• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron: Still Looking at Battle Angel 'Very Seriously'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pi8you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Anyone else find that metaphor more than a little distasteful, and completely inappropriate?

Besides that, I can't wait to see what he does with Battle Angel.

Honestly, it may not be the prettiest thing to picture, but it's an incredibly apt metaphor for creating and releasing a big budget movie.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Anyone else find that metaphor more than a little distasteful, and completely inappropriate?

I think you're overreacting.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I still just want to know if she'll be Alita (American version) or Gally (Japanese version). And about a half a dozen other name changes the American adaptation did. Seriously, can someone tell me why they changed her name? I've always wondered.

They probably just though that Alita was the better name (and I agree). There's actually some logic to that, since Alita was originally her name in the dream sequence in last volume, so they just switched the names for the American edition. As for the title, well, 'Gun Dream' would have been a little bit misleading name for cyberpunk/martial arts series.

Did they really change that many names though? All I can remember are the protagonist, title, Tiphares and Ketheres.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
They probably just though that Alita was the better name (and I agree).

Meh, I don't. To me they're both equally good.

Quote:
As for the title, well, 'Gun Dream' would have been a little bit misleading name for cyberpunk/martial arts series.

Especially since 1) she doesn't fight with a gun (hardly anyone does) and 2) the reference to it doesn't show up until, what, volume 6 of "Last Order"? And even there it feels like the author just added it in to justify a title chosen to sound "cool."

Quote:
Did they really change that many names though? All I can remember are the protagonist, title, Tiphares and Ketheres.

Maybe not. "Half a dozen" is me being vaguely less than 10, not specifically 6.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I am just happy he's still considering doing the movie. Cameron has been, and will always be, my favorite director, and as far as iam concerned anything he touches turns to solid gold. Hell i started reading the Battle Angel Alita manga, simply because he said he was thinking about making a live action film
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
There's actually some logic to that, since Alita was originally her name in the dream sequence in last volume, so they just switched the names for the American edition.

The Viz adaptation started a few years before the last volume came out. Kishiro was referencing the English version. Fred Burke wrote a sidebar about his scripting for the series in Animerica Vol. 1 #8 (BAA cover, Kishiro interview).

Still haven't caught up with the Last Order manga, since I'm concentrating on Kekkaishi and Cheeky Angel right now. Once I have, then I'll get the 2nd ed. of the original series; had the old $16 GNs and single issues, but I hear the extras in the right-to-left version are nice.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Having seen the OVA, I can see the promise in the Battle Angel world being depicted on-screen. What I saw could have become a memorable little show had it been tweaked and edited in certain parts. My interest in this will depend heavily on how Gally is portrayed in live-action, and whether it suffices to lure me away from my preference for animation and draw me into a cinema.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2