• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maria sama ga Miteru

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foljo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, what a moody anime, I just love it. Is it strange to enjoy anime about private girls school? Ah, too bad it’s only 13 episodes long. But characters are wonderful and while watching anime, it feels like a dream, maybe because they use blurry effect and same set of colors, but it looks very alive and real. I wonder, is there schools like that in real life, where younger students respect juniors/seniors?

Your thoughts?
miu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:53 am Reply with quote
I don't think that kind of structure or respect is really part of US schools. In my small town it was pretty much a wasteland with football and cheerleading making up the respectable activities, and the only group activities were binge drinking and sex.

Of course we also don't have the massive social pressure and institutionalized bullying that Japanese schools have, so I suppose it all evens out.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:16 am Reply with quote
About nine episodes in so far, absolutely loving this series. The characters, the artwork, the deliberate pacing of the story, it all works very well together. I was actually pleasantly surprised with this one; I kinda felt I'd like it, but I didn't think I'd like it this much. Hell, I'd even go so far as to consider it one of the better series of the season, really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sacchan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:27 am Reply with quote
In Japanese schools, the line between lower and upperclassmen can be quite rigid. I've heard many kids speak keigo(polite & respectful form of Japanese) to kids just a year or two older than them even when they won't speak keigo to their teachers and their parents.

But, most students aren't as "ladylike" as the students in Maria-sama ga Miteru.
Goshin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quote
It’s a nice little series. Sure, there are a lot of cliché’ characters and the speed could get a bit tedious at times. But for some reason it all works. I was overwhelmed with boredom with the first 3 episodes, but I stuck with it, and I’ve grown to like it.

It’s one of those situations were, you watch it and at the end you can safely step back and say, yeah that was pretty good. Nice story, great looking art, a well balance assortment of characters. What’s not to like?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:12 am Reply with quote
I've started to watch this series, and all I have to say is that this series has a classy feel to it. I'll definetely keep on watching it since it's a little bit different than the stuff I usually watch.
Foljo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I have a question, why does this anime have such strong lesbian theme? I don’t want to sound ignorant, but girls going out to dates together? Or is it just fancy name for going shopping? It seems that these girls are in love with each other, but they go to public religious school. Bit strange.
The Spatula

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine who went to a Catholic school in California for high school, said that her school had a sister system very similar to that in Marimite. She didn't want to watch after the first 2 episodes because, "It's scary because that's how my high school was." This is not a typical system, but it apparently does exist.

That being said, I really enjoyed watching the series. Too bad it was so short. As for the lesbian theme, it's actually not uncommon for girls in Japan to "admire" other girls - going on dates, or giving them gifts are simply ways they can "be with them". This is not to say that these girls are homosexual in all cases, it's just that they happen to look-up to or think very highly of their object of admiration.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it after I feel into the mind-numbing pace of it. Too bad it was so short because it took me about 6 episodes to start really liking it. Are they making a second season of it?They could continue on with Yumi and Sachiko's relationship or show what happens to Shimako after Sei graduates.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:55 am Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:
This is not to say that these girls are homosexual in all cases, it's just that they happen to look-up to or think very highly of their object of admiration.

Quite so. In all fairness, another friend of mine put it somewhat like this. Just because you idolize them, doesn't mean you want to sleep with them. After all, doing that would completely change the way you view that person and then you lose whatever aspirations you might have had. Why suffer that kind of loss? In that respect, you don't necessarily harbor those desires and feelings because of the other feelings you already do have about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
The Spatula wrote:
This is not to say that these girls are homosexual in all cases, it's just that they happen to look-up to or think very highly of their object of admiration.

Quite so. In all fairness, another friend of mine put it somewhat like this. Just because you idolize them, doesn't mean you want to sleep with them. After all, doing that would completely change the way you view that person and then you lose whatever aspirations you might have had. Why suffer that kind of loss? In that respect, you don't necessarily harbor those desires and feelings because of the other feelings you already do have about them.

I think because of this...that's what makes Maria-sama so appealing. You know there's this strong bond between the girls, but you know that there isn't this underlying "I want to get it on with you" mentality. Even in the case of Sei and...erg..I forget her name (I'm so awful with names), you still just feel there's this strong, non-sexual relationship. Both of them respect qualities of the other that makes them complete.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
What a nice, civilized, friendly discussion about a real hot-button issue. On a different board, I've made pretty much the exact same point about "idol worship" about a certain character in a certain other series, as well as her mother who I consider to be more immature (stuck in the latency/"idol worship" phase) than lesbian, and was told rather rudely that she's a lesbian and I'm a homophobe for thinking otherwise (even if I admit two teenage male characters in the same series are gay... no prizes for guessing the series and characters, but it's not the subject of this thread, so I'm not naming names).

While in anime and manga, sometimes the line between idol worship and lesbianism gets a little blurry, I think some people's insistence that there is no such thing as a non-sexual same sex "crush" is just ludicrous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I think because of this...that's what makes Maria-sama so appealing. You know there's this strong bond between the girls, but you know that there isn't this underlying "I want to get it on with you" mentality. Even in the case of Sei and...erg..I forget her name (I'm so awful with names), you still just feel there's this strong, non-sexual relationship. Both of them respect qualities of the other that makes them complete.

Agreed. Whether the relationships are romantic or not, they're all just so honest and genuine. It's not like most "romances" these days that just focus on the end sexual result, but rather these characters truly love each other for who they are, and not certain...physical traits or how much they put out.

By the way, it's spoiler[Shiori,] the girl whose name you can't remember. Easily the most heartbreaking moment of the series thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
miu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
was told rather rudely that she's a lesbian and I'm a homophobe for thinking otherwise

Ignore the "everyone gay" crowd, they obviously don't remember being very young. Especially when we are young and unprepared for a sexual relationship a same sex crush is a safe way to enjoy the feelings of romantic love without the responsibilities and complications that come of it.
Foljo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Uh... well, as I said before, if you were raised in different environment/culture, you will see things differently.

I never experienced anything like that while growing up in Russia. Yes, we respected older people, but never idolized anyone. I think Russian culture is a rough one, we don't really like to show our soft side. So you understand when watching this series, I was under impressions that line between idolizing someone and lesbian thing became too blurry. Plus it being catholic school, one would think that all that hugging/kissing wouldn’t be allowed so much. It’s not that I have anything against it, it’s just I need to understand Japanese culture a bit better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2