• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sick of the entitlement kiddies?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:53 am Reply with quote
So as some of you may have noticed, there's a big hoo-ha right now about Fullmetal Alchemist being licensed by FUNimation. This happens every time FUNimation licenses anything. It also happens every time 4kids licenses something. It's a cycle and it happens all the time.

You'll see the same arguments over and over again:

1. FUNimation is evil because they dubbed and edited Dragonball.

2. FUNimation ruins everything they touch.

3. We hate FUNimation.

That's the basic gist of every argument you see on these forums when FUNimation licenses something. It infuriates me and just about every other rational soul here, but sometimes it's good to take a step back and remember these important concepts:

1. Every time FUNimation licenses something, every 15-year old militant anime "fan" comes crawling out of the woodwork to complain en masse on message boards across the internet. They coalesce in huge, festering piles of misinformed, illogical hatred and proceed to spew their venom all over everything, usually for a few weeks.

2. Then they go away.

I think it's important to remember #2 and also remind ourselves (I myself am guilty of doing this) to not feed the trolls. Arguing with them is a fool's errand, as I have discovered countless times; they refuse to listen to reason. They've been indoctrinated into a blind sort of hatred, and, as I stated before, they do go away after a relatively short period of time.

Unfortunately, as bittorrent entitlement culture continues, it's going to get worse. Those of us who do prefer reason to madness will simply have to batten down the hatches and roll with the punches. I think the best way to get these people (who invariably only show up to complain about something, as is evidenced by their post counts) to go away is to simply not respond at all. At least, that's my take on it. I won't be contributing to another thread that discusses FUNimation, or Cartoon Network, or editing, or anything else of that nature unless it is specifically NOT a qualitative discussion of either company's track record and merit. I invite the rest of you who are clearly as irritated by these children as I am to do the same.
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:57 am Reply with quote
The only big mistake FUNimation made was editing dragonball I think creator did a great job. Other than that, FUNimation is great! except the 4kids thing. That needs to die. I don't think we need anime for smaller children because that only leads them to the adult anime such as Cowboy bebop, and/or Inuyasha which could just make them wet their pants, or, their parents seeing what they watch. Then eventually they'll work their way to hardcore hentai like LaBlue girl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:09 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. Your saying that watching Pokemon will lead a child to Urotsukidoji. Right, great logic you have there. Rolling Eyes

In any case I agree with your assessment Zac. Unfortunately sometimes its just so hard to ignore the trolls. It bewilders me how some people can me so moronic. Never the less its true that said trolls never give in to logic and I for one will TRY to ignore them from now on.
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:11 am Reply with quote
It's not my logic, it's only a dumb theory, I've seen many little kids march into suncoast looking for pokemon AND dirtypair and walk out depressed because they were only allowed Pokemon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:37 am Reply with quote
Zac: two steps ahead and ignoring myself. But in general, yeah, I have to agree. I think I;ll be stopping now.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:39 am Reply with quote
my problem with funimation isn't particularly the dubbing, it's how they ruin the soundtracks. that's so freaking annoying. i'm almost considering downloading it just to get the original music..
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
my problem with funimation isn't particularly the dubbing, it's how they ruin the soundtracks. that's so freaking annoying. i'm almost considering downloading it just to get the original music..

This thread was not an invitation for you or anyone else to try and justify why you dislike what FUNimation does.

Please kindly knock it off.

-Z
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
I think what everyone wants in the Anime world, is that the Japanese dub their own work work into english instead of North Americans doing it.

Think about it. We have a better understanding of what would happen if we put uncut Anime, that are made for kids in Japan, on TV. I think it's good that they edited out alot of the "good" stuff since I can't imagine what would have happened if they had left all of the "adult" things in DB/DBZ/Pokemon/...
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:21 am Reply with quote
Many of the Japanese have a hard time translating their own work because of their lack of the english language I believe that's the whole reason they send it to good companies in the US
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote
Yay! It's the "Shut the &^$@ up about Funimaton Already!" Club! *joins*
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:36 am Reply with quote
I don't see why anyone has a REAL problem with FUNimation.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
Blood_rein wrote:

That's one of the best way to put it. I think I'll join the "club" as well. Wink
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Blood_rein wrote:

That's one of the best way to put it. I think I'll join the "club" as well. Wink

Glad someone agrees with that statement.
miu

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Arguing with them is a fool's errand, as I have discovered countless times; they refuse to listen to reason.

Agreed, starting a discussion with those folks makes things far worse. Giving them an audience allows them to work themselves into a lather, and it can take a real measure of self control to walk away from a disagreement with someone making wild claims that you know to be false.

Zac wrote:
2. Then they go away.

Never underestimate the staying power of fanboy hatred of a single company, /. has been around for 7 years now. Smile
chevisan

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:06 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with Funimation
Those "kids" need to watch the unnedited DVD's of Blue Gender. Blue Gender is one of the most "mature" tv series and Funimation did a great job with it completely uncensored.
The Adult Swim version was censored to death, but it's not Funimation's fault, and Blue Gender is too mature to be put in Cartoon Network uncensored anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4