• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Hip Hop and Rap

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This is suppose to be a general discussion on the hip hop and rap scene in Japan.

After watching Samurai Champloo I became obsessed with the OST. This has led me to discover some amazing artists in Japan. Artist like Nujades, Shing 02, Fat Jon, Nomak, ext. I have to say that I'm shocked by the large amount of hip hop talent in Japan. Even here in America it's hard for me to find good hip hop. Most of the mainstream stuff here is awful (aside from Kanye West, Outkast, Gnarls Barkley, ext.) I usually have to look at underground artists. But Japan has no shortage of talented hip hop and rap artists. I'd have to say that my favorite is Shing02. I just can't get enough of his works. For those of you who don't know he was the artist who worked with Nujades on "Battle Cry". A lot of his songs are like love songs. Listening to songs like "Luv (sic)" (all the parts) and "Love You Like Water", you can't help but see his musical talent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
I like Halcali, although I'm not sure if they're really hip hop cause they can also be considered J-pop artists. Other hip hop/rap artists I've heard of are Zeebra (I like his single - Bushido) and Teriyaki Boyz (who actually collaborated with Pharell , Chris Brown and Kanye West before). Zeebra's really good, but I'm not sure if I like Teriyaki Boyz yet. I'm still listening to their other songs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
While I was in Japan I heard some hip-hop here and there, but I've forgotten about quite a few of them. The ones that have really stuck out for me that I remember have been Zeebra, his former group King Gidra, Dragon Ash, which for a time I had most of their albums, Rize, considered nu-metal but they still rap, and Ketsumeishi. Ketsumeishi has been interesting because they've been numbering all of their albums. The one that has stuck out the most for me has been Ketsunopolice 2. That one I think will always be dear to me for the themes presented in it.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah Zeebra is interesting, he's not quite my type but he's enjoyable. If you like him you should check out Buddha Brand. Same kind of style, but I think they're a bit smoother with the delivery. Here's a list of Japanese Hip Hop artists that I found on wiki. It could use some updating, but it's good for what it is.

By the way, I started to look into Ketsumeishi they're a pretty interesting group. But I'm enjoying them, I like "Train". Thanks for mentioning them.
Bdig85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
I don't listen to a lot of rap usually, but I like JRap. My favorites are LM.C and Orange Range. I love the rap/rock thing. Very Happy I also like female rappers because they seem to have better "flow", so to speak. I love Samurai Champloo too, which is where I first heard of Minmi. She has a few good songs, but I haven't heard much from her lately. I also like Soulhead. Their music is always fun.
Thefilmwall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Firstly i was see japanese Hip Hop and Rap.as i think ,that was really
good dance so i like it.I will learn this japanese Hip Hop and Rap after this month..........................
Johnny_Astro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Well I see that this is an old thread, but lemme just throw my two cents in.

M-flo. Enough said. In fact my screen name is inspired by this group.

The lead vocalist/rapper, VERBAL is also in the rap group Teriyaki Boyz, who you might remember did a song for Too Fast Too Furious: Tokyo Drift. Nigo, a member of the group founded the famous clothing line Bape.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
J-hip hop and J-rap is the only kind of rap/hip-hop I will ever like. The beats are fun and a fresh breath to Americans who are used to awful music by the likes of Kanye West and other overrated hip-hop/rap artists. Nujabes, Orange Range, Halcali, Minmi, nobodyknows+, and Home Made Kazoku are so nice to listen to. They're talking about friendship, love, heartache, and fun. It's much nicer than drugs, sex, and violence that's included in much of the rap/hip-hop in America.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tsubasa217

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
If you want to listen to some really good japanese hip hop. There are few artist you should get started on.

These artist have really good work it is all composed really well and has alot of meoldy.

m-flo(I really like the m-flo loves series)

dragon ash( greatful day one of japan's bigest rap anthams)

Cliff Edge( I love these guys) (There song "天上智喜(TENJOCHIKI)//CLIFF EDGE - HERE" is amazing)

Soulja("koko ni iru yo" one of the most popular japanese songs ever!)

Dohzi-T (one of japan biggest vetren rap artist with a really big single Dozhi-T feat. BENI - Mou Ichido)

And of course you can't for get WISE ( with one of my favoites "Tokutemo feat. Wise - Kana Nishino")

I hope this get you guys on your way to some good japanese hip hop that is more professional and less silly.
Rolling Eyes
manness

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
Hello, i m introducing me gigving my opinion. About music, always this classic, Chijiro
censored666

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Man, those Japanese are beating us black folk at our own game! I can't stand rap on this side of the world, but Jrap is in a completely different category. I love M-flo, Home Made Kazoku, Hali Cali, Minmi (Maybe she's more hip hop), and recently I just discovered the orgasmic, wonders of the ears known as the Nujabes. I can't even understand a lick of what they are saying, but their sound, sense of rythm, and how the words flow is just...Beautiful...
synn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
Never came across any good band playing Hip-hop and regge. Would like to know if any on youtube.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
I like the Teriyaki Boyz, Verbal and a guy I think is called Big O. There's a pop duo that's a female singer and a female rapper called Lil B that I like. I think those people/groups all have good delivery/cadence. My level of japanese means that at best I can pickup like 2-4 lines per verse so the sound of their voice, their delivery and how they ride the beat is all I can go by.

As far as production, I don't know much but I like the Nujabes when they do instrumental music. A friend let me hear a bunch of songs they produced for other people and the rappers and singers all sounded kinda wack imo and I didn't like it at all. When it's just beats, they're great though.
Kailey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Orange Range is My fav Japanese rap singer
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I am a big fan of Seamo. He has such a distinct voice and his vocals are great. I also give another vote to Home Made Kazoku. I have imported almost all of their albums and still find each refreshing and new.

And this is coming from a girl who loathes american rap/hip hop and almost goes into convulsions to change the radio station when its on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2