• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I wanna be an anime director... but I'm American.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowgyrl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm You probably should try and learn some japanese but other than that I recommend like others have said getting degrees in filmography. Its very possible though, if it is any help you could look up the director of an anime movie called Tekknokinkreet, as I recall he is particularly interesting because like you he wanted to direct anime films and he wasnt japanese. He was an American who moved to japan after grad school I would suggest trying to find out what kind of degrees ect. he got in college to help build your dreams[/i]
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hi, Im studying film and creative writing at university in the UK at the moment and im thinking about also going to japan in the future...far off future that is to learn about the culture and basically broaden my horizons. Thats my current dream; just to travel over there one day and be part of something different. I think its great to have big aspirations such as your own but i would say this. Dont limit yourself to one aim or goal at this moment in time. Like many people on here have said, what you are planning is very difficult and requires a massive amount of time and energy to get any where. just learning the language and culture has got to be at least 10 years worth of hard graft in itself and although i study film and creative writing at the moment, im not planning on doing anything big with film if i do anything at all. Im just going where my interests and skills take me. I wanted to be a soldier and i went straight for that goal only to have health issues pull me out later. so now,Im in the postion where I've got to think about what i want to do with my self again which is an issue as i had only set my targets on one goal and didn't think ahead to doing anything else. Take everything in little steps, theres no point asking about getting in touch with anime directors now when you haven't got the other essetials in order. You will have to take quite a biased course to go down the road you want to go on and that will limit you in the furtue if you decide that its not for you so dont go straight for the balls right away.

Dean
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'd say your best bet would be to get in to animation and maybe try to revive the US animation industry. I wouldn't say it's impossible for you, as an American, to make it to a reasonable position in the Anime industry. I do feel pretty safe in saying that it is quite unlikely though.

Either that or "modernize" the current US animation industry -- and -- parallel Japan's. It's one way to go about it. Not sure if the US has a sizable market to do something like that though.

After all, still are plenty in this country who either oppose or simply do not support anime in any shape or form -- just because it isn't US produced.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Just to inform folks- about 8 or so episodes of the 90's Batman animated series had animation produced by Sunrise. Apart from that they weren't really tied to any Japanese studio and had a fair amount of just US production. I think that was more a case of "whatevers cheap and convienient".

Just go off and study film, as others have suggested, and I guess learn Japanese too. You never know- through the study you go through, you'll either find that your ideas could be suited to more accessable media (no offense, but your idea so far sounds like thousands of others. ), or that you'll look back on it and be ashamed of how much of a stupid kid you were, with stupid kid ideas (not saying you are, just... kekekekeke)

I WAN DREKT ANIMES

By the way, Michael Arias was more or less a fluke in regards to being able to direct Tekkon Kinkreet. From what I recall, he searched for and pitched the idea for the movie to countless Japanese directors and US production studios, before managing to convince his friends and friggin Studio 4c, of all places, to let him do it (not to say he wasnt capable, because he was, but I want to guess that it was equal parts talent and knowing the right people that helped him with that)
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
By the way, Michael Arias was more or less a fluke in regards to being able to direct Tekkon Kinkreet. From what I recall, he searched for and pitched the idea for the movie to countless Japanese directors and US production studios, before managing to convince his friends and friggin Studio 4c, of all places, to let him do it (not to say he wasnt capable, because he was, but I want to guess that it was equal parts talent and knowing the right people that helped him with that)

Well yes, but that's the point ... he was already living in Japan and working more closely with anime studios than probably any other American filmmaker when he pitched the Tekkonkinkreet movie.

That's not a fluke, that's doing what you need to do with your career and life to reach your goals.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Try contatacting Jan Scott Frazier, who literally started from scratch moving to Japan to study being an anime-tor and eventually being a director.

There's also this animator Justin Leach who used to work for Blue Sky Studios of Ice Age fame then moved to Production IG and worked on Mamoru Oshii's film, becoming the first full-time foreigner there.
MrVince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
With all due respect, asking for career advice on an internet message board is generally not a good idea.

