• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa USA Announces Six New Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:

You may not want to think about it, but there are different tiers when looking at a title that have nothing to do with the overall quality of the show. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated well when they're brought over, but reality says not all shows are going to make the same amount of money and therefore a C tier title probably won't get the pretty gilded box with all the physcial extras that an A tier title will.

Well, let me say this: a poor work is a poor work no matter if the title is A, B, or C in this (questionable) scale. And if they treat let's say, Spice and Wolf, as a C title (and they'll probably do like that), they'll never see my money.
I worked in a EU anime company years ago, and I criticized the attitude, which ended in said titles selling even less due to the fact that it seemed that the publisher didn't care: and I think my point still stands today.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
It's a sad reality, but that's business for you.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's a sad reality, but that's business for you.

This sentence actually doesn't mean anything.
If that's the "sad reality" I'll simply not buy (already decided for Spice and Wolf since I'm getting R2 as there is no info on release and content, as I said).
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Very cool! I am looking forward to Wagaya and Rental Magica being released myself!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Getting back to the original point of the article, it can only be a good thing to get more and more such titles licensed to the U.S. Reading through all these postings it seems a little premature to worry about whether a given title is subtitled or dubbed or dubtitled or all of them at once.

I am surprised. but very happy, that the licenses even occurred. It makes me feel hopeful that I could someday hold a legal R1 copy of Rental Magica or Wolf and Spice or H20 in my hands.

Such optimism is worth double in the current pessimistic economic climate nowadays too. It would not be that outlandish to think licensors would want to wait until the American market (in general) appeared a little stronger than it is now.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Ditto JYB playing Lawrence, by the way. I don't think he'd be a good fit at all.
I dunno. JYB has attained Morgan Freeman status in my eyes.

He's in everything.

Confused

I think you mean "JYB has attained Samuel L. Jackson status in my eyes."
Though, it's possible people draw the comparison to the one they do like, rather than the one they don't like. I happen to like Morgan Freeman, so I would make that comparison since I also like JYB, but I'm not sure what your intent is by that comment.

On topic, it's nice that titles are still being licensed, but none of these appealed to me even for free... I think I watched a few minutes of Rental Magica and Spice and Wolf... and not even the first ep of any of the others... so, they can do whatever they want with them... release them trilingual for the hell of it. Don't forget the Spanish language track, or you might get sued by the ever-growing *population*.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Wolf and Spice for R1 this soon? Heck yeah, that would be awesome!
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It [Spice and Wolf] is a slice-of-life title about trading in the Middle Ages and the relationship between the 2 main characters. It's a nice title but it's a niche and whoever gets it needs to release it in season set fashion sub only. It has Nozomi (Right Stuf) written all over it.

I still can't agree, and for one big reason: set the economics aside and it's still a show about a normal human guy forming a relationship with a cute supernatural girl. That kind of series does sell, and that status will, I believe, keep it from being too much of a niche title. And it's got the furry thing going for it, too. Wink

Also, the distinctly Western medieval setting gives the series a shot at appealing to non-anime (or borderline anime) fans who are otherwise into the Middle Ages and/or fantasy content - provided the series has a dub. Based on that and other factors, I'm firmly convinced that S&W's sales could benefit more from having a dub than any other series in this group, and sufficiently to justify making a dub. Whether or not it's more suited to individual or whole-series DVD releases (given the way the market is evolving right now) is a separate issue that I have less firm opinions about.

On another issue: given that Kadokawa is holding the licenses (normally the most expensive part of importing anime titles to the U.S.), a team-up with them seems on the surface like a good opportunity for ADV to get more solidly moving back in the right direction. I'd be surprised if both parties aren't at least considering it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Ditto JYB playing Lawrence, by the way. I don't think he'd be a good fit at all.
I dunno. JYB has attained Morgan Freeman status in my eyes.

He's in everything.

Confused

I think you mean "JYB has attained Samuel L. Jackson status in my eyes."
Though, it's possible people draw the comparison to the one they do like, rather than the one they don't like. I happen to like Morgan Freeman, so I would make that comparison since I also like JYB, but I'm not sure what your intent is by that comment.
Lol, I'll give you the Samuel L. Jackson comparison.

Eh, it's not like I dislike them, it's just, "Oh my God, he's in this one too?!"
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Really? Then I will more then likely like the anime for some reason when it comes to anime I seem to like the more fluffy cute stuff instead of the more hardcore stuff. Well actually I like both but I find the hardcore stuff is usually better in Manga then anime. Also not every anime has to be like SP...not that I don't like that one because I do, but I find that with anime BL is better then Yaoi. I am weird I guess. So I for one will be picking this title up, unless the art is really ugly.

I agree. I like the less explicit stuff for anime aswell. I find the more explicit anime to be kind of funny actually, which is probably why I go for the fluff in the anime instead Anime hyper!
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:
Really? Then I will more then likely like the anime for some reason when it comes to anime I seem to like the more fluffy cute stuff instead of the more hardcore stuff. Well actually I like both but I find the hardcore stuff is usually better in Manga then anime. Also not every anime has to be like SP...not that I don't like that one because I do, but I find that with anime BL is better then Yaoi. I am weird I guess. So I for one will be picking this title up, unless the art is really ugly.

