• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009's Top-Selling Manga in Japan, by Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
smokes wrote:
heh, as expected form OnePiece.. i'd read 1000 chapters more now...

btw is that Reborn that good ? o_O

Nope, it's just popular, let's just say thanks to it's all boy cast it's attracted many female readers
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
smokes wrote:

Nope, it's just popular, let's just say thanks to it's all boy cast it's attracted many female readers

However, it still has better story than Bleach, which repeats itself with the dumbest of all possible cliche "a girl is kidnapped, the rest of friends go to save her" and then again exactly the same thing: "a girl is kidnapped, the rest of friends go to save her"...

As to Naruto, can anyone explain what it means that the manga lost it's charm (though sales continue to grow, even though much slower than pure-entertainment "One Piece"; and the grown is surprising due to the fact that the mostly horrible anime does more harm than good for the manga)?..

I mean it is the only of the big series which includes occurring drama and tragedy even in bigger way than FMA with its heroes dying... other manga are childish in this sense because they afraid their weepy little readers would upset and stop reading new volumes... That difference/"charm" was with Naruto from very beginning; nothing changed in ten years...

Or people mean some other "charm"?..
jabjal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the charm (I'm not talking about the original poster but in general) hasn't been lost. Actually out of essentially most of the shonen's I've read naruto is the only one that has gotten significantly darker and features deaths of heroes on a semi-regular basis. I think as of late it has become the cool thing to say naruto isnt as great as it use to be yet those people still come back to watch it.

While I have to agree One Piece's story espescially currently has been on point and steadily gets better with each arc. So yes story wise one piece has been better than naruto presently. Since naruto's plot has been trying to find its footing for a little bit (sasuke shippuuden, etc.) Although it looks like its coming back on track.

Bleach ughhh I've wrote more than enough I dont think I need to go on a rant. I just lose
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
For who still doesn't read One Piece: I didn't like it at all the first time I tried to read it (several years ago), but I only tried to read the first two volumes.

Then, I tried again last year, and even if the first 8-10 volumes still didn't impress me much, I kept reading... the result? It started growing on me and I read the first 50 volumes (my boyfriend buy them, Italian edition) in only two months!

After that "marathon" I started loving it, and I highly suggest it to any comic reader, not only manga, since it's a great comic in the very sense of the word. It could not be as "modern" as Naruto, but in being a classic shounen it isn't beaten by any other one, imho.

P.S. By "classic shounen" I mean shounen more action/adventure oriented than Naruto and FMA (and HxH before them, partially), which introduced a lot of character developments and drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Taker128

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
smokes wrote:

However, it still has better story than Bleach, which repeats itself with the dumbest of all possible cliche "a girl is kidnapped, the rest of friends go to save her" and then again exactly the same thing: "a girl is kidnapped, the rest of friends go to save her"...

As to Naruto, can anyone explain what it means that the manga lost it's charm (though sales continue to grow, even though much slower than pure-entertainment "One Piece"; and the grown is surprising due to the fact that the mostly horrible anime does more harm than good for the manga)?..

I mean it is the only of the big series which includes occurring drama and tragedy even in bigger way than FMA with its heroes dying... other manga are childish in this sense because they afraid their weepy little readers would upset and stop reading new volumes... That difference/"charm" was with Naruto from very beginning; nothing changed in ten years...

Or people mean some other "charm"?..

Actually, if you look through it's sales history, at least in japan and East Asia, Naruto's sale have actually been slowing down as well as it's rating. Also OP weren't always have increasing sales either, this is actually its second peak in turns for sale. First peak was back during volume 24-27 where it broke single volume first print publish 3 times in the roll, and didn't really pick up its sales until volume 45 or so.

As for the reason I say naruto has lost it's charm was because to me, the series used to have much more face-paced action along with better story flow, but ever since time skip, the story pace has been irregular, and the fight has being drawn out, while at same time it power stracture and balance have slowly begin to crumple.

The overall story of recent arc is acutally not bad, but I personally think it is poorly paced. Not to mention that the series' setting was on a continent with 5 great ninja country, yet not once have I feel the story properly used that setting and despise all that have happen, it still does not give me a "OMG something big is happening"

As for other manga being childish, well what do you expect, Shonen mangas are targeted to ages from 8 all the way to 40. They were suppose to be all-age friendly. Your claim that Naruto different from other Shonen is not true and laughable, it did brought back Gaara from confirmed death, as well as Kakashi, and most villagers/shinobi who were killed in Konoha during Pain's Attack. That to me nulled any claim that Naruto is better because it has more realistic deaths and deaths to its heros. Afterall how many time has Krillin died in DB?

OP got its share of dark plots as well, from the void century to infomation manipulation of the World Government/Marines to genecide on Robin's home island all the way to slavery. Just because it shows less death doesn't mean the issues the series dealt with was less mature.

