• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Are the Top 5 anime titles on your wish list?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
Or, put another way, which 5 titles do you think you'll be getting next? I'll accept multiple seasons of the same series as a single title. Here are mine in no particular order:

Black Lagoon / Black Lagoon: Second Barrage - I try as much as possible not to know too much about the plot of a series beforehand, but I understand this one involves pirates. The animation looks cool and there seems to be a kickass chick in Daisy Duke cutoff jean shorts and black poptop. I'm there. Also, this is by Madhouse, so it's got to be cool.

Desert Punk - I like the look of the animation and a line from the summary cracked me up: "He's severely height-challenged and a sucker for a massive set of hooters." Gonzo knows what I want.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - This seems to be getting ecstatic reviews. I read the Count of Monte Cristo a few years ago and I'm quite eager to see the anime treatment of the story.

Gilgamesh - I like the idea that this uses Babylonian myths for its inspiration. Sounds like it will be one of those series that is drenched in mystery.

Last Exile - Airplanes. 'Nuff said.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
I can't have a true wist list, I'll go broke. Laughing

TRSI is the 2nd biggest factor in deciding all my future anime purchases (the first, of course, being my paycheck.) I wait for the newest studio sale. I buy any new releases from any series I'm in process of collecting first. If there are none, depending on my finances at the time, I'll browse for anything I might have 'forgotten' about, skip new anime for that paycheck, or hop over to Amazon to check my VHS wish list (the only one I really bother with, since it's too hard to keep track of the old video anime otherwise.)

If anything, Stratos 4 is on my 'wish list'... but only for the ridculously weak tie to Yukikaze (which I adored, much to my surprise.) Whether or not I buy it before I forget about it remains to be seen...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
I struggled over whether to put this thread in Retail or in the regular anime forum. I decided to put in retail because it is more or less designed to determine what people are most likely to buy next. However, I don't think anybody would object if people used this as "imagine I got a windfall and could buy five titles instantly" sort of thread either.

So with that in mind, I think people should post what their choices would be even if in RL there isn't the cash right at this very second to pay for them.

I myself have put a condition on future purchases. I'm waiting until I get my order from RightStuf (which should be sometime this week, hopefully) plus paying off what I've got on the credit card I use for online purchases before getting anything new.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
http://doctordoom85.dvdaf.com/wish-list

Yes, it's quite big, and these are only that have been released or have a set release date. Anime smile + sweatdrop Anyway, for R1 releases/future releases, my top 5 most wanted are:

1. Cardcaptor Sakura - mainly because it's impossible to find for a reasonable price, so Funi license rescuing it is probably our only hope

2. Evangelion 1.01 - as a huge Eva fan, I can't wait to see this version, the trailer made it look amazing

3. Soul Eater - one of the few series I watched via fansubs last/this year, it was an excellent shonen adaptation by BONES (my favorite studio), so eagerly anticipating the DVDs

4. Eureka Seven - One of my favorite mecha anime. I waited patiently for a boxset (I don't mind singles, but I'd want all the LEs if I started buying them, and with 12 volumes that's too pricy for me)

5. Baccano - I loved Vol. 1, and can't wait for Vol. 2 to arrive in the mail, as well as the remaining two to be released
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
After my spending sprees the last couple of months (which I've chronicled in the What Did You Just Buy thread), I think I've got myself stocked up well enough to not really be able to think of much more I could want other than maybe announced stuff without release dates yet.

Seto no Hanayome - Quite simply the funniest anime I've seen in a long time. Other than 3-4 dud episodes it was solid the entire way through. Pre-ordering as soon as I can, but not expecting it until the end of the year from Funimation :\

Romeo X Juliet - Regardless of how far removed it is from the original, I always enjoy a re-telling of this story no matter what, so I'll take the plunge. Again, pre-ordering on day one.

Shangri-La - Technically not really coming out here in any physical manner, but I do intend to make this one my first foray into the world of pay-to-own digital downloads just to see what all the hub-bub is or isn't about.

(wait...that's all GONZO....huh...)

