• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Shippūden's Main English Dubbing Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
ani12 wrote:
Well, I hope it manages to get on some TV channel, preferably Cartoon Network, again. (Yes, I know some of you people are going to b*tch about the censorship, but just so you all know, it could be much, much worse. )

Couldn't agree with you more, ani. Even if CN has had issues and is far from a "perfect" means to showcase some more graphic anime or scenes therein, it's certainly done a bang-up job over the years as far as I'm concerned. Very Happy

Totally in agreement there.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
sanosuke32 wrote:
Why don't they just put the cast is returning Question Its funny that they don't put Yuri Lowenthal on there since Sasuke doesn't appear for so freakin' long. One of the reasons shonen pisses me off so much, yet I keep watching it, lol.

Err, spoiler[in the manga, yeah, it takes a long time, but in the anime he appears in the opening sequence of the first episode before they even roll the credits thanks to a quick leap forward in time.]

Emerje

So, he has like a few lines, that hardly counts as him being on the show. Even in Ultimate Ninja 4 they didn't include his new self because he was only on for 2 seconds.

And yes to whoever mentioned bout Yuri returning for Shippuden, he stated long ago that he was working on Shippuden.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Maile's Naruto has never really done it for me. Too grating.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
If by matured you mean she now does every line AS IF HE'S YELLING LIKE THIS. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF MOOD OR STATE OF MIND THE CHARACTER IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN then yes, she sure has matured a lot.

Maile Flanagan pretty much single-handedly ruins what is an otherwise excellent dub for a series of Naruto's type.

here we go Rolling Eyes

That sounds more like a description for 4Kids' Luffy from One Piece. Maile's Naruto definitely does not sound like he's yelling all the time, and the dub's "Sasuke!!!" yell does not make my ears bleed at least like the sub's version does.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
So, he has like a few lines, that hardly counts as him being on the show. Even in Ultimate Ninja 4 they didn't include his new self because he was only on for 2 seconds.

I guess you've forgotten. It's not a few lines, it's a lengthy segment spoiler[with him going on about friendship and power and ending with the part that takes place inside Naruto in front of the Kyuubi. It's far from 2 seconds. Rolling Eyes ]

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
If by matured you mean she now does every line AS IF HE'S YELLING LIKE THIS. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF MOOD OR STATE OF MIND THE CHARACTER IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN then yes, she sure has matured a lot.

Maile Flanagan pretty much single-handedly ruins what is an otherwise excellent dub for a series of Naruto's type.

here we go Rolling Eyes

That sounds more like a description for 4Kids' Luffy from One Piece. Maile's Naruto definitely does not sound like he's yelling all the time, and the dub's "Sasuke!!!" yell does not make my ears bleed at least like the sub's version does.
Actually, I agree that Naruto lacks subtlety in his delivery in the dub. I suppose that's the nature of his character though.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I entirely disagree with that. Maile did an awesome job with the solemn scenes in the show at the end of the Gaara fight for example, and with Neiji, etc.

I will agree that Maile has a grating voice, but I think that voice fits Naruto's character. It fits the way he acts and I can't think of anyone who would fit better in that role. I'd like anyone to tell me who should replace Maile in that role. (And I'm someone who typically does not like females voicing males. It really irritates me with the Japanese version of Kenshin & DBZ).
freezespell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the few of you that say that Maile Flannigan is just not suited to voice an older Naruto. They recast characters once they hit puberty for a reason. The Dragon Ball trilogy of dubs are three notable examples. The kid versions Goku and Gohan were voiced by Stephanie Nadolny until they grew up and they were voiced by Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert, respectively. Eric Vale voiced the teenage/adult version of Trunks while Laura Bailey voiced the younger. It's another move by Viz that makes little to no sense to me.

Let's recap:
Strike one: Viz leaves the title untranslated.
Strike two: Maile Flannigan returns to voice teenage Naruto? (Once I actually get a chance to listen to the older Naruto, this one may come off the board.)
Strike three: Who really knows?
ani12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
freezespell wrote:
I have to agree with the few of you that say that Maile Flannigan is just not suited to voice an older Naruto. They recast characters once they hit puberty for a reason. The Dragon Ball trilogy of dubs are three notable examples. The kid versions Goku and Gohan were voiced by Stephanie Nadolny until they grew up and they were voiced by Sean Schemmel and Kyle Hebert, respectively. Eric Vale voiced the teenage/adult version of Trunks while Laura Bailey voiced the younger. It's another move by Viz that makes little to no sense to me.

Let's recap:
Strike one: Viz leaves the title untranslated.
Strike two: Maile Flannigan returns to voice teenage Naruto? (Once I actually get a chance to listen to the older Naruto, this one may come off the board.)
Strike three: Who really knows?

1) Is that really a problem? I guess if they did translate it, the nutcase fans would, well, go nuts because it would be called "Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles", not "Naruto Shippuden." I guess there are people on the other end of the argument as well. (not the going crazy part, apperently, though.)

2)Well, it makes his voice sound consistent(spellcheck), plus, throwing a new voice actor into the role may cause him to sound very akward since he/she would not be used to voicing the character like she is.

3)Not sure how to reply to that ^^;
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
MetatronM wrote:

here we go :roll:

It was only a matter of time. Something tells me this arguement won't end on a cheerful note.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Stephanie Nadolny's vocal qualities are nothing like Maile Flannigan. For the first couple of years I watched Naruto I had no idea he was voiced by a woman. With Gohan, I knew from the beginning, and it's not that Stephanie did a bad job but it's easy to pickup on this once you are familiar with the VAs. Besides, Gohan was significantly younger than Naruto. Same goes for kid Trunks, and Laura Bailey is very versatile, but I can still tell she isn't a male when she talks.

I think any other person but Maile couldn't pull off her vocal quality, and so they would be strikingly different.

Also, be honest people, are those of you arguing for a replacement for Naruto's VA really people who like the dub now or are you arguing for her replacement because you hated her voice before? I admit, I had to develop an appreciation for Naruto's voice, but I developed it based on my appreciation for the character. Maile's voice just fits Naruto, and I personally can't see/hear anyone else in that role. Maile is perhaps one of the primary reasons I like the show as much as I do, honestly.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
In the Japanese dub the voices changed only slightly between the two time periods, we're only talking 2 1/2 years here. Dragonball isn't comparable because most of the time jumps cover several years, not a couple.

I don't see where anyone could do a more perfect job that Maile, she really nails every one of Naruto's quirks and nuances. I've heard Richard Cox come up before (not just in this topic), but the guy only does variations on one type of voice, brash and cocky, which doesn't fit Naruto's naive and childish nature at all.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
2)Well, it makes his voice sound consistent(spellcheck), plus, throwing a new voice actor into the role may cause him to sound very akward since he/she would not be used to voicing the character like she is.

In the Japanese version, there's a huge difference between 13 year old Naruto's voice and 16 year old Naruto's voice (all the more apparent in episodes with flashbacks). I have my doubts that she'll have the range to pull off such a difference.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
She doesn't have to. The English dub isn't supposed to mirror the Japanese in every way, and not every 13 year old sounds drastically different at 16.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
She doesn't have to. The English dub isn't supposed to mirror the Japanese in every way, and not every 13 year old sounds drastically different at 16.

Considering the rest of the kids have been sounding like adults since the first series, it will be all the more jarring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5