Really, If you categorize death and blood as important factor, I suggest you go read more seinen manga instead reading Shonen and complain about it. Seinen mangas aim towards ages 17 and up. Series like Bastard, Jojo, Claymore, Maonster, Sengoku, etc are all great manga with more violence and death than Naruto and all have great storyline. And stop complain Shonen need more blood, or Shojo should have less romance. Nothing needs to be changed, you are just reading the wrong genre.

As for horrible anime/manga did more harm than good, you are absolutely right, unfortunately OP is not one of them. It was 3 times finalist in Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize, the most accalimed manga award based on quality and futhering manga culture as a whole.

Again, I never say Naruto isn't good, I just don't think that it was as polished nor as well executed as OP and is definitely less entertaining than OP is right now. [Entertaining not in comical sense, I find Monster and Sengoku plainty entertaining as well] I just think that Naruto could have been that much better than it currently is showing right now.

To me the best part of Naruto was back during the Jonin Exam all the way to the timeskip. That was the period where it is hard to find faults in the series. After timeskip, there are just more and more plot points that are either inconsistent to the previous established plot points or were hard strech to justify, not to mention all the fast pace action for some reason has begin to drawn out and the angle that were used on the panels became less dynamic. Therefore I say what I did before.

PS. Reborn is acutally a pretty good series once you get to volume 10 or so when the story begin to pick up certainly more interesting than Bleach is right now, although I still think Kekkaishi is better than both. But I got to say Bleach wins in the art department on all its female characters.

Last edited by Taker128 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Spaceman-Spiff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Is this the first time ANN has created a complete list of top selling manga for the year or have there been other articles like this in the past?

You can also check comipress for older ones:
- http://comipress.com/article/2008/12/31/3733
- http://comipress.com/news/2007/12/31/3055
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
FMA sold 5.8 million copies with half the volumes released than Bleach or Naruto. And yeah, I'm considering reading One Piece too....
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Salsaman1991 wrote:
FMA sold 5.8 million copies with half the volumes released than Bleach or Naruto. And yeah, I'm considering reading One Piece too....

Only two tanks were released this year for FMA compared to the four for Naruto and five for Bleach
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I can not argue about pace and such things because those are subjective... I am not in the position to discuss such things about any of those shonen mangas...

to be clear, it should be said that did not have to compare OP with Naruto in quality of deaths since OP has none at all... also, while some personages that were dead return to life in Naruto, they are not returned in anyway close way to quality of DB or any typical shonen... Some though and concept built into it...

OP is totally different thing -- pure enjoyable entertainment with occasional digs into seriousness... and I would say that OP does need any more seriousness than it has at all; it is just different and it has to stay as it is...

about sales you are correct... basically in few years Naruto will become the second best selling manga in Japan (even though way behind OP), and the biggest selling "serious" manga of all time... Naruto is about 100 million copies in Japan and, as I said, the mostly horrible animé does harm it instead doing any good... (changes in quality of manga are harder to single out, so I am not discussing this...) FMA both with the first instalment (which was actually stronger in the concept than the manga itself) and the new one significantly boosted its sales...
with such about 100 million figure for Naruto it is obvious that in 10 years some yearly sales were way bigger than current near to 7 million copies...

but still naruto is unique for being the biggest "serious"/dark manga... not only it has the darkness, it has nearly War And Peace scale of complexity, probably the best thought-out fights is pseudo-science reasonings... "Hunter X Hunter" could compete with the latter, but the author tends to be too wordy...

while Bleach is nonsensical and/or pointless with its plot and cliched, tired concept, it has probably the most elegant and refined artistry in drawings... I would not say the creatures/characters that appear are more unique than from other talented drawers, but they are all, in general, more elegant... this somehow narrows things what you can expect from Bleach, but it is beautiful...
Featherwind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I thing that they should include also the number of volumes released that year to allow for a clearer picture.

For example, Naruto is actually way ahead of Bleach, yet Bleach seems to sell almost the same amount.

Well, I did some checking and it turns out Naruto only both released 4 new volumes this year while Bleach released six, judging that way, it's obvious Naruto did alot better in the sales. This is also likely the case for some other series such as FMA.

As for One Piece, no words needed with regarded to its sales. I'll admit it doesn't really appeal to me as much as Naruto, but I can see why people like it from what I've read. One Piece has a very detailed universe and history, which I think is what allows it to continue to keep the suspense although more or less no one dies in it.

Of the three, I think Bleach needs to buck up more...there's a reason why it's consistently way behind One Piece and Naruto, sometimes not even coming in 3rd in series sales. The pacing is too slow, OP and Naruto squeeze alot more info and one chapter, plus it doesn't have as detailed a universe as the other two. That's a reason why I think in the Weekly Jump rankings, usually it's OP and Naruto consistently holding the top two slots, whereas Bleach sometimes can fall to even 6th place.

About Naruto's sales declining, actually comparing with last year, its sales increased by more than two million for the same number of volumes released (4). Sales for all series including OP and Bleach also increased.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2