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - No reason I really shouldn't have bought this already, but so many distractions. So, so many distractions.

Tenchi Movie 2 and Tenchi Forever - The final pieces of the puzzle to complete my Tenchi collection and finally have everything I owned on VHS on DVD.
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
Tenchi Movie 2 and Tenchi Forever - The final pieces of the puzzle to complete my Tenchi collection and finally have everything I owned on VHS on DVD.

The Tenchi movie trilogy (includes English audio and subtitles) comes out on Blu-ray tomorrow in Japan, and the OVAs were announced at TAF for Blu-ray starting in September. Now you can start collecting all over again!
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Polly E. wrote:

The Tenchi movie trilogy (includes English audio and subtitles) comes out on Blu-ray tomorrow in Japan, and the OVAs were announced at TAF for Blu-ray starting in September. Now you can start collecting all over again!

Yeah, I heard about that one a tad too late, but I've imposed a rule on myself that there's no need to go through upgrading my entire DVD collection (wasn't just Tenchi from VHS) to Blu-Ray when I finally make the jump to it. I'll just continue building my collection on the new format from wherever I leave off with DVDs.

I hope I can stick to that anyway...
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
my wish lists are always a mess, I'll remember them when I see the titles, but not otherwise usually. But I can remember a few right now:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I got the first part during the best buy sale, but i want the other two parts! I wouldn't be upset if i got the 2nd one non LE, but i must get the 3rd one LE, soundtracks are one of my favorite bonuses with anything.

Maison Ikkuoku falls pretty low on my list simply because I have all the manga and the dvds are unfairly expensive. But I've heard that they changed some things that I'd be curious to see (and they took out Nozomi Nikaido, who moved into the long empty room 2 in the manga, but didn't really do much storywise after his fights with Yotsuya were over). Also, it's just overly expensive to get, maybe we could petition Viz (i think, or whoever) to re-release them like they did with their Ranma 1/2 sets last year or so.

Cowboy Bebop remix legends set. I haven't seen this show since [adult swim] stopped showing it, i'm a tad fearful that, because i kinda did get sick of it being shown all the time, that i might not get the feeling of "awesome!" that i did back when it was first airing and i might get the "darn, another repeat!" feeling i got towards the end. Obviously the latter would be a crushing blow, so i've been holding off on it for a while, seems Bandai should be be milking it for the next few years, so i have some time.

Kino's Journey is totally one of those things i've been meaning to get but just haven't and i kinda totally lust for it. I know about the re-release, but the cover is sooo ugly it makes me not want it.

Kimba the White Lion mega set. I'm hesitant because it's English dub only though, but man, i love Tezuka!

I've been considering Kaleido Star for a while, it always gets good reviews and my understanding is that several of the characters are extremely skilled jugglers. It's one of those things I look at every time i go into Best Buy.

Lastly: The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Yes, TRSI's recent re-release of it is very likely to make me be able to get it now, and there's also the OVA to get I think...yeah, i'm not entirely sure how much different Tylor stuff there is to get either, but I could get the TV show at this point for pretty cheap.

For manga: Astro Boy vol 13-23, I have the first 12 volumes (because I got 8 of them @ a used book store for $3 each) but I want the last volumes not for completionist's sake, but because I enjoyed the first 12 volumes enough to want the rest. And maybe things will make more sense once I've read them all, with many heartfelt "thanks" to whomever decided to put the stories out of order! yes, connecting parts were all together, but then in volume 2 we see Cobalt before he's introduced in vol 9 or something and I had to double take and go "who...wait, what?" when I first saw him. But i still want the rest, I plan for it to be the order-padding-to-avoid-S&H-costs priority next i order from TRSI.
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This is easy, due to RightStuf's lack of a Media Blasters sale in... forever? This is one sale I've been waiting for to make a big purchase from, but no sale is in sight. Sad

1) Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan

There was a lot of talk about this back when it was licensed, and I loved it when I checked out the first episode online. I'm at the point where I might settle for the Weekly Special price which is only a buck or so more than it would be during a MB sale.