I agree. I like the less explicit stuff for anime aswell. I find the more explicit anime to be kind of funny actually, which is probably why I go for the fluff in the anime instead Anime hyper!

Yes and I also find that well I usually want to share and watch these anime with my friends and well it would be kind of akward if I pulled out SP..so yeah I think that is why I like the cute, fluffy ones, and with Manga I like the more hardcore stuff. Then again my all time two favorite manga titles are fluffy titles as well.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
You're thinking too narrowly and you're trying to use fansubs as a scapegoat, while not understanding that they don't have the money to gamble on something that isn't likely to be that one surprise hit.

Gosh, either you people are getting desperate, or your reading comprehension is subpar. Because I said no such thing. But at this point, it's not even worth it. Intentionally or unintentionally your being specifically obtuse. You seem to think I think everything should be dubbed. But that goes back to that whole comprehension thing. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hmmm. Kadokawa USA want to release their anime in the USA, but don't have a distributor. ADV is a distributor in the USA, but doesn't have much to distribute these days. What's missing from this equation? Hmmm.....What's missing from this equation?

Actually it looks like they're distributed by several companies & pretty much go with dubs. I don't have FMP 2nd Raid Or Melancholy Hyped to Death so I'll wait for the box if I buy it, but I do have The Third which was distributed by Nozomi.
ADV doesn't seem to play well with others. THey left Geneon in the cold. There seemed to be issues on both sides of the Newtype deal. There have been comments ADV drove the prices for licenses up & they've come down now things have settled somewhat

DmonHiro wrote:

Junjou Romantica: dub+sub - no chance, sub only - 50%

This is just my personal opinion, but some of these titles have such a small fanbase (who most likely won't buy) that it does not justify the cost of a dub, even a really bad one. Sucks for dub-fans but....I don't care about them so whatever.

Oh, and about the split opinions of Junjou, welll...duhhh: Guys - "Gross, goddamn gays", Girls: "Waahhh......hot boy on boy"...get the picture?

Actually a lot of guys I've talked to enjoy shojo & yaoi if they can get past their whole macho programing. Until the whole moe thing took over, I enjoyed jiggle like Burn Up Excess or Saber Marionette because it was funny & yaoi also has a lot of humor if one is sticking with the light stuff like Junjyo. The dirtiest part of the manga (as released here) so far has been those novels Akihiko's been writing & Misaki's reactions are damned funny.
Yaoi (BL in Japan actually) isn't really differentiated in Japan between the hard stuff & the mild stuff. Both types seem to run in the same zines over there (yaoi & shonen ai as people over here like to define it).
Guys seem to have this image all yaoi is guys having sex, but in Japan the current moniker is BL-Boys Love. THey're basically shojo romance stories with 2 guys. There is actual Men's Love also with beefy construction guys I assume is aimed at the homosexual community (as I discovered to my horror jumping around over at Amazon Japan following the links (kanji. I don't read Japanese, so I was clicking pix) & wound up on page after page of that stuff. Or maybe there is a large market of gals into muscle men in Japan.

A lot of light BL (the stuff people call shonen ai here) only goes as far as kissing. If guys can get past that they can enjoy a lot of yaoi anime because we really get more PG-13 than R yaoi anime

Last edited by CCSYueh on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
ADV doesn't seem to play well with others. THey left Geneon in the cold.

Everything I've heard indicates that ADV was not the one to blame in that incident; it was all Dentsu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
ADV doesn't seem to play well with others. THey left Geneon in the cold.

Everything I've heard indicates that ADV was not the one to blame in that incident; it was all Dentsu.

There were comments bandied about a few days before the deal fell apart that indicated ADV was making a U-Turn (ADV insiders reported here, wasn't it?) on the decision. My personal theory was ADV inspected at their own house while deciding if they could afford the Geneon deal & discovered a leaky roof or something because the Newtype & Sojitz thing all seemed to follow fast on that decision. Was it Funi or MB that commented the price of licenses had dropped with ADV taking a lower profile because they & Geneon had been driving the price up (although I found the Geneon comment strange because I always thought they were just optioning titles Geneon owned in Japan but whatever). I don't like to deal in stereotypes, but ADV has always sort of come off as the rich Texas Oilman, throwing money around, doing everything big. Not that it really bugged me. I thought it insane when they bragged about licensing 50 manga all at once considering they were an anime company & we all paid by most of those titles never finishing their run. I have every issue of Newtype USA, but that also seems to have been a drain on their pocketbook. THat anime network seems to have struggled to gain ground but never really made inroads & that really had to be a money drain. I never saw the sense in all the kiddie titles they licensed since anime's audience is teen & up overall (unless they were looking for the next Pokemon), although Legend of the Mystical Ninja was insane & Princess Tutu was interesting. I did grow disillusioned with them when they dropped Tactics & I was thrilled to death Manga picked it up, though I assume the dubtitles came from ADV & I also would have loved to see the end of several of their manga titles.
However, they had several titles I was planning to buy box sets of from when they did box them (Red Garden, NHK,Sgt Frog) I do sort of see them as the last major supporter of the single dvd release as Funi, Bandai & Viz have started opting for box sets from the start of some titles (MB I mostly think of as smut so I expect to pay more for it. I know they have other stuff & I have a lot of it, but they're our yaoi company & I love them for it. They also bring us older & passed over titles so I also love them for that)

And now it's Funi being the big fish
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7