• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newbie in need of some advice!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
step

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:24 am Reply with quote
Well i'm new here (it's my 1st post) and have been into anime for a while (started out when i was 11 with Venus Wars) but have recently gotten back into anime after a 4 year abscene due to university constraits (and living in the UK there's a real lack of anime releases until i discovered importing anime dvd). Anyway i've recently been catching up again and have recently purchased the following anime series's on DVD:
Cowboy Bebop - The Perfect Sessions (Limited Edition Complete Series Boxed Set) :D
Escaflowne - The Series (Limited Edition Boxed Set)

Also I have Trigun - The Complete Boxed Set and Tenchi Muyo - OAV DVD Boxed Set's comming in the post.

I loved Bebop and have just finished watching Escaflowne. Now my problem is where do i go from here?
I've been looking around the net at reviews of various different anime movies and series's and i don't know what to get after these. So I thought i'd seek some advice here on this board (you all seemed extremely knowlegable).
So whats your advice on what the best anime series and movies are?
Any and all advice is welcome, thanks in advance!
step

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:37 am Reply with quote
oh yeah i forgot that i've also got a subbed copy of Hellsing
1-13 and i'm watching the Neon Genesis Evangelion and Nadesico on the Sci-Fi channel here in the UK (although i'll probably end up buying those on DVD as well).
Suggestions on what else is "must have" anime are welcome.
thanks
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, since you liked Bebop, you might like Outlaw Star. It's still got that "space pirate" kinda theme going with it.

I don't know about a "must have" list since everyone's preferences are different, but here's a list of some of the more "known" titles:

Akira
Ghost In The Shell
Vampire Hunter D

umm...I'm having a brain fart now. If you tell us a lil more about what kinda stuff you like (comedy, drama, mecha....), we can probably give a few more titles Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
step

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Well what's your favourite anime? There are so many diverse opinions that formulating a "best ever" list will never be exactly the same (which is a credit to the broad range of anime available). All you can do is state what you personally like and why and thats what i'm looking for.
Your opinions are welcome!
Judau

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with Cassandra's list, start with that, nice and cheap stuff compared to series. SOunds like you have not seen a whole lot of mecha stuff (Except some of Eva and kinda Ecaflowne...), but if you want to, the obvious choices would be Gundam and Macross. That is great that Sci-Fi has Eva and Nadesico over there, they don;t even show anime anymore in the US... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TheAngstyKiller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:45 pm Reply with quote
If you don't mind a little digital enhancement in your giant robots, check out Vandread and Full Metal Panic. They're both entertaining, but Full Metal Panic hasn't been officially released yet.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:29 pm Reply with quote
My list of favorites:

GunSmith Cats
Sailor Moon
Armitage III (both of them)
Blue Seed
Battle Angel (though this is out of print)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Here you go...
If you like Sci-fi: Gundam 0083, Macross Plus, Gundam Wing, Gundam 08 MS Team, Bubble Gum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (If you order from Amazon.com, I believe it is 80 bucks for the whole series)
Now Cassandra mentioned Gunsmith Cats, That is also very excellent if you like action (plus it takes place in my hometown!)
Now if you like some funny anime, ALot of people swear by Excel Saga (Which I have not seen yet, so ask the rest of the crew what they think). BUT you cannot go wrong with Ranma 1/2 and GTO
Now for movies, Ghost in the Shell is superb, So are both Patlabor movies
step

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:13 am Reply with quote
Anything with a strong story and an intriging plot will make it onto my watch list regardless of its genre. I've seen quite a bit on most peoples list's (before my moritorium on anime) like battle angel alita, the patlabor movies, vampire hunter d (not the new 1 yet though), princess mononoke etc mainly due to the sci-fi channel here in the uk which shows an anime movie and 3 series each week (shadow skill and Gunbuster where recently on along with blue gender, nadesico, neon genesis) and has a weekly 2 hour show called Saiko-Exciting which is devoted to everything japanese inc
new J-Pop and anime of course and some very funny set peices like sorigami (origami but with people getting paper cuts every week). If you live in the United Kingdom it's a definate watch (it's on Sundays at 12 noon for 2 hours).
I thought that there would be a ton of anime on US tv given how much you get released over there on dvd compared to the UK which mainly sees just movies and not many series.
What anime is currently on tv in the US? just curious.
TheAngstyKiller

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:59 am Reply with quote
Cartoon Network is currently running Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Gundam 0083 on Adult Swim, saturdays beginning at 11pm. On weekdays around 4-6pm they show anything from Zoids, Tenchi, Gundam, and DBZ, with the occasional full length movie or OVA series thrown in on fridays. You occasionally see anime on the Action channel, which is pretty much a mixed bag of new/old sci-fi/action shows and movies. They even showed Metropolis yesterday Very Happy
darkstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Now I haven't seen nearly as much anime as some, but I have some favorites to share:

Robotech/Macross
Silent Mobius
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin (haven't seen all of it yet - the series is rather long & has at least 3 major story arcs)
You're Under Arrest!
Cardcaptor Sakura
Magic User's Club
Yoroiden Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors
Gatchaman

Also love Escaflowne, which you've seen & am getting interested in Inu Yasha. Have seen a few others & I'm sure I've forgotten a few from my childhood, but that ought to give you a few more suggestions. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sahara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:11 pm Reply with quote
You should try everything Hayao Miyazaki did-and anything with Yoko Kanno as the musician. I recommend
Vampire Princess Miyu
Fushigi Yuugi
Please Save My Earth
Blue Seed
Trigun

If there is an anime club nearby they will help you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1