• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Picks Up Evangelion:1.0 Anime Film Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
Very interesting. I wonder if they'll redo the dub version of Eva 1.0???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Finally.

November 10, 2009.

Damn it. That's two years after its initial showing in Japan, and one-and-a-half years after its Japanese DVD release!

We better get this on Blu-ray to make up for the delay.

Translation, dubbing, authoring...these things, they take something we call "time".
Translations were done more than a year ago for the Pusan film Festival. Dubbing an hour and a half of footage does not take a year and a half. Authoring CERTAINLY doesn't take a year and a half.

I hope that this means that Funi has officially decided to take on the Eva project.

Nobody seems to be willing to do this, but it'd be awesome if they could integrate themselves so much with the Japanese production that they get scripts and footage so that they can start working on a dub/translation as soon as possible for as close to a simultaneous home release as possible.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Yes! Hopefully they'll bring back the original dub cast. Shouldn't be a problem if they go the "Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid" route.

I really hope they get a new cast, at least for Shinji, I made it through about half of a dub episode and it was so horrible, but I always prefer subs anyways. But the english Va's were just horrid.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Finally.

November 10, 2009.

Damn it. That's two years after its initial showing in Japan, and one-and-a-half years after its Japanese DVD release!

We better get this on Blu-ray to make up for the delay.

To quote Cheech Marin's character from Ghostbusters 2 "Well, better late than never."

But yeah, it's taken this long because ADV was probably initially going for it until they ran into problems. But why it's taking 11 months from now is being me. Dubbing isn't even an issue, it'd only take a few weeks for that. And reverse importation can't either, not with how rabid Japanese fans are over Eva, and given the time-frame, and that they've already seen it in theaters. If they're waiting for a BD release, it'd make more sense, but so would getting the DVD out there while also saying that the BD is on the way, so you don't have to buy twice.

Well since the Japanese LE release looked great and prob is better than the R1 release, it's pretty much assumed that some will be double dipping. (R2 LE release got clips of film. It's doubtful that R1 can beat that. Hence, no reverse importation fears.)
amazingwind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I will be very angry if Funimation changed the voice actors as I like them a lot. With today's changes and their new experience I do not see any other cast doing it in english. The ADV VAs made it and are Evangelion.

To change that would be Funimation ignoring the hardcore Evangelion english fans and would be a slap to our faces

I will not buy it if they change it.

Gotta have Matt Greenfield directing too Very Happy

Key wrote:

And Zac, it could also be pointed out that much of the original cast was early into their dubbing careers; most had only a handful of titles under their belts, if any, at that point. With considerably more experience under their belts, the performance could me much better this time.

i agree and dub production has changed and gotten better since then. i do not know why people keep holding what was done a decade ago as something that would be done the same today

there is no corellation with past and now
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I had bought the special edition of this movie imported straight from Japan just for the sake of collecting it. There were no English subtitles, but it hardly mattered granted the first movie was so far the same as the series. Besides, I got to get an eyeful of the animation. While it looks like they just compiled shots from the TV series, they actually reanimated those same shots for the movie. For example, the part where Shinji forces that door open to get Rei out at the end; in the TV series it looked sketchy, but it looks so much smoother in the film version. I had half-hoped they'd show this movie at Otakon like they did at Anime Expo, but no luck. Thanks to Funimation I'll finally be able to own a version I can understand. It would be great if they used the same dub cast, granted they would give even better performances now, but if they do a different but very high-quality dub, I can work with that too. If fans just don't like the dub either way, then just stick to the sub version
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Translations were done more than a year ago for the Pusan film Festival. Dubbing an hour and a half of footage does not take a year and a half. Authoring CERTAINLY doesn't take a year and a half.

Yeah...but they just got it. It all really depends on how fast they get the materials from Japan. An 11 month wait since they licensed the movie seems reasonable. But hey, the fansubs are always there.

Oh, wait....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
amazingwind wrote:
I will be very angry if Funimation changed the voice actors as I like them a lot. With today's changes and their new experience I do not see any other cast doing it in english. The ADV VAs made it and are Evangelion.

To change that would be Funimation ignoring the hardcore Evangelion english fans and would be a slap to our faces

I will not buy it if they change it.

Gotta have Matt Greenfield directing too Very Happy

Key wrote:

And Zac, it could also be pointed out that much of the original cast was early into their dubbing careers; most had only a handful of titles under their belts, if any, at that point. With considerably more experience under their belts, the performance could me much better this time.

i agree and dub production has changed and gotten better since then. i do not know why people keep holding what was done a decade ago as something that would be done the same today

there is no corellation with past and now

Because the movies weren't done 10 years ago, and they STILL sucked. The actors can't act, period.
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The best thing about FUNI getting the licens is that if anyone they have the money to make shure to get the original actors.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
edzieba wrote:

Yeah...but they just got it. It all really depends on how fast they get the materials from Japan. An 11 month wait since they licensed the movie seems reasonable. But hey, the fansubs are always there.

Oh, wait....

Except they're you know...not quite legal

Also to the person griping about the voice actors on this page...um, the original dub cast was just fine and Tiffany Grant was one of ADV's most prolific talents after that, MacAvery WAS the voice of Gendo (sadly they'll probably have to replace him), and the other actors did just fine. I don't see anything wrong with the original cast.

And to hikaru: Um, I'd like some proof that there is a noticeable difference in quality between R1 and R2...I doubt it's THAT big of a discrepancy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quark: I'm sure you fans are still around to help fuel Gainax's pointless cash-ins, even though that Hayter panel at AX got more attendees than that Eva movie screening. The real question is whether you all will be enough to off-set the company's licensing fee for the flick. I remember Manga was at the top of its game once, too, until it got Death and Rebirth and EoE. Whatever the price for it, the company pretty much stopped buying high-profile titles shortly afterward. Blood was about it, and the last significant thing we got from them was that SF: Alpha movie which no one noticed. [I don't count the license of the Japanese SF 2, since that would have happened eventually anyway.] ADV might, once again, be the only winner here, since they didn't get ripped off on the show the way other companies are being robbed on the movies.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU, was that necessary? We know you're an anti-Eva type, so please get on with your trolling elsewhere.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
My Eva views had (mostly) nothing to do with my comments this time. I'm merely stating the facts here. The movie might cost more than it's worth in the end-especially if Gainax thinks it can charge the same sort of licensing fees for the next few pics.
chan wai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Ah, finally
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
even though that Hayter panel at AX got more attendees than that Eva movie screening

Presuming your claim is true, you're comparing an in-person guest appearance with a screening of a film that was released on DVD several months earlier. It would be more illuminating to compare the audience for Stranger, for example, to the Evangelion audience.

Quote:
I remember Manga was at the top of its game once, too, until it got Death and Rebirth and EoE. Whatever the price for it, the company pretty much stopped buying high-profile titles shortly afterward. Blood was about it, and the last significant thing we got from them was that SF: Alpha movie which no one noticed. [I don't count the license of the Japanese SF 2, since that would have happened eventually anyway.

So....Manga Entertainment gets the first two Eva movies. Then Manga gets Blood. Then Manga gets Japanese SF 2. Then Manga "pretty much" stopped buying high-profile titles.

Gatsu: I blame Eva!

GATSU wrote:
I'm merely stating the facts here. The movie might cost more than it's worth in the end

Anyone else notice the contradiction here?

GATSU wrote:
especially if Gainax thinks it can charge the same sort of licensing fees for the next few pics.

Uh, read the article. Khara is making the new films and NTV is licensing them to Funimation. Gainax is not doing the charging. It's not even in the copyright notice for the new films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10