little information about this replacement except her code name, "Wraith." However, Wraith plays an important role in the light novels and has some great character development.]

The spoiler[slightly bigger than a tall man sized-ASes you saw is Leonard Testarossa's creation. With this creation, Leonard currently has the world's most advanced AS. If you did not know, Leonard is Tessa's older brother. Leonard, like his sister, is a Whispered but possesses far more advanced technologies within him. This gives rise to the group, Amalgam. Like Mithril, they also have Black Technology. This causes a lot of problems for Mithril as they have no information on Amalgam.]

I liked Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid and consider it the best in the series even though there are two (I do not count Fumoffu in regards to the main storyline). The series does a great job advancing the story yet its ending brings more questions to the table than answers. The story continues in the light novels but a certain manga publisher only published three of the light novels. I highly doubt we will see the rest of the series translated. I hope that someone else picks up the light novel license.

It would be great if another Full Metal Panic! series was animated since there is plenty of material to draw from the light novels.
ven0m57

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
As for why spoiler[they pulled Sousuke from that assignment, well that should be obvious. If you were running a military unit that was facing a potentially serious threat, would you want your #1 pilot away guarding some highschool girl, or close to home base, ready to move out when combat was unavoidable? Mithril decided his valuable skills were wasted on guard duty.]

It wasn't the fact that they did it, it was the way in which they carried it out. spoiler[If Sousuke is so important - and we all know he is - then you would think his superiors would care about his mental and emotional health. Do they? Nope. They suddenly yank him away from a girl which he had spent months guarding and with which he had established a close friendship. They then give him absolutely zip psychological support, even though he's so important. In fact, when he understandably gets distressed at what was happening MITHRIL just makes it worse by telling him to suck it up, or words to that effect. No wonder he snapped.]

I totaly agree, but it also makes you wonder, his mental state helps his reaction when he see's Kaname again. which i thought was a hilarious reunion. even if they haven't been apart THAT long.

PS. I apologize for mixing up my seasons i was getting a bit exited. lol

Also, "The Naked Beast"? was all that in the Manga? (would explain why i didn't know some of that) though i could infer from some of the clues given. Or are there some random episodes floating around somewhere?
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
ven0m57 wrote:
Also, "The Naked Beast"? was all that in the Manga? (would explain why i didn't know some of that) though i could infer from some of the clues given. Or are there some random episodes floating around somewhere?

I read around a lot on information about the Full Metal Panic! light novels. I do not know if there is a The Second Raid manga but the information about spoiler[Amalgam, Leonard Testarossa, and "Wraith"] is in the light novels. In fact, most of The Second Raid anime is based on the The End of Day by Day light novels.
ven0m57

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Forgive me for my ignorance i cant remember his name at the moment, but the "sub boss" in TSR, with the extreamly weird voice and always playes with his hair? Also the twins worked for him temporarily. (forgive me if this makes understanding this a bit difficult) lol

Did he not work for spoiler[Amalgam? and if so why is it Tessa's Brother is not featered more seeing as he would seem like an important charicter correct?]
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
ven0m57 wrote:
Forgive me for my ignorance i can't remember his name at the moment, but the "sub boss" in TSR, with the extreamly weird voice and always playes with his hair? Also the twins worked for him temporarily. (forgive me if this makes understanding this a bit difficult) lol

Did he not work for spoiler[Amalgam? and if so why is it Tessa's Brother is not featered more seeing as he would seem like an important charicter correct?]

You probably must be referring to Gates. Yes, he does work for spoiler[Amalgam. He also pilots an advanced AS equipped with a Lambda Driver].

It has been a long time since I last saw The Second Raid. I probably might rewatch it again at some point due to this thread. I can not remember if Gates and spoiler[Leonard met face to face or communicated in some way or another in the anime. They are both part of Amalgam. However, Leonard commands more authority in the group since most of the Black Technology in Amalgam's armament is a result of his "Whispered" nature.]

