• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournaments: Voting Closed.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And to clarify on my Best Hero/Heroine idea: I chose the words "worthy of honor and respect" in my proposal very carefully. Those are intended to help eliminate anti-heroes and those with questionable motives and avoid the need for a specific "Noble" qualification. Also, everyone should be clear that this is Best Hero, not Best Protagonist. Far from every anime series protagonist is a hero worthy of veneration, so this idea is actually a lot narrower than it might appear to be at first.

Ah, fickle, fickle me! Wink I like this idea. Because I think that it can encompass characters across all genres of anime. Because in reading the description one of the first people I thought of was Tohru from Fruits Basket. She doesn't have a fantastic transformation sequence or a finishing move...but what she does have is a huge heart, a listening ear and gentle arms to comfort those she loves and cares about.
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
I was thinking in honour of the late great Joker (Heath Ledger) winning an oscar for best supporting role, a great tournament would be Best secondary/supporting character. Let's shine the light on the characters that really flesh out the story, without being the centerpiece of the show. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head are Yagami Light's father (name escapes me, all the more reason to have this tournament haha), Kawashima Ami from Toradora, Zange-chan from Kannagi, etc. I'm sure if I sat down and looked through my anime list, for each one I could pick a suitable character. Ah well, I guess I'll save that suggestion for the next round.

Last edited by Skylark on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Key wrote:
Think you're missing the whole point of the tournament. We're not trying to set up a psychological study in disguise, but an event for pure entertainment value that also has a tradition of fostering interest in little-seen titles. Besides, several people thought the last tournament got a little too "heavy" towards the end, so I'm looking for something at least a bit lighter.

Which simply means that people can choose on a tournament they like and that's enough. I don't think it is necessary to delve on people's argumentation style just to secure quality or ignore seriousness. The last tournament's nature required (according me) some discipline on prospositional level, but then again, it was about the "most intelligent character" after all. Other topics certainly need it not, especially if they aim at being fun.
That being said, I liked most of the suggestions. I'm fine with any of them, but haven't seen a Badass Character tournament, so I'll probably vote on this one.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And to clarify on my Best Hero/Heroine idea: I chose the words "worthy of honor and respect" in my proposal very carefully. Those are intended to help eliminate anti-heroes and those with questionable motives and avoid the need for a specific "Noble" qualification. Also, everyone should be clear that this is Best Hero, not Best Protagonist. Far from every anime series protagonist is a hero worthy of veneration, so this idea is actually a lot narrower than it might appear to be at first.

Actually, after thinking more, I like this idea a lot too.

So my top to choices are Most Improved Character and Best Hero/Heroine, and after that I'd say Most Badass Character.
velocet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I quite like the idea of Most Improved Character - it has potential for good discussion and a wide variety of source material. Best Hero/Heroine is also decent, as are a few of the others.

Though the Most Badass option seems to be getting a lot of vocal support, I wouldn't participate in that tournament; though it might start out a lot of fun, by the end you'd be flogging a dead horse - all arguments, points and examples of ass-kicking raised would have been brought up in previous rounds, and it would be, well, pretty dull. Kicking ass just isn't as nuanced as character development, and I just can't see anything new being brought to the table after a certain point. I enjoy badass characters as much as the next person - but no matter which way you spin it, it's still not going to provide much of a variety - by round 4 it's just going to be like forcing down another bite of a meal that's too big for your appetite.

If this is the option that's picked, count me out. I'll see you in a similar thread to this one in a few months time.

EDIT: Noticed an extraneous word left in when I was re-wording a sentence after Oliff quoted it. Oops.

Last edited by velocet on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
velocet wrote:

Though the Most Badass option seems to be getting a lot of vocal support, I wouldn't participate in that tournament; though it might start out a lot of fun, by the end you'd be flogging a dead horse - all arguments, points and examples of ass-kicking raised would have been brought up in previous rounds, and it would be, well, pretty dull. Kicking ass just isn't as nuanced as character development, and I just can't see anything new being brought to the table after a certain point. I enjoy badass characters as much as the next person - but you're no matter which way you spin it, it's still not going to provide much of a variety - by round 4 it's just going to be like forcing down another bite of a meal that's too big for your appetite.

You have many valid points. Though this idea is fairly original and novel, I can see this tournament degrading into a state similar to what you have described above. Unlike you, I would probably still participate in a Most Bad Ass tournament, but it would be far from my ideal choice.

After reading Key's last post, I am sold on the Best Hero/Heroine idea as long you clearly define what a hero is in in the tournament description. Additionally, I wouldn't mind a Most Improved Character contest, but it may be a bit prone to spoilers.
guet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
One of the reasons I'm totally supporting the Biggest Badass idea is that the video clips really don't require a lot of context to be understood. I also have to dissagree that the tournament would become stale after a few rounds. If anything, the dynamic nature of the characters and clips in my opinion would be a lot more entertaining than having to sit through 40 minutes of watching characters developing, or being a secondary character, or whatever else undefinable trait wins. I really had to force myself to watch several of the clips in the last tournament, and without the context of the series to understand what I was watching, some of them didn't help make the choice any easier. Badassery, by it's very nature, should lead to the most entertaining and understandable clips yet.

