• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournaments: Voting Closed.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jinxso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I would appreciate if people just checked my spreadsheet to make sure that I got their vote/vote change down correctly. It's faster and easier than me doing it myself. And you never know, you could spot a mistake that I couldn't see.

You have "2" first choices set down for me. Just to repeat my previous vote:

1: Best Hero/Heroine

2: Best Supporting Character
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
voting chart image

You have my choices backwards. Badass was my first choice, and then supporting actor. Unless those numbers mean points.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
voting chart image

You have my choices backwards. Badass was my first choice, and then supporting actor. Unless those numbers mean points.

The numbers not the positions/ranks, but the allotted point values so the spreadsheeting program can add the collective points in each column for a total at the bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
voting chart image

You have my points correctly (since I struck out my rankings), but you have the points in Hero and Supporting, I switched Hero to Flawed.

Thanks for making the spreadsheet though, makes everything so much easier to look at!

Nominations for whatever category start soon!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
The numbers not the positions/ranks, but the allotted point values so the spreadsheeting program can add the collective points in each column for a total at the bottom.

This is correct. The numbers indicate points to make it simple to tally. Your first choice will be a "2", your second choice will be a "1", and if you leave them unranked they will both be "1".

To Jinxso and classicalzawa, thankyou for your assistance. Those are mistakes that would have taken me quite a while to notice. But everyone knows how they voted, which means they know if any mistakes were made with the spreadsheet regarding their own votes.

classicalzawa wrote:
Thanks for making the spreadsheet though, makes everything so much easier to look at!

Cheers. Thankyou for helping me with my spreadsheet.
teekay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Glad I caught this before voting ended. Here are my choices:

1st: Best Supporting Character
2nd: Biggest Badass
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Best Supporting Character leads by a single vote over Best Hero/Heroine. With less than 3 hours to go, either choice can easily still win. A tie is also a possibility, but I guess we will deal with that if that occurs.

Though I am fine with either option, I do share BES Null Core's concern that the Best Supporting Character may be a bit too broad, unlike all of the other options, characters are eligible only by their status as minor character and not by a particular character trait.

Please remember, that the Best Hero/Heroine tournament is looking for heroes in the traditional sense of the word -- good characters who are worthy of respect and honor. These characters may either be noble in actions or ideals, whether it be through altruism, kindness or some other means. Hero is not synonymous with protagonist by a long shot; this is a tournament where evil characters need not apply.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
May I make another suggestion? This is the first tournament that I am participating in, so I am unsure how things have gone in the past. It seems though that there is a good amount of redundancy - which can lead to confusion and take up excess time. What I mean is, all commentary should be left to the first stage. Once voting starts, it doesn't seem to be much use to repeat what was or should have been stated during the "brainstorming" stage. This is what I would suggest:

First Stage:
People should be brainstorming for ideas, discussing suggestions that have been made by others, make their suggestions and provide their reasons why they think a particular tournament topic will or will not work.

Second Stage:
The top choices/options for voting are presented by Key (or suitable ANN employee?) with brief description of what each option would entail. This would include positives and negatives to selecting that option as suggested during the first stage (like Key did during this tournament).

Third Stage:
People place their votes - first choice and second choice. No need for additional commentary. This should have been done during the first stage. Also, be sure to vote carefully - there should be no changing of votes.

Fourth Stage:
Votes are tallied - tournament begins.

I know not everyone (or anyone Wink) may agree with this, but my preference is always to discuss first, vote next, and then move on. (A product of my work environment!)
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
Best Supporting Character leads by a single vote over Best Hero/Heroine. With less than 3 hours to go, either choice can easily still win. A tie is also a possibility, but I guess we will deal with that if that occurs.

Interesting. My spreadsheet might still have another mistake in it, since I get a 37-all tie. That's not to say I am wrong, only that I concede I might be. I wonder what figures Key has.

