• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey: Cosplay

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you visit any online cosplay communities? If so, which one(s) ?

An option of "Other(s)" should be included. There are way more than just five online cosplay communities on the Internet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I voted that I don't cosplay at all. Anime takes up too much money to be spending it on dressing up as a fictional character. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kittykatstargal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I only cosplayed once but it was tons of fun. I just bought my costume (schoolgirl Rukia from Bleach) and had a blast. It was fun to bump into other Bleach cosplayers and we'd all take pictures together.

Not interested in it enough to devote time making one, or spend tons of money on it though. But I might buy another costume later in the future.

[EDIT: Please stick to standard-colored text. Other colors are acceptable if you want to emphasize words or phrases, but do not put entire posts in hard-to-read colors.~Zalis]
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I strongly disliked dressing up even for Halloween, so I don't exactly have any interest whatsoever in trying to look like some random animated character now. Razz
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

An option of "Other(s)" should be included. There are way more than just five online cosplay communities on the Internet.

There's an open text box to add others... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
What a coincidence, I actually took a break from working on cosplay to answer this survey Razz And now that I'm forced to actually look up how much money I spent on it this year....geez o.o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
This year was my first year cosplaying, and I had a ton of fun! This year I had some time constraints that meant I mostly had to pay someone else to make my costumes--next year I'm hoping to do at least some of it myself. It was SUCH a fun experience and made it that much easier to talk to people--I even got a little bonus note on one of my autographs since one of the voice actors recongized my costume.

So yeah. Totally doing it again next year, and I'm hoping to do more elaborate costumes. And just...more in general.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
maichips

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I cosplayed for the first time with some friends at our first con this year. I got pretty lucky because my parents bought my wig as a birthday present, which knocked down the price by $30. The whole costume would've been about $100 dollars if they hadn't bought that for me... Hopefully they'll be as willing for my next cosplay(s). Anime smile;;;
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I've cosplayed before, but I would like to try it again. I do it just for fun, which I think is better than putting too much time in preparing for the cosplay and not enough time on everything else.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Halloween is coming and I think I'm going to be haruhi but other than that I doubt I'll be doing much cosplay.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
There's an open text box to add others... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Wasn't there when I submitted my first post... Anime dazed but thanks anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
I wasn't sure what to answer for the first and second questions. I answered yes for the first question, but I'm not sure if that's right because I've only costripped (I wore a costume, but have not joined a cosplay competition yet) so far. The term costrip may be just limited to where I'm from, so I picked yes anyway.

For the second I chose the second option, "Buy them ready made", but that's not quite right either because I have my costumes specially made for me. Again, that's usually the case in my country. Most, if not all, have their costumes made by tailors/seamstresses here.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, that was one of the quickest surveys I've completed in quite a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
I can design my own costumes, I just have other people make them. ^^;;;
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Wasn't there when I submitted my first post... Anime dazed but thanks anyway.

Although I did make some phrasing changes after launching the survey, the answers are unchanged; that option was there from the very beginning. Perhaps you didn't see it, or perhaps some sort of bug or glitch made it not render for you.

I only entered 3 options (Cosplay.com, risingsun.net and cosplaylab.com), so if you saw 5, the next two had been entered by other readers before you.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2