• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Commercial Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnav

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
[quote="Tsuppi"]
Quote:

EIGHTY episodes? To cover the manga? So...that would mean.... They wouldn't even be able to have nonsensical filler even if they wanted? Shocked ohmai

And I guess it's true that they very well could have taken the safe route for this second anime. I'm really REALLY glad they didn't. It was a risk. Or maybe they WANTED to stir the pot--so to say--by possibly alienating fans of the first FMA incarnation? Surprised Who knows

what was the safe route dude..i didn't get u..and i agree with rhymeswithempty ..there is just too much happenin in the manga ..if they end up in 50 episodes ,,i think theyll do a big mistake of rushin stuff....i dont care even if it crosses 100..i want the whole manga covered...
But i think bones has never made animes with more than 50 odd episodes..BUT there is alwayz a first time . and fma 2 is the right choice for them to break their RULZ....
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
They could still make OAVs or movies, if 51 episodes aren't enough... I just hope that they'll cover all the manga this time, in a way or another.

By the way, on another forum I found other pictures, and at this point I don't have doubts anymore about the new character design: it's perfect imho! Very Happy

I hope I can post the link...
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=12591&view=findpost&p=663885

P.S.
@RhymesWithEmpty: of course, when I compared the first FMA series to a fanfic, I was only referring its story and characters, not the whole anime.
Anyway, you can agree or not, but as you can see mine as a "crude comparison", I could reply that you're "crude" to all fanfics writers, since you're implying that they could never write something on par or better than an official manga adaptation, which is clearly not true. There are way too many anime with fillers and/or incomplete or messed up endings (compared to the manga they were based on) to defend a position like that. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cnav

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
They could still make OAVs or movies, if 51 episodes aren't enough... I just hope that they'll cover all the manga this time, in a way or another.

By the way, on another forum I found other pictures, and at this point I don't have doubts anymore about the new character design: it's perfect imho! Very Happy

I hope I can post the link...
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=12591&view=findpost&p=663885

P.S.
@RhymesWithEmpty: of course, when I compared the first FMA series to a fanfic, I was only referring its story and characters, not the whole anime.
Anyway, you can agree or not, but as you can see mine as a "crude comparison", I could reply that you're "crude" to all fanfics writers, since you're implying that they could never write something on par or better than an official manga adaptation, which is clearly not true. There are way too many anime with fillers and/or incomplete or messed up endings (compared to the manga they were based on) to defend a position like that. Wink

hey i was checkin those pics out a few monments ago and i was bout to post them here... Laughing Very Happy Smile Razz Wink

hey the artwork is friggin cool....seriously....yahooooo
cant wait ...april is still miles away........ Evil or Very Mad
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
It was never my intent to belittle any fanfiction authors. Whether or not the fanfiction is well written is completely besides the point. In fact, it seemed to me as if you were using the term fanfiction in a derogatory sense, not in terms of how well any of it is written, but in terms of how significant it is - like, "you should watch the anime, but just think of it as fanfiction, that way, if you don't like it, you can just remind yourself that it's not really FMA, and hence not really significant anyways," which might not seem like such a slight to someone more devoted to the manga, but to someone who views the anime as a perfectly legitimate, albeit alternate version of the story, well, it's easy to read as offensive. I just think, with all of the acclaim it has gathered, and with all of the work that went into it, it deserves to be treated as having more significance than a piece of fanfiction. Sorry if I misinterpreted, that's just how I read it, and it set off flashing red lights in my brain Razz

I'd much rather they just covered all there was to cover in the actual anime than having to resort to OVAs or movies. Unless the ending of the manga is really suited to movie format, then I guess it wouldn't bother me. OVAs should only be used for inconsequential side stuff, though, imo.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the art, so far. It's very clear that they're mimicking Hiromu Arakawa's style, which I wouldn't normally mind, except they're doing it much more directly than I thought they would. Whether or not it's a good thing or a bad thing, I can't really say until I see how it looks animated. I still don't get the whole "soft" look thing, what with the colored in lines of Ed's hair. Again, I'll reserve judgment until I see it in motion. More motion than the little we've seen, that is.

