• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basquash! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Does anyone with even a modicum knowledge of physics realise what will happen next? In an event faithful to physics, the force of something that large hitting three other somethings with that speed would render all four as one heck of an explosion and not much else. We're talking a megaton-level explosion at least, which would also wipe the city from all levels of existence other than memory.

...and this is why Basquash has never, and will never, bill itself as a sci-fi series. If you're under a different impression I wouldn't keep watching if I were you.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
*physics stuff*
Yeah, the suspension of disbelief had to be cranked up to maximum to handle this episode . . . . . .

First off, get your filthy real-world physics out of my basketball-playing mecha fantasy.

Second, who cares? This is clearly the world where physics breaks if something is awesome enough.

In regards to the moon travel, it's already been well-established that travel to and from the moon is a very exclusive privilege, so it makes sense (to me, anyway) that a single country could monopolize moon travel with such a small volume of traffic.
hellfire104

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought this show got cancelled...why is it still being fansubbed?

I figured once it got cancelled it would stop being released but episode 16 JUST was posted...

wtf?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Cancelled? Where did you here that?

So, if fansubs for episodes beyond what you thought the show was going to air appear, there seem to be three possible explanations: one, the show wasn't canceled; two, it was canceled, but the unaired episodes are being released on disc (unlikely, given the speed); or three, the "fansubbers" released a prank episode (and there's an easy way to see if that's the case).
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
hellfire104 wrote:
I thought this show got cancelled...why is it still being fansubbed?

I figured once it got cancelled it would stop being released but episode 16 JUST was posted...

wtf?

You're obviously wrong. If it had gotten cancelled ANN would have mentioned it.

I think what you really heard was that the director got fired, and you just assumed that the show went down with him. Either that or someone fed you a complete lie; whoever told you it was cancelled is an arsehole.
hellfire104

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
in any event, this show sucks badly...I wish it would have been cancelled so i could quit having to watch it for a review...

its like torture...
tarheel91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
hellfire104 wrote:
in any event, this show sucks badly...I wish it would have been cancelled so i could quit having to watch it for a review...

its like torture...

I assume you also didn't enjoy Transformers 2 because of the weak plot or lack of intellectual content.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
hellfire104 wrote:

its like torture...

Then stop watching it. I can never comprehend why people keeping watching things they hate.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, Basquash! really has gone in a strange direction this time. Gladiators fighting in an arena? Everyone but Dan managing to sneak into the geofront? Actually, that's not surprising. What was surprising was seeing Flora in that outfit; guess you have to pay your way however you can take it. Miyuki seems to have met someone who knew (and hated) her grandfather, we now know how Iceman lost his arm and apparently a leg as well, and we also learnt that the city seems to be well-connected. I was shocked to hear that the bar Iceman frequented was part of a franchise that extends to the moon; you think Dan and the others would have heard something about an underground city, and indeed some of them had. Finally, Earth and the Moon were settled by space-faring basketball-playing aliens? What?

All in all the episode was very strange. Not bad, just strange. I wonder if this was the direction originally planned or if the new director decided upon this? Either way it has livened up the series, the new villain/rival especially. Anyone who thinks he can kill a legend is either extremely stupid or extremely badass.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Everyone but Dan managing to sneak into the geofront? Actually, that's not surprising.

In his defence, It looks like Iceman lead him into that trap on purpose, everyone else just took their time and went a smart rout.

Quote:
What was surprising was seeing Flora in that outfit; guess you have to pay your way however you can take it.

You know, that didn't really surprise me. Seeing as how she runs around as a boy most of the time just makes me think think she's willing to adapt to any situation by taking any role asked of her. I didn't really care for her "reveal" to the other girls all that much, just seemed too convenient. Though it wasn't surprising that the girls had already figured it out, in fact it's probably only Dan that doesn't know.

Quote:
you think Dan and the others would have heard something about an underground city, and indeed some of them had.

In all fairness, they do seem to be pretty far from home.

Quote:
Finally, Earth and the Moon were settled by space-faring basketball-playing aliens? What?

That we already knew, someone (I think Rouge) told this story, they even used the same animation of the landscape and space. The idea of living giant descendants is new. They look like they're being used as slave labor. Don't suppose the whole idea is for Dan to liberate the giants from their captors on the moon?