If you think voting on intelligence was hard, just try to get your mind around how one character's "development" is better than another. Honestly, Renton Thurston, or Vincent Law? I would have absolutly no idea how to vote for something like that. I have similar issues with some of the other more undefinable theme ideas. Of course this is just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to those pushing for a more nuanced theme, but if the point is to just have fun, a simpler theme is really the way to go.

I have a bad feeling that the same thing will happen this time as last time. Those voting for the more action oriented Badass/Heroic will divide the votes between the two, and a third more serious and complicated option will win.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
When we get down to voting for which "genre" the tournament should be, perhaps that everyone actually vote for 2 different ones, and the one with the most votes wins.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
It's up to Key how the voting will work, but last time we got to pick a first and second preference, the first getting 2 points, the second getting 1.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
It's up to Key how the voting will work, but last time we got to pick a first and second preference, the first getting 2 points, the second getting 1.

**smacks forehead!** You're right! I forgot. That way worked, IMO. So I think that we should do it that way again.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Discussion and proposals seem to be dying down, so let's go to a vote.

Three ideas have clearly gotten more discussion than any others, but I picked a couple of others that were discussed multiple times in some form to round the field out to five. I am not including Best Team/Organization amongst them because, honestly, I think that's the next tournament we do after this one. (That would put a gap of two single-character tourneys in between the multi-character tourneys.) Even if we'd have to kick the field down to 64 to accommodate it, I'd really like to do that one at some point. Thus I am putting out a separate vote for that.

Rules for voting:

1) Any registered forum member in good standing may vote.

2) Vote for a first and second choice. First-choice votes score 2 points, second-choice votes score 1. (If you do not specify which choice is your first, both score 1 point - and yes, you can do this deliberately if you want.)

3) The voting will continue until the end of the month. At that time the highest total score will determine the next tournament.

4) This time there is also an Option Vote, but you do not have to vote on that to vote on the main tournament.

The options are:

Biggest Badass - For characters that kick major butt and look very cool doing so. Would be easily to define, pick a field, and find worthy video clips. Its disadvantage is its lack of breadth, as its nature virtually shuts out several genres.

Most Improved - For characters that start out weak and/or pathetic but show substantial growth over the course of the title, in the process overcoming their own iniquities and/or realizing new dimensions to their strengths and abilities. It has the advantage of encompassing character growth, growth in power and skill, and those that find their way out of darkness into the light, so it crosses all genres. Its main disadvantages are the difficulty in making video clips for it and a potentially more limited field of options. . . Edit: and it might tend to be a bit more spoilerish.

Best Hero/Heroine - For characters who, through their actions or by the example they set, prove themselves worthy of honor and respect. They might protect people, save lives, act for the well-being of all, or just generally serve as an inspiration to others, and in any case offer an appeal above and beyond their personality quirks and determination. It is not a category synonymous with "protagonist." This idea also cuts across all genres and should have a vast field of potential candidates, but it would also require closer monitoring to make sure entries stay true to the spirit of the idea.

Most Flawed/Troubled - For characters riddled with problems they must struggle to overcome, factors which hold them back from success or harm their relationships with others. The biggest concern here is how much of a downer subject it might be, but certainly there are enough suitable characters out there.

Best Supporting Character - For characters who manage to shine despite not having the limelight cast upon them. These characters are the scene-stealers, the ones who may be far from the focus yet still play a key role in making the title what it is. To prevent this category from getting out of hand, it would strictly be limited to characters who could not, by any stretch, be considered major roles to prevent confusion in cases of ensemble casts.

OPTION VOTE -DISCONTINUED
Should Best Team/Organization be the automatic following tournament, or should we do the selection process anew when this one is done? (This category is for formalized groups of three or more who act in concert to accomplish goals or fulfill purposes.)

Last edited by Key on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ah, splendid, voting time. Here are my votes. (Sounds simple enough, lets hope i did this correclty)

#1 Choice: Most Flawed/Troubled

#2 Choice: Best Supporting Character

Optional Vote: No ( I edited this in, that is all, no other voting changes occured )

-Elfen12-

Last edited by Elfen12 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Choice No. 1: Most Improved. Character growth is a key factor in anime I enjoy, and I think it would lead to good discussions during votes.

Choice No. 2: Best Supporting Character. It sounds like fun, and gives us a chance to discuss the merits of characters who might otherwise be overlooked.

Optional vote: I'm OK with Best Team/Organization being the tournament following this.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
1st Choice:Biggest Badass

2nd Choice: Best Supporting Character
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
1st choice: Biggest Badass. I'm sure you're all shocked by this.

2nd choice: Best Hero.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 17