• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto GN 42-44

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katawe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Yep, for sure, Naruto is my favorite manga, and one of the best stories I've ever experienced.

Kishimoto is a true genius.

Are you serious?

No, I am not mocking you or anything, it's just that from my experience on most sites on the internet, it is very rare to find anyone who is more than mildly appreciative of the series as a whole. So your comments, with their extreme praise, caught me off guard.

I've been an anime fan for seven years (ten if you count Pokemon). I have seen (and loved!) all the episodes of Axis Powers Hetalia so far. I own a T-shirt from my college's anime club. I have been to Akihabara.

I also almost cried at the end of Naruto volume 43, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

No matter who you are, you won't like every TV show/movie/book/manga series you read. In fact, you'll probably think most of them are crap. Everyone does. It's hard enough to find something you enjoy as it is; if you start taking the opinions of random strangers into account, you'll never watch anything. I find it funny that people will go out of their way to fit in with the group when they're already ANIME FANS. Rolling Eyes
[/soapbox]

As far as the whole Itachi thing goes, spoiler[I thought it really helped the series. Itachi's motives were really lame and generic before. This way it's kind of reasonable, plus we get the heart-rippingly sad remix of Sasuke's generic angst flashbacks. ]

Quote:
...a bizarrely hip-talking Eight Tails.

Indeed! I've been importing the GNs from Japan(read manga AND practice Japanese=win), and every time that guy opens his mouth, about five puns go straight over my head.

I can't wait for volume 46 to come out over there so I can complain about how volume 47 isn't out yet. I've seen pictures... Shocked

Last edited by Katawe on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Katawe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Slow browser is slow. Look away! Look away!
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Most folks wont read a manga this long from its inception to its climax. Why? Because that will take many, many years. It's already been 10 years and Naruto may only be halfway by some predictions.

So it doesn't surprise me when someone stops reading a manga. Something will bore them, or anger them, and they'll phase out either to never read it or wait till its over (Like Inuyasha). Meanwhile, someone new will come to the series and burn through this stuff with amazing consumption. The parts that annoyed us for weeks, would be but passing trifles. And death is a natural element in all adventure stories, sometimes it captures characters we care for. Kishimoto has had enough time with these characters that he can brave a story without them.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
For Naruto, or against Naruto, we can all equally agree

spoiler[... That we will never even comprehend a fraction of Sasuke's hatred]

Laughing
ankoku22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

It's Naruto that's ruined Narutofor me. He's the worst character in the whole series, and the fact that right after spoiler[Kakashi, my favorite character, is KILLED] we just cut back to Naruto training with frogs (seriously?) so he can yet again power-up miraculously...like I said, I'm bitter. Once you've stopped liking the main character, there's no point in continuing a series.

I'm hoping this "power up" is the last one we're going to get, but it was necessary to get him to Jiraiya's level. He had to get to his sensei's level at some point, and this is a shonen series. But to each their own, I'm still loving Naruto, and he's really starting to mature... as much as Naruto can mature.

But on spoiler[Kakashi, it's not confirmed yet he's dead. It's insinuated, but I have my fingers crossed.]

My friends who've read further on in the manga online say that it's been confirmed.

Well, they made a mistake. In fact, it was left deliberately vague in a summery before a fairly recent chapter, spoiler[which described some of the events leading up and during the whole Pain fight, and confirmed the death of one character, but listed Kakashi as "out of chakra" rather than dead or alive.]

I don't think that spoiler[Kakashi is dead, either.] When I read the scene where spoiler[he started "talking" with his father's spirit, who then asked for his son to "tell him the whole story" about his past, or something to that effect], I assumed it was Kishimoto's way of finally making a place for the animators (when the time comes for it) to insert a certain, manga-exclusive flashblack story that hasn't been animated yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but the anime does go into further detail on certain events that the manga barely touches upon. spoiler[Tenten vs. Temari, Team Guy's fights with the clones of themselves, and the three-tailed beast "filler" arc] are examples I can point to.