This did feel like a turning point in the series, lots of new characters. But you have to wonder, now that they've taken the sport out of Basquash what's left? It's looking like the games are over now that there's a somewhat more serious undertone to the series.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tarheel91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, Basquash! really has gone in a strange direction this time. Gladiators fighting in an arena? Everyone but Dan managing to sneak into the geofront? Actually, that's not surprising. What was surprising was seeing Flora in that outfit; guess you have to pay your way however you can take it. Miyuki seems to have met someone who knew (and hated) her grandfather, we now know how Iceman lost his arm and apparently a leg as well, and we also learnt that the city seems to be well-connected. I was shocked to hear that the bar Iceman frequented was part of a franchise that extends to the moon; you think Dan and the others would have heard something about an underground city, and indeed some of them had. Finally, Earth and the Moon were settled by space-faring basketball-playing aliens? What?

All in all the episode was very strange. Not bad, just strange. I wonder if this was the direction originally planned or if the new director decided upon this? Either way it has livened up the series, the new villain/rival especially. Anyone who thinks he can kill a legend is either extremely stupid or extremely badass.

We're going to get along a lot better in this thread. Smile

I enjoyed the last episode as well. It was absolutely ridiculous and absurd, but it was fun, and that's all that counts. Everything's so exaggerated; I love it. Dan's cellmate looks awesome; can't wait to see what goes down between the two.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's funny how such a tiny portion of dialogue can distinguish a good villain from a lame one. That "Legends? I can kill legends," line was brilliant.

I really enjoyed episode 16. Again, the atmosphere of a quite literal representation of hell, was great. I also think this was a great time to put this arc. spoiler[The irony of them trying to make it to the highest place they can and then ending up in the lowest of the low is fantastic, and will just make their arrival on the moon that much sweeter.]

The change in storyline isn't unexpected for me at all. I knew that the first eight to ten episodes were pure fun and that a serious storyline would have to emerge somewhere along the line (Gurren Lagann style); the question is whether or not the seriousness will break the series. So far it's being handled well, albeit not beautifully.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

Giants...playing Basketball...

At this point, this is no longer just a simple mecha anime but is clearly Macross in another universe. Not a bad thing, just a little different from what I expected from this show since episode 1.

Hmm....Flora getting groped....
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
At this point, this is no longer just a simple mecha anime but is clearly Macross in another universe.

A universe where the power of song does not make said giants go gaga. You have to admit, it is an improvement.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Truely.

But anyway, back to episode 17. The new OP animation was pretty interesting, looks like Rouge could be coming back quite soon, Sela and Navi are being paired up quite a bit, Violette and Citron singing without Rouge, Thousand and Soichi with the crack running up between them (which counters the image of Miyuki and Flora which now features Rouge), and a bunch of other little things.

As for the episode itself: spoiler[Navi's pretty cool and based on the way things are going between and the preview of the next episode they're really setting him and Sela up together. In the opening where we see the two together she's smiling rather than shocked/afraid like in this episode. I have a feeling she's found the legendary genes she's been looking for (not going to ask how that would actually work...). Navi is also capable of doing the same ricochet shot as Dan (and to an extent Iceman, but his just goes right through things). Thousand is proving to be a bit of an enigma, but she certainly is aware of her surroundings. I had a hunch that she was the one that saved Iceman, but I wasn't expecting that to be revealed so soon. We also learn that it was Price that did it to him. She has at least one missing eye, kinda makes you wonder how much of her is actually human. Also seems that Iceman and Falcon are patching things up. Price isn't wasting any time going after Dan, but who's going to save him? I'm guessing Navi, but Price could just as easily end up with a Destroy ball to the "head". Looks like Eclipse is being turned purely into a BF team rather than idols, but with what looks like Rouge defecting I doubt it'll last. No comment about the shower scene. Very Happy]

Just a theory, but spoiler[notice that with Naviga joining and likely Rouge joining as well, Team Basquash will now have six playing members. Either they're going to start playing at least one 5 on 5 full court game (the type Dan hates) or there's potential for them to have an alternate team or even a spin-off team. I would think Dan, Iceman, and Rouge on one team and Sela, Navi, and "Allan" on the second team. I mean, what's the point of gathering so many players if they're just travel companions?]

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12