And cnav - the "safe route" we're talking about is the fact they they didn't just keep the same production team and whatnot from the 1st anime. They're changing the staff, and willing to take risks with it, which would seem to show that they're not just doing this series for the money. Although it's surely going to get them tons of money anyways, haha.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Sorry then, I gave the wrong impression, but English isn't my native language, so I don't always choose the best way to say things... ^^'
In fact, I didn't intended to use the word "fanfiction" in a derogatory way, but only in relation of something "not completely canon". Wink

About the softness, as I already said maybe it will be something about the backgrounds: maybe they've used watercolours or other form of soft colouring style, or even if digital something that still looks soft.

We really have to wait to see more at this point, but I'm enjoying talking with other Fullmetal Alchemist fans and exchanging opinions anyway. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tsuppi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Fanfiction can definitely be as amazing as an original work. I don't have a doubt that fanfiction shouldn't be seen as a lesser prose. It's different from creating something from your own personal world views, for sure. But it still takes as much creativity to take another's characters and make them come alive in your own story. The first FMA anime was BONES incorporating their ideas for Arakawa's world, and I understand that's how it should be interpreted!

OHLORD, yay, thanks Sariachan!! Great pictures.... I really, really want to see more. April is so far away! Oh, well, I purchased a novel by Makoto Inoue, and there are more to while away the time (not to mention the manga releases each month)....
I also am getting a bit farther in watching the anime, after years of just pegging it as an effigy. You can tell the people at BONES knew what they were doing. The deviated storyline still has not stopped my heart as of yet, but that they HAD to include the part in the manga with Hughes.... Oh, what a tearkerker!! If you can change the manga story up, don't include THAT part! Anime cry

The soft look (the colour-tracing of Edo's hair included) will go with a more realistic looking anime that apparently makes it easier on the eyes? This must include some "softer" backgrounds. I imagine they could be using digital, doing something more than just the normal watercolour paintings as the BG. Can't wait to see it in action~ Very Happy
On seeing the first trailer from hagaren.jp, what were everyone's thoughts, I wonder? Smile I was in looove with Roy when he appeared in it.
And upon seeing the second trailer, also what thoughts? [the animation of the leg being taken blew me away, as well as everything else]

Aye, and I would be satisfied with 50+, but I wouldn't mind if the goodness went on for 100 episodes, anyway, to cover the manga. Wink
cnav

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
thanks rhymeswithempty for explainin to me what the safe route is..i dont call what they are doin a risk cause the people they've got workin behind the new anime are no newbies..they are well known in the anime world..i was watchin red garden recently and akira senju has done a delightful job with its score..(expectin the same here)..moreover gettin a new staff increases curiosity among the viewers...
this is just my point of view....

and bout the people who say that this is done for the money are plain stupid,, thats all i can say...

moreover ,,milkin a good franchise dry should be learnt from MR Hideaki Anno..so called creator of Neon genesis evangelion..now that is what u call doin sumthn just for the sake of money...
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
No problem Tsuppi, I just posted here the link to the pictures, it wasn't me to scan them or anything. Wink

About the reaction upon seeing the trailers... well, I never was so excited for an upcoming anime, and each new trailer they release I get more excited... lol. Anime hyper
cnav

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
hey tsuppi...how is the novel????is it good.????
Tsuppi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes...! Very Happy Makoto Inoue's a great writer! I love that a few illustrations of his story made by Arakawa-sensei are put in, every now and then, also. Of course, it's Inoue's work, but it's all in keeping with the spirit of FMA. I highly recommend the novels....
(And you asked earlier if they include Hughes' death--for the one I'm reading, the time is set after that incident. Yes, his having died is included. [Wonder if that's a spoiler.] )
And what's this about milking NGE? As far as I know... the new film incarnations (Rebuild of Eva) are actually really good to have since the original anime didn't have a satisfying ending.
...Which makes me think. If the first FMA DID have a satisfying ending... (however non-canon) what REALLY would have been the point of making the new FMA now at all? Of course it'd be for money, also to pique fans' interest, prolly also to get Studio D to stretch its muscles.... But why a new FMA? Not something else...?

