• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basquash! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
the first episode was fun, i like art style a lot.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
That first episode was great, loved the music art and the characters too. Don't know to much about the story but it looks like it could be very interesting.

Can't wait for the next episode this show is AWSOME!!
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I really need to comment on the OP.

It's...good and all but that's it...it's good. It's generic, it's j-popish. I was expecting something along the lines of Samurai Champloo since that's what I heard in all the promo commercials. But, then again, if I was to judge a whole series based on the theme song alone, I wouldn't exactly be a good fan would I. Anyway, it's good and it's something I would listen to each week but its somewhat generic (and kind of depressing to be honest)

It looks like its a completely different series like a fantasy or something. I still love the show itself though.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

....Interestingly, this series was originally the French animator Thomas Romain's project.... Right now it's being worked on as a co-production between Japan and France...

Funny you mention the French connection, because when I saw Basquash! I I was reminded of the french animated film Les Triplettes de Belleville. I know they're not connected, but it just kinda reminded me of it. I think its mostly due to the color pallets used (OK I'm no art major so if I used that word wrong don't sue me Razz ) It is one of the more impressively visual anime I have seen in some time. Good stuff.

But yeah this anime seems to be a bit crazy. Its soo over the top. And that's why I love it!

Last edited by David.Seth on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:

But yeah this anime seems to be a bit crazy. Its soo over the top. And that's why I love it though.

As we can tell from your avatar....which I can't stop looking at for some reason...
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode a lot. I will be following this one.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
First episode was pure, unadulterated fun. It's almost insultingly stupid, yes, but the fun factor and eye-popping visuals make up for the premise greatly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
^ Really? I thought it was an incredibly clever first episode. I think you're approaching the show in the wrong way.

To each his own, I guess.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
You know how a good portion of anime fans are. If the story's not "deep" then it's not worth anything
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:

Funny you mention the French connection, because when I saw Basquash! I I was reminded of the french animated film Les Triplettes de Belleville. I know they're not connected, but it just kinda reminded me of it.

Ugh, I still have nightmares from that awful, awful creepy piece of work.

Episode 2 is out, and it's high on the action and quality (hopefully they can remain this consistent throughout though I doubt it, so I think probably at some point the character designs are going to take a hit).

It was pretty good, we got introduced to Sela and it looks like next episode we're going to get to see Ice Man. I'm assuming at some point they'll form a team of some sort and perhaps compete in a tournament to reach the moon, but that means they'll need a fifth member, and that's assuming Miyuki will play.

As long as the show doesn't wallow in the depths of Dan's shallow misery over Coco and stays focused on the action, we're all good Cool

Also, I still really dig the ED. The OP was meh, but apparently that's not the finished product.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
While I don't think the 2nd ep was quite as good as the first ep, I definitely want to see more, so mission accomplished. Visuals are just as awesome. This time around I noticed that I liked the music more. I'm with rainbowcourage in that I found the OP "meh" and still find the ED awesome.

I do like how they started using the BFs as errand boys and didn't just rush right into a tourney. Also like the bill he got handed, most heroes get away with that sort of stuff with no problems. Did you ever see anyone hand Vegeta or Goku a bill? No, you didn't. Kamina sure didn't get one either.

But I like that they're starting to develop the characters more already and spoiler[Sela's] grand appearance and declaration as a main character in the process.
usagi_joou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Miyuki's boobs ruined my impression of this show Sad It's sad, really, because fast pace of the show and it's great backgrounds are very promising.

I didn't like Dan's character design but I could cope with that.
What I can't cope with - is obtrusive fanservice and a cliched plot. A rebellious shonen with disabled sister, childhood friend with damned big boobs, uber-fast and illogical mastering of mecha driving on a level far beyond ordinary...

And I'm really suspicious of that yellow-haired girl, who was selling some food on the stadium and who had an orgasm (sorry, an orgasm is an orgasm, let's call things by their proper names) when Dan showed off on his red mecha. She now sees Dan as inspiration and, obviously, has developed some feelings for him... which, counting Miyuki, brings us to a mini-HAREM!! --- Noooooo!! Mad Mad

Hey it's not Gurren Lagann. Gurren Lagann was not about cliches, but about archetypes. It was not so predictable. Famous Yoko's breast never outshined the plot, which was sharp, straightforward and original.

But I'm going to give this show another chance, because it's so beautifully made. I've got the second episode but I've got not too much hope left Crying or Very sad
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
About episode 2, I need to stop fangasming over this show and review it like a normal person but I haven't had this much fan with a show since....Gurren Lagann...I think?

Anyway, this was, what I thought was going to be a much slower episode compared to last week until that last five minutes of Dan vs. Sela (and I'm assuming Iceman is the one who crashed the party at the end) but I'm surprised at the realism of this show. And that's saying something about a show revolving around giant, car-designed CGI mecha who play streetball. There's actually repercussions to running wild through a stadium and destroying things. Who knew? And actually working to pay off your debt? My god, this is just insanity!

Also, Spanky just became my favorite character. Speaking of which, where do those guys get those talking, apparently also shape-shifting, animals anyway? I want one!

Hmm....using sandals to run with and a guy from the moon having company issues....Well, I have no idea where this could possibly be going

So, unlike what I originally thought, it seems that Miyuki and Sela not only know each other but are conspiring together too for something. I just hope that something isn't something that would screw Dan over later.

Ouch....Coco....that scene was painful.

Am I missing anything? Oh, yeah, this show is awesome (Between this, Eden of the East and FMA:B, I'm having a hard time deciding which is the blockbuster of the season)
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:02 am Reply with quote
usagi_joou wrote:
Miyuki's boobs ruined my impression of this show Sad It's sad, really, because fast pace of the show and it's great backgrounds are very promising.
But I'm going to give this show another chance, because it's so beautifully made. I've got the second episode but I've got not too much hope left Crying or Very sad

I felt the same way at first. Usually I am not a fan of fan service, but sometimes its not an issue depending on how its presented. While i cringe watching Today in Class 5-2, I have no problems with scenes like the opening of Elfen Lied or the finale of Ghost in the Shell. However, this show has too many positives to disregard it for that one annoying negative. Great characters, stunning animation, great ending theme, interesting concept > little bits of fan service. Give it at least 5 episodes. If it can't redeem itself in that amount of time, then get a move on to K-ON Very Happy (which I am also enjoying).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 2, now we know why The Legend wants to get to the moon. It's because he spoiler[wants to help his sister get her legs back because she was such a wonderful basketball player.] I don't think he'll ever be able to pay off the dept he has. It's just so much. Watching the EP a second time and I find the song to be very good, it's catchy I guess. I don't understand what happened to Miyuki though, there were parts about her and her family but I didn't really understand what happened.

Looking forward for the next one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12