• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-11-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
My quote of Mohawk52's statement wasn't directed at you personally.

Yeah but Mohawk's comment itself did appear to be directed at me. I was going to just leave it but then you agreed so I decided to address it. Again, the issue I take with it is that regardless of whether it's true, it is a lazy and abstract straw man criticism. All it contributes is a vague implication that the history as we know it is somehow wrong and thereby I am too. It never actually suggests any particular thing I've said is wrong or gives anything in particular to which I may offer a counter point. If there is any particular and relevant point which you or Mohawk feel I am incorrect about then by all means point it out. If you're just trying to generally say that things aren't black and white and some things are often forgotten then I've already made it clear I agree.

As to the saying itself, I would agree it has some bit of truth to it. However, it's also vastly over dramatic. If you look at the actual event in question, yes the winners do influence how history is perceived by some. However, it's hardly to the extent where you can say they 'write history'. The extent to which they can reasonably influence things is fairly limited and it's merely some sources that are affected.
I think you're being waaay too sensitive about this. Firstly, it was a generic statement pointed at everyone and no one in particular, so don't take it personally. Secondly, if we all can remember our school history lessons can anyone remember any history written by, say a Southern Confederate author on his view of events leading up to, and concluding the outcome of the US civil war? Hell even our English Civil War has history written by both sides vilifying each other. How many in the world still vilify Japan for it's history lessons it teaches its children about its involvement in WW2? Or the Russian's history of the that time during the Soviet era? If you could collectively gather all those together and compare them, I'm sure no one would be that surprised to see completely different versions of history during those events, and which ones are accepted by the "free world" as the correct ones. Keep in mind that there are still some political leaders who have outly stated that the holocaust "never happened". So that statement I made, though controversial, is none the less correct, and still debated in learned circles of history.

How many know that the original target of the first atom bomb was Berlin? that the Germans were going to use theirs on London if they were able to make one? Some have said that "the atom bomb was dropped on civilian targets" How many knew that in Japan at that time everyone was expected to be a combatant, old men, young mothers and older children, anyone who could hold a rifle, or sword, or rolling pin, anything that could be used as a weapon were being trained, and ordered by the Imperial government to defend their bit of land if, and when the Allies landed on their beaches? It was the way the Japanese defended those tiny islands out in the Pacific and the high body count of US soldiers trying to take those same islands what made Truman take the final decision to use the A-bomb on Japan and all targets were declared as military because in Hiroshima there was an army training base close by. It was some of the soldiers from there that came into the city to help with whatever rescue operation could be done. Nagasaki was a naval replenishment port.
Metal_Slug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Metal_Slug wrote:
It think their comedy is horrible, though, so for humor I stick to Family Guy.

Give me Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, and Ouran High School Host Club any day over the last season of Family Guy, a.k.a. Seth McFarlene being too busy preaching his political and religious views to actually be funny.

Fumoffu was pretty funny, and Ouran does an okay job. Still, I definitely prefer shows like Family Guy; I like the in-references to our culture, which would be hard to get from anime
Metal_Slug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Metal_Slug wrote:
Not in cartoons generally, though, I'm mainly referring to Pixar, which is in my opinion, better than any Japanese animated release

While comparing 2D Western animation and anime is already a stretch, comparing 3D Western animation to anime is completely ridiculous to me. Not only because the mediums are so utterly different, but because to me 3D will always lose out to 2D for me. It just doesn't have that beauty.

My opinion doesn't have to be your opinion. For me, they are obviously very different, but still comparable. For you its a stretch but for me just because animation comes from Japan doesn't make it completely different from Western animation, especially since it originated from that. For me 3D is just as good and is fully capable of being better than 2D. I think they are both are great mediums to illustrate a story. For me Japanese/Western, 2D/3D animation are comparable. It is difficult to pick favorites though. I like both overall, I guess and don't have major flaws with either.
Metal_Slug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

There should be another Answerfans column after this asking people if they prefer Japanese live-action or American live-action. The reason for this is because Japanese live-action TV is mostly news and cooking shows--that is, on the flip side of things, we do have many high quality live-action stuff for adults that the Japanese aren't doing.

I was thinking that too. While Japanese animation has the edge on adult shows, variety, and lots of genres to pick from, I think Western live-action has the same advantages over the Japanese counterpart. But obviously thats just what I think; I'd like to see other fan's thoughts.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
Metal_Slug wrote:
My opinion doesn't have to be your opinion.

That's fine, I was just stating mine as you did yours.

Metal_Slug wrote:
For me 3D is just as good and is fully capable of being better than 2D.

I understand that; I just happen to disagree. Wink
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote
Metal_Slug wrote:

I was thinking that too. While Japanese animation has the edge on adult shows, variety, and lots of genres to pick from, I think Western live-action has the same advantages over the Japanese counterpart. But obviously thats just what I think; I'd like to see other fan's thoughts.

This reeks of "Japan can't do anything better than us" or "There must be something than Japan is worse than us" attitude. I haven't seen that many doramas but I would say the most interesting Japanese live-action is made for theaters. Even after such legends as Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ozu and Masaki Kobayashi there still are Takeshi Kitano, Takashi Miike and Hirokazu Kore-eda whose best movies have nothing to be shamed of compared to anything that Hollywood has produced.
Metal_Slug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
"This reeks of "Japan can't do anything better than us" or "There must be something than Japan is worse than us" attitude. I haven't seen that many doramas but I would say the most interesting Japanese live-action is made for theaters. Even after such legends as Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ozu and Masaki Kobayashi there still are Takeshi Kitano, Takashi Miike and Hirokazu Kore-eda whose best movies have nothing to be shamed of compared to anything that Hollywood has produced.[/quote]
Japan can certainly do things better than other places, I just get so sick of people saying that in Japan everything. single. thing. is better. You try sitting through 2 hours of presentations about Japanese culture (in Japanese class) in which every presentation turns into, Japan has better trains, Japan has better cars, Japan has better food, Japan has better snacks/sweets, Japan has better video games, Japan has better cell phones, Japan has better gardens" etc, etc. It starts to kill you on the inside. So I guess my natural defense is that ,"No. They are just as good and just as bad. So there." Henceforth, I prefer our live-action, but their animation can be very good, and in cases better. I'm just overdosing on people who practically idolize the culture. Confused And so yes, their movies can be bettter too. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6