• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Konnichiwa, Zetsubou-sensei

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NearlyMello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the Pluto review was good, despite the fact that it's a pretty low-key volume compared to what happens later. I personally found the North 2 storyline kind of quaint, it was the real low point of the volume for me, and as I've read it before I really only just skimmed it when I got the Viz translation. After the first volume, though, all it does is get better in my eyes, so I'm really excited to see what everyone else thinks of it. Very Happy All the World's Strongest Robots are so cool!
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Pluto Vol. 1 was awesome and very interesting. I agree with the review, but I don't agree with the part where Gesicht meets Brau 1589. That was my favorite chapter of the book where it brought some neat tension and slight nervousness when I saw the robot. I hope to see him more in the future, if not just a simple cameo.

I liked the review on Hayate the Combat Butler. It's one of my favorite comedy mangas since School Rumble is releasing at horribly slow rate now. ( 12 comes in April and 13 comes in September! What's with that?!).
hypersoda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I personally, really liked Jihai (and so did most of my friends), but to each their own I guess. Then again, I'm the person that will find something to like out of the most hated mangas though...(like I liked Heaven's Will quite a bit when an in-depth review gave it like a D or something)
konkonsn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...most of the girls in Haruo's life are his sisters, which pretty much erases their romantic potential...

Since when? Very Happy Sorry, .hack//Twilight erased any hope I had for harem boundaries.

I've heard...things about Zetsubo Sensei...I think I will pick it up.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
As usual, my manga tastes are a complete 180 from Carlo.

HayatexBlade is by far the best action/comedy I'm reading right now. With the sheer energy of "No Logic can defeat our purpose!" and Yuri moments like "Can you stick your ring-thingy in my hole?"; there's nothing else like it right now.

And Zetsubou-sensei, while serviceable, just doesn't connect with me as well as the anime did. There's just something about this type of comedy in animated/spoken form that makes it that much better.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
So I thought Zetsuou would be more hilarious, but it's more hit-and-miss than I expected, and feels sort of like a Negima spoof at times. But I applaud Del Rey for taking a chance on it, considering the comedy is more Japan-centric than in other titles. And since it's not low-key humour like Excel Saga, I might give at least another volume a whirl.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Pluto- Seemed pretty generic at first but the North 2 storyline really grabbed my attention.
Zetsubou- I gave up the anime after a couple of episodes, the humor was far too Japan-centric for me to understand without pausing every other second to read translation notes. But somehow the manga worked for me. I'm about half way through and love it so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Pluto- Seemed pretty generic at first but the North 2 storyline really grabbed my attention.
Zetsubou- I gave up the anime after a couple of episodes, the humor was far too Japan-centric for me to understand without pausing every other second to read translation notes. But somehow the manga worked for me. I'm about half way through and love it so far.

Probably because of a fairly weak translation and joke localizations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2