• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimations Adds My Bride Is A Mermaid! Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
"Plus, I found the number of girls hitting on him comical rather than forced." Unit 03.5-ish

heh, I think I find all harems that way and that's why I like 'em... Twisted Evil
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
what I really hope is that Funi doesn't fail to learn the lessons of ADV, ie. licensing averything that moves...

except Funimation can afford it. Funimation does stuff other than anime. for instance, they own the American rights to all those Noggin shows like "Degrassi" and tweens eat that up.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
<3 Nagasumi-san~

Now if Funi could license Higurashi season 2 & Nagasarete Airantou...I'd be happy. Very Happy
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
"Plus, I found the number of girls hitting on him comical rather than forced." Unit 03.5-ish

heh, I think I find all harems that way and that's why I like 'em... Twisted Evil

He did better than Shinji. The only one who was interested in him was a tsundere with self-esteem issues. Though I must say I'm biased because I dig the tsundere type...err, anyway, at least Kamina wasn't a twiggy little emo loser with daddy issues.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
He did better than Shinji. The only one who was interested in him was a tsundere with self-esteem issues. Though I must say I'm biased because I dig the tsundere type...err, anyway, at least Kamina wasn't a twiggy little emo loser with daddy issues.

Interestingly I just watched Shinji [gritting my teeth a LOT!] but I think actually Rei and Misato certainly had a thing for him, just responding in their own ways. I also noticed more this time a connection to what Ritsuko mentions about the Magi being the 3 parts of her mother. Each of them seems to correspond to that, Misato as Mother, Rei as Scientist, and Asuka as Woman...

But that is certainly tangential...
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big harem fan so not to excited. I really want Higurashi Kai. Return of the Killer Lolis.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Interestingly I just watched Shinji [gritting my teeth a LOT!] but I think actually Rei and Misato certainly had a thing for him, just responding in their own ways. I also noticed more this time a connection to what Ritsuko mentions about the Magi being the 3 parts of her mother. Each of them seems to correspond to that, Misato as Mother, Rei as Scientist, and Asuka as Woman...

But that is certainly tangential...
I somehow see it as Misato the woman(realist), Rei the mother(task seeker), and Asuka the scientist(idealist).
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a harem fan, but I do love good comedy.
This is going to be a definite purchase for me. It's such a laugh.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I could sorta see it, because a number of the main women fell for him...but that show just baaarrreeelllyy skirted being a harem

I...just...what?! I can't...I don't even know what to say to even remotely comparing a series like Rahxephon to a harem. Let me guess, Evangelion is a harem? Ooh, ooh, or Bleach! Or maybe...well, pretty much any series with more than one female showing interest in the male, right? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Christ, you boggle the mind. And I'm still not going to act like there's any good reason to write off an entire genre of anything, regardless of how bad the majority is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Well, it's not realy. But it's a title that will probably move more units than "The inland sea bride"...

Or any variation of that? Or just leave the title as is.
Right, because a title that nobody can understand is sure to fly off the shelves. Heck, I even put off DLing it for awhile due to the incomprehensibility factor.

Wasn't "My Bride is a Mermaid" established as an official English title on the Japanese side before the licensing? If so, then this is one of those cases like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien --> Rumbling Hearts where any "blame" falls on the licensors, not the licensees.
Terriyaki Terrier wrote:
Hopefully Funimation will license a slice of life show, like Sketchbook.
Why, so it can put up big numbers like Strawberry Marshmallow (speaking of people bitching about straightforward title translations Rolling Eyes ) didn't do for Geneon? I'm sure it's a decent show, but I can't think of it as a good licensing prospect.
ArthurFrDent wrote:
so, ish... would you call RahXephon a harem? I kid, sorta...
I would, and I do.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
So because I don't like a genre that is so overwrought with stereotypes that it's hard to take seriously I'm getting ragged on

OK
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Exactly.

Because you yourself are generalizing by putting down Seto no Hanayome without knowing anything about the series.

I mean heck, I myself don't typically like shows with lots of bishounen, but I make sure to watch at least a few episodes of a show before I trash it. And I have found quite a few decent ones (CCS, Ouran, Hana Yori Dango, etc)
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
So because I don't like a genre that is so overwrought with stereotypes that it's hard to take seriously I'm getting ragged on

OK

But you've never actually watched a harem show, so it's not really fair for you to say you dislike the entire genre. As much as I dislike harem shows where the main male character's only personality trait is 'nice' and the girls are all spineless, and clingy, who have no interests outside of cooking and cleaning for said nice guy, they're not all like that.
Go rent Kanon, or Air. Those are prime examples of a harem show done well. It's easy to see why the girls care for the main character, the girls themselves have more personality than "Oh, nothing makes me happier than to cook you dinner!" and they have fairly good stories to go along with it.
Really. Try those two shows. You'll like them. I promise.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Actually it's quite simple to discount something, especially if it's a genre you don't like. Now I know there are people out there that say "Give it a chance, it's good!" and well that's fine, and if we knew each other I'd gladly watch it with you, but shows like this don't appeal to me. In addition this particualr series reminds me of a story I've seen before and so it would have to do something extremely unique or well to draw me in, as the story I remeber was very dramatic and serious (at the time for me at any rate.)

This just goes back to that I should not have to see every anime ever made, nor do I want to see every anime ever made. I'd rather focus on the series I know I'll like and then branch out from there.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

OK

I think people grudge your difficulty for seeing what sets series apart in a genre you dislike. As you've admitted, you can see the harem elements in a series like Rahxephon. But that's not what makes the show, right? Rahxephon's awesome for other, more outstanding reasons.

That's what I think people are trying to show you. It's what separates Higurashi from Seto no Hanayome from Ouran. Or, in mecha, Gravion from Gundam from Gurren.

So yeah, you can just shut yourself off to any series with harem elements, no questions asked! Very Happy You're entitled to that as a customer and a fan. However, you may miss out on something a little more fulfilling than you planned in the process.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9