• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation New Title Solicitations (Feb '10).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
metrokard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
no new initial d yet ;.;
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, they did only aquire them a month and a half ago. And they are redubbing the entire thing, which is 63 TV episodes, 2 OVA episodes and a feature length movie.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how well Blu ray is selling for funi.
metrokard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
i think if they released it at the same time as the dvd it would sell alot better.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think I may have found my reason to finally get a Blu-ray player. I always told myself anime wouldn't become popular on BD for at least another year. I guess I forgot how awesome Funimation was.

Now I just need to find out if I can hold out a couple months to a year for BD copies when there are DVDs already available for a show I really want??? Sometimes I hate Japan because they make the US companies stall BD releases until they're done. Stupid Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I was unaware that Claymore was on BluRay, or going to be, unless it's not out in Japan either. Otherwise I'm sure I'd have seen some type of news or rip by now. The show definitely was not broadcast in HD when it aired.

That is good news though.

As for buying regular TV series on BluRay, you won't really be getting your money's worth. While stuff is sharper, you're not increasing a whole lot of detail most of the time, just upscaling to make it look better on bigger TVs. I still feel that high budget OVAs and movies are where the focus of HD-remastering should be.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Are you referring to just shows made in SD or TV series in general? The one thing I hear a lot is that a show not made in HD isn't worth paying the BD price tag because it's just an upscale. So, would a show that was made in HD like Soul Eater is (I think it is) benefit from a BD version? Or, is my 360 that already upscales DVDs to 720p good enough and I have no need to upgrade?

I'm the furthest thing from a tech guru so all this Blu-ray, standard def, upscaling, 4:3 aspect ratios, etc goes right over my head.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

As for buying regular TV series on BluRay, you won't really be getting your money's worth.

With the current RightStuf price, the Blu-Ray is only $8 more than the DVD. At that difference, I go with Blu-Ray, even if the difference is slight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

As for buying regular TV series on BluRay, you won't really be getting your money's worth.

With the current RightStuf price, the Blu-Ray is only $8 more than the DVD. At that difference, I go with Blu-Ray, even if the difference is slight.

It's not about the price, it's about whether Claymore was in HD or not.

The King of Harts wrote:
Are you referring to just shows made in SD or TV series in general? The one thing I hear a lot is that a show not made in HD isn't worth paying the BD price tag because it's just an upscale. So, would a show that was made in HD like Soul Eater is (I think it is) benefit from a BD version? Or, is my 360 that already upscales DVDs to 720p good enough and I have no need to upgrade?

I'm the furthest thing from a tech guru so all this Blu-ray, standard def, upscaling, 4:3 aspect ratios, etc goes right over my head.

A show not made in HD can be re-mastered by scanning the actual film footage, but newer shows don't use film it's all digital. Not every show is done in such a way that BluRay is the best option for it. For Claymore, I guess we'll have to see what's going on with it, but most recent shows blown up to 1080p can't have that much to gain. I'd say most animation probably reaches its maximum at 720p, unless it's a Pixar film.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks to Soul Eater finally getting a release date, I have another item I may have to get at A-Cen this year. Anime hyper Hopefully the money I save up between now and May will get me everything I want.

Somehow I doubt it. Anime hyper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Thanks to Soul Eater finally getting a release date, I have another item I may have to get at A-Cen this year. Anime hyper Hopefully the money I save up between now and May will get me everything I want.

Somehow I doubt it. Anime hyper

Isn't anime at cons usually just the flat-out MSRP? There are many ways to make payments online these days, and anime can be had for far less than con prices. The only things usually worth looking into getting at cons are merch that isn't available elsewhere, because otherwise the shipping can really increase the cost. Contrast to anime that usually available at Amazon and Rightsuf, which have certain monitory points where shipping then becomes free.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Woo-hoo, Claymore on BD! Whether it's 'worth' it or not...meh. If I already owned it on DVD I wouldn't bother buying it on BD because I can't imagine the difference being too big (although if ANN has a review/shelf life on the BD release and wants to note if there's any substantial difference, it would be greatly appreciated). But given I don't own the DVDs, I think the BD will be my purchase.

Still waiting on news about Strike Witches...or was that supposed to be a spring release?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to finally own Soul Eater, hands down my favorite shonen anime ever. I've been waiting for this release since Funi announced that they licensed it at the beginning of the year. I can't wait for the release.

As for the Blu-ray releases I'm not sure what to think about them so far. I don't have a Blu-ray player so I haven't seen many yet but from what I've seen it usually doesn't seem to different unless it's a really high budget art anime. Sometimes I find myself thinking "wow this looks pretty nice" while other times I'll think "I don't see what's so great about this". It seems like it might end up just costing me more in the long run to start collecting Blu-ray. Though I guess it doesn't really concern me as much as it does my friends who actually have Blu-ray players. If the Blu-ray format really does take off and knocks DVD out of the market then I hope the price might drop a bit. But only time will tell.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Aw man. I didn't see that one coming. Guess I'll quit buying Claymore and wait for the Blu-ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1