• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big Apple Anime Fest 2004 Cancelled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Waaaa!

I am sooo not voting republican now!

hahah, ok that's not the reason, kinda funny and sad though.

Hmm, I wonder what it'll be like next year, bigger better than ever? heh
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow thats rather unfortunate...Dang republicans, why would they choose New York as the place for the National Convention...

To think that politics superceed(?) anime in terms of importance.

Though I would like to see one day...see a political canidate come forth and say..."Anime...I love anime, I watch it all the time...Vote for me" or something lika dat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DeSpawn wrote:
Though I would like to see one day...see a political canidate come forth and say..."Anime...I love anime, I watch it all the time...Vote for me" or something lika dat.

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=1293

Third paragraph.

"BAAF started with a bang on Thursday, October 25th as Mayor Rudy Giuliani joined in the festivities at an autograph signing at the Grand Re-opening of J&R Music World. The Mayor modeled the BAAF 2001 Charity T-shirt, sales of which raised more than $2,100 for the New York Police and Fire Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund."
sun007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
That sucks. BAAF is one of the best.

Stupid Republicans. You just lost your vote with the Otakus of New York! Surprised
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=1293

Third paragraph.

"BAAF started with a bang on Thursday, October 25th as Mayor Rudy Giuliani joined in the festivities at an autograph signing at the Grand Re-opening of J&R Music World. The Mayor modeled the BAAF 2001 Charity T-shirt, sales of which raised more than $2,100 for the New York Police and Fire Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund."

Heh, and Rudy Giuliani is Republican too. Razz
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Woo-hoo! Less competition for world premieres of big anime films for the Fantasia festival this year! Hooray for the Republicans!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
Are u sure this isn't an april fools joke? Its hard to believe that its actualy being cancelled due to this republican thing.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote
No joke.
They had been talking about the possibility of BAAF being cancelled earlier due to this.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
From what I remember from the discussion before, though, they could have still held it this year if they had simply moved it to a hotel in another borough, especially in Brooklyn or Queens, but I guess it's "Heart of Manhattan" or nuthin' for BAAF.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't understand why they cancelled it. Didn't they get enough notice that they'd have to move the event? At worst, it might've needed to be a bit smaller. Oh well...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
By the way, Shoujocon was also cancelled this year, also for lack of hotel space, but that's not on Labor Day weekend and that's in New Jersey, so people can't blame the Republicans for that one. It just seems, for whatever reason, that hotel space is at a premium in the entire Tri-State area this summer. Guess there's just a lot of non-anime conventions... there are conventions for things besides Japanese cartoons and American political parties, y'know?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:14 am Reply with quote
Actually, come to think of it, why was BAAF held in late October in 2001? And don't say "It was postponed because of September 11th", since Labor Day Weekend was over a week before September 11th. Why don't they just have it in late October again?
astra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quote
i'd just like to point out that just because new yorkers tend to vote in republican mayors, we are not conservatives (duh) guiliani and bloomberg are exceptions. bloombergs quite definitley a lefty.

so yes, lets see some more republican bashing. how dare they cancel an anime con? Smile
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Are u sure this isn't an april fools joke? Its hard to believe that its actualy being cancelled due to this republican thing.

Do you have any idea of the size and scope of a political convention? you're not just talking the 20-30,000 or so delegates and their support crews. You're also talking and equal number or more news crews from around the country and international media, as well as supplemental people coming in for protest rallies and other parallel events. There's not going to be a single hotel room left in most of the decent areas of the city.

Quote:
Why don't they just have it in late October again?

Frankly I think there's a lot more reason why they're not having BAAF on another day that have nothing to do with competing conventions based on what I've heard from the previous years. For one thing, the numbers that they've given in the past (so I'm told) are for the number of event tickets they sold/gave out. So if you go to 3 movies, you're counted 3 times. While this is an accepted practice in the general convention industry, the actual numbers that I've been hearing from people who have gone have all guesstimated in the 4-5000 range. Couple the size and scope of the events, the multiple venues, and the high rates in NYC, and frankly I'm hard pressed to see how they're breaking even
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:05 am Reply with quote
They might not be breaking even. There are probably some financial issues with them, perhaps also relation issues. The people in charge may have decided the costs of rescheduling would kill them, while waiting may let them build up financial steam and get a solid backing for later. Truth is, we don't the truth. Maybe someone will give us a more honest answer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2