• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ever had an anime nerd moment?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
By anime nerd moment I mean those times when you actually aren't doing anything anime related, but your nerdom still breaks through. I've had this happen to me several times, but recently it's been happening more than I like. In the past month alone I can remember two very distinctly.

First one:
My dad and I were building a trailer and we were drilling holes. Thing is, we were trying to drill metal when we don't have drill bits made to go through metal, but we tried anyways. My dad says, "I just can't drill through this." I think you know where I'm going with this. I then say back to him with a jokingly, serious face and say, "Dad, your drill is one that will pierce the heavens!" I'm standing there laughing and my dad just has a 'what did I miss?' look on his face. I think my sanity died a little bit on that day.

Second one: Well, for those who haven't read my introduction in the intro thread, I live on a farm and raise chickens, among other animals. One breed we have is called a leghorn, which, as you can tell, is usually an all white chicken. One day I noticed something very odd about some of them, they had little spots on their feathers. Not just any spots though, a very noticeable black spot. So my brain automatically says, "Hey, that's just like Rakka from Haibane Renmei" and I then proceeded to hit myself in the head, not hard though. My mom sees it and says, "Aaron, why'd you hit yourself?" and I go, "Because the stupid chickens remind me of Haibane Renmei!" Obviously, she had no idea what I was talking about.

Now, I made this thread for all of us to post our funny stories so we can laugh with/at each other and possibly brighten someones day. If you don't have a funny story then you haven't seen enough anime and need to get off this forum and start popping DVD's into your player so you can share a funny story one day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Well, not quite stellar as yours, but sometimes when I'm mocking nerds or geeks, I will use a stereo typical voice to do so. Lately I've been adding something to the end of my little mocks that I never did so before. I didn't even realize it until one of my friends asked me what the heck what "uguuu" meant. For shame Laughing

The King of Harts wrote:

"Aaron, why'd you hit yourself?" and I go, "Because the stupid chickens remind me of Haibane Renmei!"

wow. just wow. Very Happy

Last edited by David.Seth on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Okay, here it goes:

Well, I was a young lad back in the Dragonball Z craze. Early in the series Nappa blows a planet up with a special move, and then shortly after blows up a city on Earth using the same technique. What did the technique look like? The index finger and middle finger of the right hand pointing to the sky. Some of you have probably already figured it out, but I'll just say it anyway. At school one day me and my friends were fooling around, wherein I whipped out Nappa's attack and "blew up" one of them (you do silly things when you're young). Whoops, a teacher who was passing by saw it and thought I was giving him the finger; she immediately gave me a minor detention. What's worse, my friend, although he knew about DBZ, did not know about the relatively minor attack, and also thought I had given him the finger. I managed to persuade him that it was just an attack from DBZ, but that was a hairy moment.

That's easily my most embarrassing example, but by no means the only one.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Y'know those signs grocery stores hang above the aisles to tell you what's in 'em? One of the local mom n' pop places has hand painted signs... and I've had an urge to take a picture of the cleaning suppiles aisle for ages- so I can photoshop Ichigo in under the big 'Bleach' on the sign. Laughing

(Actually, I do crap like this alot, this is just the only one that comes to mind...)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
Most I can think of at the moment is at some moments when I am having a conversation about something I get the urge to pull a Zetsubou sensei and act dramatic and shout "I am in disair, (blank) has left me in Dispair". There actualy was a moment a while back where I heard on the tv that some guy held up trafic for hours by threatening to jump, and aparently some guy who looked like he was planning on shakeing his hand instead just pushed him over the edge, only to be saved by a half made rescue attempt at the bottom. As soon as I heard this I burst out laughing, I am sure my family confused why, as it souned like somthing Nozomu would do followed by yelling "what if I had been killed".
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator, that is just awesome. Seriously. I wish I watched your news.

Anyway, I'm pretty nerdy a lot of the times. I continue to make random sounds that most anime girls make (I'm a guy) by tightening my throat. Like when I do something good. Or I'm confused. Or a brick hit my foot. Nii~

I also have urges to shout out lines from anime that seem appropriate at the time.
MironBiron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

"Aaron, why'd you hit yourself?" and I go, "Because the stupid chickens remind me of Haibane Renmei!"

I've seen Haibane Renmei but I don't get this one, lol..
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42, I love that story. Especially how your friend, who watched DBZ also, thought you were flicking him off. Just proves one of two things: A) They weren't nerd enough or B) you were too nerdy.

MironBiron wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I've seen Haibane Renmei but I don't get this one, lol..

WHAT!? C'mon, you know. spoiler[Black spotted feathers on chickens = Rakka and her black spotted feathers.] It's just that now they're chickens instead of people.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Once, my friends and I were driving to the beach and that dumb "lolipop" song came on. You know, "Go ahead and pop that lolli!" right? Well, silly me started jokingly accusing those musicians of promoting child-molestation...
Heh, well... after some blank staring, I ended up having to explain what the term 'lolli' means and even what and who can be classified as 'lolli.' Kind of an awkward moment there, be careful when using that term, folks.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
^Wow.

I was at a tournament (shut up. Just shut up) where teams from different colleges answer trivia questions. I was in the audience while two other teams were getting ready to play each other and before the match started the question reader aked the players what their favorite cartoon characters were. One of the guys said Rock Lee, and without thinking I whispered to myself "yessss"--clinched fist and everything.

After the match that guy approached me. HE HEARD MY REACTION. I was so embarrassed. He's a cool dude, though. From then on we were chummy whenever we were at the same tournament.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1