• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So I sorta got into the anime-manga business.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
A few years back I started doing factual proof-reading for the polish translation of the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, mostly militaristic jargon and the like, but ended up just doing the general corrections. It was thanks to the fact the head translator of the publishing house was 2 years ahead of me in my Japanese Department.

And thanks to that, I may have a shot at translating a few anime productions that are meant to be shown on polish TV. A few titles have been thrown around, but the one I am holding most hope for is Bleach. It would be really amazing to be the more active part of the fan scene, here and now.

But that is about as glamorous as the "industry experience" will ever get. There is basically no money here from the proof readings and I would need to bury myself with work to make a living off anime translations, but hey, maybe it will work out.

Baby steps.

Just wanted to share this, I guess. You know, the industry is alive in other countries and we all have our hopes and dreams attached to it, dreams which are same as in 'Merica, usually brought down to earth by the cold realities of the economy.

[EDIT: Even if it is anime-related, advertising links as quasi-signatures are not allowed. - Key]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I for one hope you can accomplish something in Poland. Getting a show like Bleach would be pretty sweet. Nice, long show if you could work on it.

Interesting that there might be a TV showing for something you could work on. Are there anime on Polish TV now or would this be fairly new? Either way, it sounds great and hopefully the Polish anime fanbase can grow.

Does Poland have much in the way of domestic anime releases?
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
There is some anime on polish TV. And it started many decades ago, with Maya the Bee I believe, then we got, via Italy, such shows like Tiger Mask, Yattaman and the like, and the 90s were def an anime craze over here. Dragon Ball, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf`s Rain, and currently Naruto is creating a whole new fanbase. The situation ain`t bad.

As for anime releases, there are a few companies but from what I`ve learned they are not really raking it in. Pirating is still the prefered form of getting your japanese shows. Kinda sad...
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Does Poland have much in the way of domestic anime releases?

It depends.
There are 3 publishers who give out new titles regularly but one of them have horrible ones, second have interesting series but with awful release, third is focused on movies.
On TV
My provider:
Bleach-late in night on channel in basic option
Baccano -late, channel bought optionally rather expensive
Honey and Clover, Blue Gender, FMA, Salyers, Death Note, Chrno Crusade Cowboy Bebop -channel bought optionally, but rather cheap. All with subs, but they often appear randomly.
And ofc. Pucca and Pokemon on cartoon channel.

My wish?
10 years ago was announced Lady Oscar manga. Announnced
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1