• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are the best anime coverage sites?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splintersoup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
I am having a hard time finding an Anime website or blog that has good coverage on news, new releases, and reviews besides Animenewsnetwork, which at first glance seems like a lot to take in.

Most sites seem poorly designed and unorganized, or focus only on a small group of shows. And since Newtype is done, and I don't have many friends that big into Anime, I am having a hard time finding a site with good recommendations.

I have decided to post this question to the people and fans who frequent this site, who obviously have better knowledge of the Anime scene than I do

I've been mostly focused on games for the longest time and have no problem finding dependable sites like Kotaku, 1up, IGN, GameTrailers, and Gamespot, but haven't found the Anime equivalent of those sites yet.

Any Help would be awesome guys.

My Favorites: Ghost in the Shell, Genshiken, Gunslinger Girl, Berserk, Eiken Club, Girls Bravo, DBZ, Golden Boy, Gantz, Hellsing, Trigun, Ergo Proxy, Death Note. Mostly Mainstream Anime.

[EDIT: Tweaked your title to be a little more specific. -TK]
shogun22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Latest news, I just stick to this site, since they post some of the latest Japanese anime news in english...

Other Reviews? ...you can check Anime Pulse Podcast (you can stream their review episodes)

Blogs? Random Curiosity seems ok...

Overall, this site is very helpful, I believe many blogs and some anime sites also get their news from Animenewsnetwork.

Last edited by shogun22 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
splintersoup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks!

I love discovering a new series that is lesser known and finding out its awesome, but there is so much selection out there today that I don't know where to start. Since i'm a sucker for cool art and animation, looking at screens of a new series in 2008 wont really help me at all since everything looks so good now adays.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
For anime recommendations, I'm a huge fan of anime-planet.com's Anime Recommendation Database. It has recommendations voted by users along the lines of "If you like this series, you might like this other series". Here's the page for recommendations for fans of Death Note.

You probably won't always agree with the recommendations, but people are required to give a reason when they vote, so it's helpful to see why a series might be recommended.

For anime news, though, I don't really know a better site besides ANN. I'd be interested in finding out about other ones...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
I find The Meta Anime Review Project to be a good source for reviews compiled from various sources. Sometimes the results are a little unexpected, but it does help me decide what I want to watch next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
For anime recommendations, I'm a huge fan of anime-planet.com's Anime Recommendation Database. It has recommendations voted by users along the lines of "If you like this series, you might like this other series"...

You probably won't always agree with the recommendations, but people are required to give a reason when they vote, so it's helpful to see why a series might be recommended.

The biggest problem with Anime-Planet's recommendations is that it is human-moderated, meaning that it's not the users, but the moderators who end up deciding what is recommended or not.

Zin5ki wrote:
I find The Meta Anime Review Project to be a good source for reviews compiled from various sources. Sometimes the results are a little unexpected, but it does help me decide what I want to watch next.

What I don't like about this Rotten Tomatoes of anime (as they state on their about section) is that there so few anime reviewers from credible sources that even ANN's user rating system ends up being more efficient than this one.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
I read the news on ANN and Anime Nation and that seems to cover things just fine. I do find it rather difficult to find decent reviews though. ANN is excellent but the things they review tend to be very erratic. A ton of stuff doesn't get reviewed or does so long after release. (Not that I'm blaming them, I know there is a ton of stuff.) Other than that, I find reviews are mostly either far to brief or amateurish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1