Besides, based on Kishimoto's writing style, spoiler[a character as important as Kakashi would definitely have received a greater death scene than that.]
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Personally, I was SO disappointed in the Itachi vs. Sasuke fight, and I partially blame Kishimoto's art. It's bad enough that his character designs are bland, but he has a hard time making an action scene exciting too. It really should have been one of the top fights of the series (it's been hyped since the series began practically), but he just dropped the ball entirely. It was just...boring. I can't even go into detail about why it was boring, it just was. Some parts were drawn confusingly, and some were just drawn so plainly. I think the intended effect will come out in animated form however, but Kishimoto himself just couldn't deliver. Not to mention Itachi dying out of nowhere. I did like that one bit at the end when it looked like Itachi was going for Sasuke's eye but instead did the little forehead tap. I thought it was a genuinely sweet moment. Everytime he had gone for his eye before that, I was expecting him to tap his forehead. Overall, I was seriously shocked at how lame the whole thing turned out to be.

The Jiraiya fight was done better though. Even though it did drag a bit, and even though I knew he was going to die, it was still a really tense fight. When you've been spoiled about a character's death and yet you still secretly hope he'll make it out of the fight alive, that's a sign that you're pretty absorbed in the storyline.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Most folks wont read a manga this long from its inception to its climax. Why? Because that will take many, many years. It's already been 10 years and Naruto may only be halfway by some predictions.

Those predictions are insanely off. Almost everyone is predicting Naruto will conclude in 2-3 years. Being only halfway done isn't even really possible at this point.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Funny that you end on the note you did, because this is the beginning of the part of the manga that made me quit in disgust over some of the plot decisions Kishimoto made. Once he started killing off the best characters and spoiler[retconning Itachi into a hero], I basically said, "Screw this, I have better things to read." Which stinks, because I'd liked part 2 so much more than part 1 until this point.

How could you... Not know that?

spoiler[The series made it pretty damn obvious that he wasn't exactly a villain. Use a little common sense, dude.]

But I agree with you Part 1 is no where near as good as Part 2.
Adacus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Clearly out of no where? I don't think so. Fangirls have been latching onto all these little "hints" for years now that Itachi isn't as "evil" as we've been led on to believe. The childhood flashbacks of Itachi we got early on, outside of the massacre, were always rather loving. It didn't make SENSE, and we were obviously missing a giant piece of the puzzle. Itachi didn't just snap one day and decide to kill his whole clan for nothing and just leave his little brother alive. Kishimoto has throughout the series showed a rather good understanding of psychology, and to have a character just killing to kill would have made the character not on par with the rest of the series.

Poor renditions of the 'sympathetic antagonist' cliche

Quote:
Shonen manga usually suffers from lack of depth to their villains. You have some big bad psychopathic bad guy the hero has to go up against, and all he (the villain) wants is to kill, or gather power of some kind. It's a shallow plot device used to death in fighting manga, but Kishimoto is brilliant because he gives humanity to a lot of his "villians" so much in fact that at times you don't even know if he's evil or not anymore. Garaa is a perfect example of this, and now Itachi has joined the ranks making him for a while one of the most complex characters in the series. Kishimoto gave humanity to the monster, and it only made the story even better. It doesn't justify his actions, but it explains them.

Rerouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho etc. Many shonen have done this. And have done it much better. Hell, even Mr. Freeze form Batman the animated series, who is a tragic figure cliche as well was done better than any tragic figure that Kishi had put out on his table .

Quote:
Naruto is really the only manga I'm left reading at the moment with the occasional one shot volume here and there, and I'm a huge reader, particularly in the fantasy genre. Naruto gives me everything I could want in a fantasy story, and more: Classic archetypes, twists, backstabbing, a slight touch of romance, and a large variety of characters, all great ingredients for a great story. Plus, again, it’s EPIC. Kishimoto has weaved a modern heroic tale in the vein of old mythology highlighting the best and worst of humanity.

.........Convoluted twists, incoherent play on tired archetypes, overuse of a dying characterization. Poorly handled emotion conveying is considered the 'Highlighting of the worst of Humanity and good of Humanity'?

Quote:
]But like I mentioned earlier, which is also the reason I think Naruto is so successful is Kishimoto’s use of psychology. He’s used it so well to give all his characters depth and character development that I sort of think of Naruto as shonen manga’s answer to Fruits Basket. He has developed an insanely huge cast, and yet has somehow managed to make each and every one of them so interesting to the point that I really don’t care when it veers off from Naruto or Sasuke, and that when one of the supporting side characters suddenly get a chapter that progresses that character’s development that suddenly I find myself so touched by what we’ve just learned that I have new favorite character. To say the characters are shallow shows that either you haven't been paying attention, or just haven't gotten to the chapters that focus on the character.