2) Magical Witch Punie-chan

This was recommended to me after liking Dokuro-chan, so naturally I have to pick this one up as well. I haven't previewed it online either, so it will be a total surprise.

3) Genshiken

This seems to be a widely enjoyed title, and in my experience when an anime (that isn't a stupid shonen fighting thing) is enjoyed by a large number of people there's a good reason for it- IE: Welcome to the NHK & Basilisk.

4) Simoun

I've been in a Yuri drought since lack of a MB sale, so I'll get this to fill the void. Still skeptical as to how much I'll actually like it since I prefer a more subdued slice of life Yuri anime.

5) Rumbling Hearts: Next Season

I can dream, can't I?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
my wish lists are always a mess

I think that goes for most people. If there are sales going on, one's spending schedule is always in a state of flux. Fortunately/unfortunately for me, this never applies.
My list:

1) Kanon Complete Collection

It won't be cheap, but since I currently hold this charming series as my favourite TV anime, I wouldn't consider myself a decent fan if I didn't have it on my shelf.

2) Air Complete Collection

From what I've heard of this I have a feeling I won't be disappointed. I've previewed a bit of it, but I think it's best I watch the rest in DVD quality.

3) Neo Tokyo

It's cheap and I like the directors involved. I'd have to buy this in a dual release along with New Fist of the North Star, but I've found it cheap online and I plan to give away or simply discard the latter.

4) Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato

I feel I need to watch some classic Matsumoto. I'm hoping that this film will be accessible to franchise newcomers, as everyone seems to hail it as a classic.

5) Patlabor OVA

It's out of print, but since I enjoy Oshii's works in general I'd like to be able to see the original and light-hearted side to the Patlabor franchise.

Other things I'm considering for the future are SDF Macross or possibly a random 80's Gundam show, but I haven't really looked into the options available within such a franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
1. Naruto Uncut Box Sets 3 and onward - It's obvious being a Narutard I want them, all right? =P
2. Ouran High School Host Club Parts 1 and 2 - I fell in love with this series after just three episodes, and then grew addicted after watching the entire first half on Funi's video portal. I want the entire series now. Anime hyper
3. FullMetal Alchemist Complete Collection Part 2 - The series rocks, I bought Part 1 at the BB 50% off sale, and just need the second part to complete the series. Then I shall be happy. ^^
4. Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid - I have the other two FMP series and love them, so I know I'll love TSR. Just I don't know if it'll be easier getting it in singles or in a boxset. XP
5. King of Bandits Jing in Seventh Heaven - I love the original series, and the OVA is sure to be just as good. And especially since it follows a part in the manga that the original series never did, which is just awesome.

Hopefully I'll be able to find one of these when I go to A-Cen this year, and if I don't and still have some money left over from the con, I'll go on RightStuf and buy one of them. =P
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Oh you'll love FMP: TSR raid, alright. I can tell you that confidently even though I've only seen the first two eppies. The villains this time around are much more interesting than in the first series.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
I have a few

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya : Complete Collection - Been looking at my local best buy's for this and it's been on the top of my list for a while

FLCL I have a rather lousy bootleg purchased a few years back I'd love to replace, one of my favorite series

Only Yesterday & My Neighbor Totoro - Two of my favorite movies.

xxxHolic : Complete Collection - Im a huge fan of this series.

Chrono Crusade Waiting for the new collection to be released.. Very Happy
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
NANA--Popped up on a distribution site. I've been waiting forever, especially since my fansubs dried up. I do hope Viz will translate all the freaking text messages that this anime has... they're infamous for not doing on screen translations.

The rest of Baccano--Love this series. Will be my last singles collection.

Gakuen Alice--a new manga discovery, and I'm totally looking forward to the anime. Plus TRSI does nice sets.

Big Windup--will probably buy this as it sounds good, but am waiting for Funi to stream a sub to make a final decision.
ClocktowerKyon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing: You know, the first series?

Ouran High School Host Club: Love the series

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (+ Kai) Boxset: Would love to have one

Lucky Star Boxset

xxxHolic Boxset
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2