Question
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, even if the ending itself was liked by everyone, I still believe that the manga is great enough to get animated from start to finish. Wink
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this "softer" look will help make it look a bit more realistic. Just hope they don't go overboard - it is a "dark fantasy," after all, heh. It also seems to me like the style the characters were done in for the 1st anime were slightly more suited to animation, so maybe this "soft" look is kind of a way to counteract Hiromu Arakawa's style? Not to say her style is inferior, it's just a bit less sleek, seems like it might be better suited to the page than the screen. Perhaps this softer look will help make the transition smoother - I'm no professional, though, so, yeah, I can't really say. Hell, I'm probably just spouting nonsense Razz

Well, there's some level of risk in bringing in a new staff, even if they're all very skilled. There are some fans, like us, who are very interested to see what they will do, but then there are a number of others who are just disappointed to hear that Michiru Oshima won't be doing the soundtrack, and stuff like that. I don't think it'll completely alienate too many people, though, and I a believe BONES is doing a smart thing by changing it up. The point is more that it's just not the safe, easy route.

As for milking a series for all its worth, yes, NGE is pretty guilty of that, but, hey, the fans still buy it, so we can't really blame them too much. As a fan, I'm quite happy to be getting new content. And it's not as if FMA is completely innocent of this, either. There were the indivudual volumes, and the collector's tins(one of which I have, heh), then the half season boxsets, and now the full season boxsets, which I'm kind of wishing I'd waited for before getting all of the half season ones. And the 2 different releases of the movie, and plenty of other merchandise besides. And I won't be surprised to see the same thing happen for the new series. Give it as long as NGE has had, and hey, it might get to the same level - I doubt it, but you never know!

Why more FMA? Seems pretty simple to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been planning to do this new series ever since they finished the original, and were just waiting for Hiromu Arakawa to wrap it up. It's a fan favorite - it's practically a guaranteed hit. And perhaps a lot of them are just really big fans! Razz Why wouldn't they do it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tsuppi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
@Empty.last paragraph: Hear, hear! Very Happy

So far we've only gotten glimpses in the trailers of how they have animated Ed, Al, and Mustang.
I can't wait to see how they portray Scar--not just in the drawings (lulz, could his hair be colour-traced, too?). The guy's not a normal, archetypal villain that be twiddling his moustache (his conversation with Miles proves this to me completely). Uwahee~ [flail]
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Well, even if the ending itself was liked by everyone, I still believe that the manga is great enough to get animated from start to finish. Wink

tsuppi..i kinda liked the 1st anime's ending..there should be more FMA because its FMA.. and sariachan is spot on..the manga is so awesome ,, i wish they had started animating it earlier..but no probs..now tat i know its gonna get animated i dont have to worry..

now i get ur point rhymeswithempty..i see so many people complainin bout the new anime.. either..theyll have somethin or the other to complain..the music,artwork,story etc..u get my point right...many people want this to be a continuation of the first anime....id like to see what great ideas those people have of continuin from where the movie left..
and for linkin the two up..the only way they can link the two stories is by making the first anime a dream..sumthn like this...they show a little footaga of the previous anime and then ed wakes up and says.."Was I Dreamin"???? and continue with the manga....hahahahhahhahaa ..the thought of it makes me ROFL>..
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
Tsuppi wrote:
@Empty.last paragraph: Hear, hear! Very Happy

So far we've only gotten glimpses in the trailers of how they have animated Ed, Al, and Mustang.
I can't wait to see how they portray Scar--not just in the drawings (lulz, could his hair be colour-traced, too?). The guy's not a normal, archetypal villain that be twiddling his moustache (his conversation with Miles proves this to me completely). Uwahee~ [flail]

i still dont get what colour tracing is???? can anyone explain...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8