What? Why you prasing a sudden, poorly constructed, development through dangled side-characters that will never have a true purpose in the story again. A poorly portrayed debacle that should have been protrayed of the course of the story? Its Kishi's attempt to add artificial emotion to a plain lifeless attack on a fictional village.

Quote:
Yep, here’s another person not afraid to call Kishimoto a genius. The current story is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, and now is getting even more interesting with pulling philosophy into the limelight while also not pulling the punches on several characters. Naruto has had its low points,(I consider the Chuunin arc as the lowest point in the series), but Naruto in my opinion is currently in its prime at and I find myself eagerly awaiting the Thursdays/Fridays when the next chapter is released.

Philosophy? That cliched. Preachy, Philosophy, that can't hold any weight without the exaggerated, repetitious bears of angst. Many shounen has done this philosophical stuff before, and without feeling too preachy. Pain is a metaphor for how bad part two is.

The chunin exams is the highest point in Naruto. It represented Naruto. At least its ideal vision. A decent character drama with semi realism within the frame of its world. Political intrigue was smartly tact on, execution was done masterfully, sense of of theme within its self, sense of of a bigger plot. Themes utilized and expressed through side- characters.

There were some flaws. Character conversation was a bit artificial, and forced. Kishi needed to show more conversation dynamics between the three main other than discussing about techniques in order to build some tangibility.....All and all it was descent. It was good. Itachi being a sympathetic case was in light ever since he was first mentioned.....Anyone who failed noticed. Is kinda......
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
This was rated higher than Haruhi Suzumiya novel 1 and Death Note vol 12? Wow, ANN needs new reviewers.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Adacus wrote:
Poor renditions of the 'sympathetic antagonist' cliche.

I’m assuming you mean in your opinion Kishimoto did a poor job of pulling off the "sympathetic antagonist“, not really something I'd call Itachi to begin with. I thought I did a good job explaining why I thought Kishimoto did a good job with Itachi, maybe you should explain why you think his attempt was a "poor rendition". At least go into more detail so I can see where you're coming from.

Adacus wrote:
Rerouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho etc. Many shonen have done this. And have done it much better. Hell, even Mr. Freeze form Batman the animated series, who is a tragic figure cliche as well was done better than any tragic figure that Kishi had put out on his table .

First I said usually, and if we must, sure, make a new thread so we can dissect each and every bad guy personality in popular shonen manga. Bleach in particular was what I was thinking of when I made that statement, and it's what made me finally stop reading a manga I started out loving. Just listing a random series title doesn’t help with your point much unless you get specific in detail because those comics never held my attention enough to apparently understand what characters you mean. Please explain WHY those series did a better job, just don’t state your opinion without backing it up. It's just polite seeing I already did so.

Second: Batman the animated series wasn’t an anime, and it’s one of the few American cartoons that had fantastic writers backing it up, so of course Mr. Freeze was brilliant. Saying "heck, even that Batman cartoon did better" doesn't do much for me when I happen to think that Batman Cartoon is one of the best animated series ever to hit television, American or worldwide. Heart of Ice, the episode Mr. Freeze's character revamp was introduced into the new series under won an Emmy for Christ’s sake. I still get chills whenever I watch the episode, but saying that, I still got chills with the final revelations concerning Itachi and his showdown with Sasuke.

Adacus wrote:
.........Convoluted twists, incoherent play on tired archetypes, overuse of a dying characterization. Poorly handled emotion conveying is considered the 'Highlighting of the worst of Humanity and good of Humanity'?

Oi, I don't even know where to start here. I’m not quite sure what you mean by “dying characterization”, and I think “convoluted twists” is sort a redundant statement that could also work as a compliment in Naruto’s case, but I don’t think you were complimenting it. So please go into what you were trying to express more to make yourself better understood. And I'm sorry, but I have yet to see anything "incoherent" on Kishimoto's use of archetypes, and the fact that up til now you continued to call them cliche'... Humanity hasn't tired of archetypes in their stories since the dawn of humanity, and I don't think they're going to tire of it in the next couple days. Every character in pretty much any story you come up with can be linked to an archetype. Archetypes are not just a tool used by storytellers, archetypes are a necessity to a storytelling.

Besides that, what concerning emotion was poorly handled by Kishimoto? And you misunderstood me. While emotions do play a major role in bringing out the "humanity" aspect of Naruto, it's not just emotions I meant. It's the topics and themes Kishimoto picks, and the relationships the characters have with each other.

