• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bones' X'amd: Lost Memories Opening Now Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Primus wrote:
I'm sure Sony's High Definition PS3 stream is terrible Rolling Eyes

I was talking about the OP posted on ANN. The least you could do is pay attention.

In any case, this is not "the" legal version. It is "a" legal version. The legal version of the show is a high quality video.
Nfcpm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Vacancy by Kylee the end song is also available on itunes. While the op really got me into the show at first I have really grown to love the end song.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
A nice series, this one.

Some people like to call it "Postman Pat in Japan" because of the postal service thing. >_>

Heh, there's a .jpg in there somewhere.

LordPrometheus wrote:
Carping about quality aside, is the show any good?

Absolutely. One of the best "Shows-I-Didn't-Know-I'd-Like-So-Much". Overall art/animation quality is exactly as you see it in the OP. The ED is very good, too.

As for the subtitles, the only -- very minor -- quip I have is that the text isn't centered when dialogue spills onto multiple lines. Everything else is fine.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I like this series a lot, one of the better series to get into, the story is a little soft in the beginning, but after 13 episodes its starting to finally pick up. Worth watching simply to admire the animation quality, and the opening is possibly one of the best I've ever seen.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
Carping about quality aside, is the show any good?

Absolutely. One of the best "Shows-I-Didn't-Know-I'd-Like-So-Much". Overall art/animation quality is exactly as you see it in the OP. The ED is very good, too.

Agreed, but I'd put it a little stronger. Every year, there are a few gems that come out that will be remembered and discussed long after they finish airing. Xam'd: Lost Memories is one of them. An easy way to describe it is to say that it's a cross between Eureka Seven and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. And for me, that's a very, VERY good thing.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
@BleuVII: Interesting, I hadn't thought about Nausicaä, but I suppose you're right; there are some comparisons that can be made to it. I haven't actually seen Eureka 7, but I've heard/read enough about it to know that there are definitely parallels in the story and characters, never mind the art style (which Bones is really outdoing itself in in Xam'd).

I'd say there's also a bit of FMA in Xam'd, in terms of how themes and certain characters are being treated.

Anyway, I agree that Xam'd is something very special, too. I just try to restrain myself when talking about it, lest my inner fanboy burst forth onto the forums. Razz
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
That was worse the YOUTUBE quality, further proving that the legal version is far carppyer in terms of quality.

I'm sure Sony's High Definition PS3 stream is terrible Rolling Eyes

actually its the best looking anime i have seen in HD
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
@BleuVII: Interesting, I hadn't thought about Nausicaä, but I suppose you're right; there are some comparisons that can be made to it. I haven't actually seen Eureka 7, but I've heard/read enough about it to know that there are definitely parallels in the story and characters, never mind the art style (which Bones is really outdoing itself in in Xam'd).

I'd say there's also a bit of FMA in Xam'd, in terms of how themes and certain characters are being treated.

FMA? I don't see TOO many parallels in there, besides the importance of thinking and not losing yourself during a battle. What parallels do you see? I actually see a lot more influence from Laputa: Castle in the Sky, especially Nakiami's flying machine, the Zambini, and the old technician. But I think Nausicaä and Eureka Seven are the main ones, since the Xam'd and Humanforms seem to be halfway between the Nirvash and Ohmu (the big insects from Nausicaä). Either way, I highly recommend all four productions that I have mentioned in this post. Three of them are, in my opinion, masterpieces, and the fourth, Xam'd: Lost Memories is shaping up to be one as it is.

Big Hed wrote:
Anyway, I agree that Xam'd is something very special, too. I just try to restrain myself when talking about it, lest my inner fanboy burst forth onto the forums.

Agreed. There are exactly two series that are capable of turning me into a squealing fanboy (both of which have been mentioned in this post), and this one puts me in danger of adding a third slot to that list.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
This is a little off topic but I really wish they sold this on other places and that it was a real purchase and not just a rental. PSN charges like $4-$5 just to rent this show. To me thats a horrible horrible horrible price.

Death Note was on Direct2Drive and it was $2 for a permanent copy and I purchased all of them. Partly because I loved the show and partly because at only $2 a week it was easy to spend far more over time than I would have been willing to spend at once on a boxset. Xamd is a show i'd never buy on DVD (I don't buy DVDs now that I'm aware HD formats exist and i've actually seen the show in HD) but I would gladly pay $2-$4 a week for a permanent version of the copy on PSN.
Quote:
The opening theme, "Shut Up and Explode" by Boom Boom Satellites (Appleseed, Vexille - 2077 Isolation of Japan), is available for digital download from iTunes, Amazon, and other stores today.

I checked and its not on Amazon.com download store yet. Not the US one at least.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
This is a little off topic but I really wish they sold this on other places and that it was a real purchase and not just a rental. PSN charges like $4-$5 just to rent this show. To me thats a horrible horrible horrible price.

Death Note was on Direct2Drive and it was $2 for a permanent copy and I purchased all of them. Partly because I loved the show and partly because at only $2 a week it was easy to spend far more over time than I would have been willing to spend at once on a boxset. Xamd is a show i'd never buy on DVD (I don't buy DVDs now that I'm aware HD formats exist and i've actually seen the show in HD) but I would gladly pay $2-$4 a week for a permanent version of the copy on PSN.
Quote:
The opening theme, "Shut Up and Explode" by Boom Boom Satellites (Appleseed, Vexille - 2077 Isolation of Japan), is available for digital download from iTunes, Amazon, and other stores today.

I checked and its not on Amazon.com download store yet. Not the US one at least.

I completely agree. I looked into buying it yesterday, and found out it was only a freaking rental. 4 bucks for a one episode rental?? That totals to $96 to rent the complete two seasons!! No thanks, Sony.

If it ever comes out for download to own at a reasonable price, I'm all over this. It's good to hear such positive reviews of a new show, especially since I'm a big fan of BONES and their work.
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Now if Sony were to release it in America and Europe on Blu-ray (no region codes), we'd be set.

Oh wait, that would require intelligence.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I love that song, Boom Boom Satellites are awesome!

The show is great from what I've seen! Animation is good!

I'm sure Sony will release it on blu-ray once the show has finished on PSN. Hell it would be nice is Sony had the video service in Canada too! I'd expect X'amd to remain PSN exclusive until their video store is rolled out in all significant regions. It's currently out in the US. It should be out soon in Japan... they expect Canada and Europe sometime next year. So I wouldn't expect it for awhile... but who knows? One thing's for certain and that some day it will be out on blu-ray and DVD.
Type_Elite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
I think I read or saw some were that Japan and the U.S. have the same Blu-Ray region
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2