He's asking for advice and not step-by-step directions of what to do.

I think with more western investment coming into anime, there will be a time in the future when these investors will start pushing for more American interaction with the storyline to make it more suitable to western tastes. I'd agree with the people here. Study Japanese and make sure to study Japanese film! Japanese literature might be great too.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:
He's asking for advice and not step-by-step directions of what to do.

I think with more western investment coming into anime, there will be a time in the future when these investors will start pushing for more American interaction with the storyline to make it more suitable to western tastes. I'd agree with the people here. Study Japanese and make sure to study Japanese film! Japanese literature might be great too.

Though I may have to ask - why must it be Japanese? Though, I'll have to say - American movie and TV productions haven't been all what they're cracked up to be. I've tuned out both Hollywood and TV.

So, yea. I'll have to agree now. Go to Japan and learn their ways. Then come back to the US and produce anime. Then hope to completely whip American media into shape. Now, that's a HUGE order.
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
You can find some American, anime-style artists, and produce an anime-style animation in America yourself.

I say "you can," because I did this myself.

I contacted local universities, posted to their job boards, interviewed a bunch of students, and hired some of them. We followed the 2D system, drawing and inking on paper, then scanning into the computer for coloring and compositing. We produced a short film that was shown at Otakon 2 years ago.

It was time-consuming, but what dream isn't?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
BrentNewhall wrote:
We produced a short film that was shown at Otakon 2 years ago.

Interesting. I'd like to see it. Very Happy
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
BrentNewhall wrote:
We produced a short film that was shown at Otakon 2 years ago.

Interesting. I'd like to see it. Very Happy

I doubt it. Wink Didn't turn out very well.

Our second short film would've been awesome, but I ran out of cash and just took too many wrong turns in the production.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Look man, learning Japanese is not a priority at this point. This is only, and only if you are looking to maek your way high up into the anime business.

If you are only looking to become an anime director, than you will HAVE to head to film school. This is the way many voice directors such as Karl Willems(Involved With Death Note) and Christopher Sabat, who was heavily involved with the production, acting, and directing of DBZ. They did not know Japanese, but had background in Film.

First get a degree in Film, so you don't have to rally only on anime gigs to rake in your income. Of course, you will need to take a couple of courses on anime voice acting, so that you will be able ot direct you actors, and tell them what you want out of them. I assume you already have a somewhat solid background in anime, and that will make it an easier enviroment to work in.

This is all a big IF, beacsue Lord knows that getting into this industry is one hard task. You have a lot of work in front of you, but there is no need to move to Japan and immerse yourself in thier culture for years. No, thats ridiculous. First work up a repsectable backgrround, and learning some Japanese wouldn't hurt your chances of achieving your dream. Remember, life is to short to be doing something that you don't enjoy; so go for your dream, and if all else fails at leats you can tell yourself you gave it your all.

Alas, if you really intend on going for this career, you have one long road ahead of you, and I wish you luck. Smile [/b]
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Watashi wa Ryuzaki wrote:
If you are only looking to become an anime director, than you will HAVE to head to film school.

(snip)

First get a degree in Film, so you don't have to rally only on anime gigs to rake in your income.

A friend of mine tried that route, and found that film school doesn't teach you how to make movies. Formal education is often not worth the time and expense.

I made my animations without ever attending film school.
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
You will hardly get any internships or any serious recongnition if you don't have any formal education in a film school. That's just fact.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Watashi wa Ryuzaki wrote:
You will hardly get any internships or any serious recongnition if you don't have any formal education in a film school. That's just fact.

Yeah, it's silly but often the reason to get an education is not to actually learn anything. Its just to get a degree which is kinda like a stamp of approval. It says: "Hey, this accredited institution said I'm qualified". Without that, they aren't going to be willing to take a risk and give you a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6