Adacus wrote:
What? Why you prasing a sudden, poorly constructed, development through dangled side-characters that will never have a true purpose in the story again. A poorly portrayed debacle that should have been protrayed of the course of the story? Its Kishi's attempt to add artificial emotion to a plain lifeless attack on a fictional village.

Well, let’s see. I’m praising it obviously because unlike you I don’t see poorly constructed development, nor do I see these characters never having a “true” purpose in the story again. The characters I had in mind when I made that statement are pretty much the Rookie 9, their sensei, as well as Jiraiya and Tsunade. Kishimoto hasn’t just introduced one and then thrown them away never to been seen again, they interact and help out Naruto often, and also help progress the story.

Besides that… “A poorly portrayed debacle that should have been protrayed of the course of the story? Its Kishi's attempt to add artificial emotion to a plain lifeless attack on a fictional village.” - …What? Again, you’re confusing me with what you’re trying to convey. Please, some of us have been exposed to English for a while, but your use of the language is apparently a level I have yet to encounter, and it’s just baffling me. For us not of similar minds, maybe you can use layman’s terms? I understand how your question has a connection to what I said in that paragraph, but you lost me after that. Something about how Kishimoto portrayed an attack on Konoha… and it being a fictional village which we’re all aware of ... that’s all I got.

Adacus wrote:
Philosophy? That cliched. Preachy, Philosophy, that can't hold any weight without the exaggerated, repetitious bears of angst. Many shounen has done this philosophical stuff before, and without feeling too preachy. Pain is a metaphor for how bad part two is.

Philosophy is cliché’ now too is it? Gods now, don’t I absolutely HATE being connected to or interested in anything so commonplace! Let me go inform my philosophy professor the news so that he can go and find another job, and then we can all just… live the moment and not contemplate on anything, or think about the cause of actions. That sounds like a gleefully unexciting, boring, safe, unquestioning existence. Oh boy, I can’t wait.

And I'm not saying philosophy in comics is a unique concept with Naruto. Far from it. For me to LIKE a comic usually implies it's heavy in philosophy. I love comics that make you think and make parallels to real life, and Naruto has philosophy dripping from it's imaginary pores while it parades itself as a comic for children. Sure, you have the obvious points of it with Pain, like you mentioned, with the typical ethics, and it does seem a bit preachy at times, but I've never been one to skirt from someone trying to teach me something. Even so, what I like on top of that is that is Kishimoto has also been infusing Buddhist philosophy from volume 1, as well as elemental and natural balance, especially as of lately with the frogs.

Adacus wrote:
The chunin exams is the highest point in Naruto. It represented Naruto. At least its ideal vision. A decent character drama with semi realism within the frame of its world. Political intrigue was smartly tact on, execution was done masterfully, sense of of theme within its self, sense of of a bigger plot. Themes utilized and expressed through side- characters.

And here I thought you said the side-characters were all pointless and useless? Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Anyway, all I got out of the Chunin exams was one mindless fight after another. It was dull, boring, with no story really to help support it, and really bugged the patience of one reading the comic for story instead of OMFG awesome fight scenes between pre-teen ninjas. Semi-realism? In the Forest of Death with curse marks and a boring as hell tournament? But oh, putting in a plot to kill the Hokage makes it all better! Yet Akatsuki, the Ninja wars, and the current attack on Konoha don’t speak of realism and politics? Please. There’s politics in most every story line that has popped up in Naruto. These are little villages going up against other little villages, with secret organizations out to to interfere with these little village wars. It is all politics. Try looking at the other arcs of Naruto with as much of an attempt you made with the Chuunin arc and maybe you’d surprise yourself with what you missed by not paying attention.[/quote]

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
This was rated higher than Haruhi Suzumiya novel 1 and Death Note vol 12? Wow, ANN needs new reviewers.

I think we need new forum users, personally.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Neutral
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Heh, usually it's the negative reviews at ANN that get complaints, at least that's usually the case in the threads I read. But I should have known that if any series could draw ire for getting a positive review, it would be Naruto.

Yah, this got a good review, but keep in mind people, this is a review for some specific volumes of Naruto, not the series as a whole. Naruto may be somewhat inconsistent, but when it reaches its high points, it is really, really good.

That said, I don't even fully agree with the score it got, but even so, I can understand it. Had I enjoyed the Jirayia-Pain fight more I'd have viewed this part of the series higher than I do.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Listen! What's that rumbling noise I hear? Looks like a herd of /a/ stampeding over the ridge! Run for your lives!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5