• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
suggestions anyone?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Your Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Ok I'm probably going to get verbally slapped for putting this in this form (I've seen it happen to 3 users already and I feel bad for them) but I have no idea were to post this question. I'm a manga/anime fan as you know (I wouldn't be posting if I wasn't) and I need help finding some mature rated manga. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for hentai or anything (I hate that stuff) I'm just looking for a manga story with mature characters with a mature rich storyline that I can read. I'm not sure if you understand what I'm asking so I hope you can help anyway.

I just don't want the Giggle fest type of manga were everyone is always getting caught in stupid situations or the girls are always caught in a sexual joke and end up flashing the other characters and then beating them up in a full rage for seeing. I do want a manga with some laughs but nothing ridiculous. Can someone give me some ideas? I would love some help. If you’re going to be rude to me or criticize me just don't comment. I don't want to run into any rude users on this site.
Sad
Jump Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Your Protector wrote:
Ok I'm probably going to get verbally slapped for putting this in this form (I've seen it happen to 3 users already and I feel bad for them) but I have no idea were to post this question. I'm a manga/anime fan as you know (I wouldn't be posting if I wasn't) and I need help finding some mature rated manga. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for hentai or anything (I hate that stuff) I'm just looking for a manga story with mature characters with a mature rich storyline that I can read. I'm not sure if you understand what I'm asking so I hope you can help anyway.

I just don't want the Giggle fest type of manga were everyone is always getting caught in stupid situations or the girls are always caught in a sexual joke and end up flashing the other characters and then beating them up in a full rage for seeing. I do want a manga with some laughs but nothing ridiculous. Can someone give me some ideas? I would love some help. If you’re going to be rude to me or criticize me just don't comment. I don't want to run into any rude users on this site.
Sad

I see what you mean and I know a few of those. Wink

*Blue Heaven (That one is only in Japanese, but it fits just the right description. You can read some scanlations.)
*Sidooh (You can read scanlations.)
*Dogs/Bullets & Carnage (Published by Viz Media in U.S.)

I have all the volumes of the Japanese version. I would highly reccomend "Blue Heaven". Smile
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
If your looking for something that's actually rated as "mature" I'd defiantly check out Old Boy . It's a really good series, and also an awesome movie. I would also suggest Me and the Devil Blues, it has a very compelling story line and some beautiful art work. Urasawa's work like 20th Century Boys and Pluto would also be a good fit.

I would suggest getting familiar with a magazine called [Afternoon]. They run allot of quality "mature" manga. In the past they've run series like Genshiken, Blame!, Mushi-shi, ext.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jump Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
If your looking for something that's actually rated as "mature" I'd defiantly check out Old Boy . It's a really good series, and also an awesome movie. I would also suggest Me and the Devil Blues, it has a very compelling story line and some beautiful art work. Urasawa's work like 20th Century Boys and Pluto would also be a good fit.

I would suggest getting familiar with a magazine called [Afternoon]. They run allot of quality "mature" manga. In the past they've run series like Genshiken, Blame!, Mushi-shi, ext.

Yeah, Afternoon, that's essential. Very Happy I would also suggest getting familiar with Ultra Jump. Well, that's if you know Japanese. Razz
AnimeDoll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I second Mushi-shi and Dogs. Hmmmm, Black Lagoon maybe?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
Mature rating, huh?

If you want some good laughs, start reading The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery service. It's a very unique combination of quirky characters, horror and unusual scenarios. The mature rating comes mostly from the cropses and the language used.

Dance Till Tomorrow is a good choice if you're looking for a story about mature relationships. Eh, but good luck finding it, it's been out of print for years now.

Not all mature stories have that enough objectionable content to warrant a M-rating though. Some of the best reads are rated T or T+. Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover, Mushishi, Phoenix, Solanin, The Embalmer...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

Dance Till Tomorrow is a good choice if you're looking for a story about mature relationships. Eh, but good luck finding it, it's been out of print for years now.

I agree. This is the best slice of life manga ever. It has it's silly moments but that's part of the charm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1