I tried to answer your question but I was not sure what you were asking.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
I will clear up what I know about the story. spoiler[Amalgram have very advanced technology, and they can make a large amount of profit, and thefor control by selling weapons. So to make wars and insure that Amalgram can sell their weapons they create groups and hire psychopaths like Gauron and that blonde guy. And these guys supply weapons and insight war by working with guys like Army guy at the begining of of TSR. Now we don't know much about Amalgram except Tessa's brother is one of them, but I assume that further in the story we find out more and Tessa's brother appears more.

The guy in the shadows has been there all along, she even said she witnessed when Kaname was kidnapped in the first season she did nothing because it was not serious enough. Infact apparently that is why Sousuke often acted so millitary all the time, his instincts kicked in when a gun was pointed at him. I think MITRIL thought having him there was not necessary as an inteligence member was there and he is a big asset. But it was a good way to show he cared about her beyond dutey and forced them to accept his requests.]
ven0m57

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Well i guess, Lemme rephrase my question. It would seem, as DuskyPredator pointed out that spoiler[ Leonard has a bit more authority than gates, not to mention would seem like a much more important charicter. so why is it that gates, a relativly unseless (yet very strange/entertaining) villian, i guess you could call him, gets so much more screen time than Leonard?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
ven0m57 wrote:
Well i guess, Lemme rephrase my question. It would seem, as DuskyPredator pointed out that spoiler[ Leonard has a bit more authority than gates, not to mention would seem like a much more important charicter. so why is it that gates, a relativly unseless (yet very strange/entertaining) villian, i guess you could call him, gets so much more screen time than Leonard?]
spoiler[Leonard is meant to be a big cheese, he helps create technology and look over things. Gates and Gauron were pretty mentally unstable, and with a chemical's help they could chanel their mind to use the Lambda drive as powerful weaopns very easily. We thought that maybe these guys were in charge, but we learnt there are smarter people behind it. Leonard's introduction was probably meant to forshadow what will hapen in future arcs. Basicly he popped up to say things are bigger then you thought, and you can look forward to dealing with me in the future.]

So in conclusion we have to wait for KyoAni or what ever, to get what you want with Leonard.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It wasn't the fact that they did it, it was the way in which they carried it out. *snip*

Hey now, I agree that it was beyond harsh, but seriously, this is military we're talking about, and spoiler[a military that was faced with a very tense and delicate situation at the moment. I've never served in any military, but based on what I have read, researched, and heard from actual veterans, when desperate times arrive, they expect personal beefs to be put on the back-burner. Plus, this was a mercenary squad rather than a national force under the conventions of the UN. So although I do sympathize with Sousuke and feel his reaction to all of it was inevitable,] I still understand why things came to what they did.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
I can't accept that. If Sousuke is so important then he should be treated like it. spoiler[If the situation is so tense then that is even more reason to ensure the mental health of the pilots. Sousuke should be getting regular psychological evaluations and support so that MITHRIL's most important pilot is kept sane and content. There's no point in expecting him to spend more time "on the front line" (so to speak) if he gets serious depression and can't pilot at all, let alone effectively. Having him snap and kill his comrades is another possibility, one which would be exacerbated because of the nature of the machine he's piloting (not only could MITHRIL not stop him if he activated the Lambda Driver, they would have a hard time wanting to given that the Arbalest is too important to destroy). And anyway, telling a depressed person, even one used to military life such as him (or perhaps even especially a soldier) to suck it up is one of the worst things you can say. It's like they wanted him to snap.

Besides, MITHRIL is a mercenary organisation, a business if you will. If they don't offer free counselling in their contracts then they deserve to lose.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
Not everyone in MITRIL are the same, as evidence by what inteligence think of Tessa, they are very cold and professional and don't really care about the individual wants. Most of them have to seperate themselves from their humanity to do the jobs they do, they are in the job of killing and they would come across some messed up stuff. And they see sousuke as a loyal soldier/asset, and that they owned him. Tessa didn't lik the decision spoiler[to pull Sousuke from Kaname], but she knew she responsibility and it was good to see Sousuke question his responsibility and what he actualy wants.

Also how awesome was Sousuke's attack at the end, overkill much?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2