Anyway, it's been a very lively theme nominations process. Hopefully it will carry over and we get a lot of participation in the character nominations process.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
but my preference is always to discuss first, vote next, and then move on. (A product of my work environment!)

That's exactly what we did. You may not have noticed the thread until after the discussion stage ended however and the topic has been changed from what it was originally, to reflect what is currently happening in the thread.

There was about a week that was just people making suggestions and discussion those suggestions and whether they were viable or not. Then Key came up with the list to vote on, based on ideas that clearly had support. Then we started voting.

So essentially your model is the one we already have.

I'm definitely excited for this new tournament, as long as one of the two frontrunning topics wins. I can think of a number of characters for both that I would like to put forward in nominations.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
For the most part, yes... except for the fact that when voting on our top two choices, there was continued and repetitive conversations about why or why not a suggestion would work. My thought is that should cease when voting begins (selecting your first and second choice).
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
To prevent any last-minute funny business, I am locking all existing votes. New votes only will be allowed for the last 20 minutes, not changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
If I may add my two cents about vote changing, and the conduct of the last couple of tournaments, although it's probably been stressed already enough. But I feel that I should have my word on it. To be honest, I am not a big fan of vote changing. I have only done it once in my tournament voting history, but I have seen no need to do it. I participate in the tournaments because it's fun to watch these anime characters be pinned against one another, for the heck of it. But, as we have obviously seen within the past couple of tournaments they've gotten ugly, and one of those reasons I attribute to vote changing. Especially within the last tournament, where people were presenting their cases for and against characters as to why people should vote against them. It got repetitive, and extended to the point that I was not reading any of the arguers posts trying to convince me and other people why I should or should not vote for a certain character, or why I should change my vote.

The tournaments that were going on when I first got here were a lot more fun to read about and participate in. But when it gets to a point where people are really concentrating on a certain character because either they feel that the character should be the one to move on, or they feel that a certain character is not qualified to even be in the tournament. People start to harass each other, and conversation starts getting political, like liberals and conservatives going back and forth. Why does it have to be so complicated? Why can't it just be a simple and fun tournament to participate and vote in?

That is the opinion on the whole thing from one veteran user of the forums.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Tournament Theme Voting is now closed.

I went back and made my own spreadsheet (in the format of those posted in this thread previous) from the very beginning and double-checked the voting carefully. Based on that, my final tally is:

Best Hero/Heroine: 37 points (10 primaries)
Best Supporting Character: 36 points (12 primaries)
Biggest Bad-Ass: 34 points (15 primaries)
Most Improved: 20 points (6 primaries)
Most Troubled/Flawed: 12 points (2 primaries)

Thus the next tournament, by a one-point margin, will be Best Hero/Heroine. Though two other options had more primary votes (which would have been the tiebraker had there been a tie), the winning option had more unique votes for it, so this would also seem to be the most widely-supported option.

The character nomination process will start in a couple of hours, at which time I will un-sticky this thread and begin a new one specifically for that purpose. Thanks to all who made their input known!

And to address some concerns that came up towards the end: I also found the "strategic vote change" approach a bit irritating, so the next time we do a tournament theme vote I will not allow vote changes. That policy will not be carried over into the regular tournament, however, as I still feel that trying to convince others to change their votes has merit and is a traditional part of the tournament. I will put in some restrictions on vote changing, though, such as disallowing changes based on obvious vote-trading (yeah, I did that myself once, and felt dirty afterward) and requiring that those who change their votes justify why they changed it. I am open to additional suggestions on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Well, I like the idea of a cutoff in vote changing. Basically, it would be a rule that stops people from changing their vote an hour before the voting period ends. The time doesn't have to be an hour, so long as it is clearly defined.

I am of course pleased that my favourite theme won this time. However, I would like to say that if there had been a tie that it should have won anyway, because it received significantly more votes (weighted or not) than either of the other two leading candidates. See the tallies that Dorcas_Aurelia and Olliff came up with, to see how favoured it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17