• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club -- Kino's Journey.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Are we going to discuss the episode about the Country of Tower at some point? I would have thought if we did it would be at the start rather than the end, as it is somewhat of a preview for the series.
Those of us who've acquired the two films and episode 0 can always discuss them after we're through the normal episodes since there's no chronological order. I've been saving the last film for awhile now and it would make a nice finale after watching the series again.
skyfishing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
This series had a great first couple of episodes. I normally want a plethora of action in my anime titles but with this series there seems to be a very great ballance. Episode number 2 is one of my favorites because its got a great insight into people. The other two episodes didn't really get me as pumped up but they still show some pretty interesting ideas

the series only gets better from here on out.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
In episode 2,

It was stupid of Kino to stop and help them for so long, she should've gave them a couple of days worth of meat and been on her way. spoiler[She may be a good philosopher Rolling Eyes , but it seems she is not very clever)]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
In episode 2,

It was stupid of Kino to stop and help them for so long, she should've gave them a couple of days worth of meat and been on her way. spoiler[She may be a good philosopher Rolling Eyes , but it seems she is not very clever)]

She's first and foremost a traveler, though. She wanted to learn all she could about them as people, and about their culture. I can't blame her. They were kind to her.

She enjoyed helping people and learning about them. In the end, she clearly wasn't happy about how things had turned out. She didn't accept the ring partly because she knew where it had come from, but mostly I think it was due to guilt, that she couldn't change these people through kindness anymore than she could change a rabbit from fearing predators or a wolf from being one. She can't accept any reward from the wolves.

It's very sad, but I don't think it was wrong of her to hang around if she didn't sense much danger. And why would she have until the end? (Although their hesitance about mentioning their "stock" was a big tipoff, I'll admit. Still not damning evidence.)
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Alestal wrote:
In episode 2,

She's first and foremost a traveler, though. She wanted to learn all she could about them as people, and about their culture. I can't blame her. They were kind to her.

She enjoyed helping people and learning about them. In the end, she clearly wasn't happy about how things had turned out. She didn't accept the ring partly because she knew where it had come from, but mostly I think it was due to guilt, that she couldn't change these people through kindness anymore than she could change a rabbit from fearing predators or a wolf from being one. She can't accept any reward from the wolves.

It's very sad, but I don't think it was wrong of her to hang around if she didn't sense much danger. And why would she have until the end? (Although their hesitance about mentioning their "stock" was a big tipoff, I'll admit. Still not damning evidence.)
You'd think an experienced traveler would be more wary.. If she wanted to learn more about them she should've searched their truck when she first met them.. its kill or be killed. Naturally hungry travelers with little resources would jump at the chance of easy transportation/money/food or anything else they could get off her.

Maybe she learned her lesson?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, she isn't a very experienced traveler, you're absolutely right. But we'll learn more about that later. She's really just trying to become her own person by learning about other people's ways of life.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, she isn't a very experienced traveler, you're absolutely right. But we'll learn more about that later. She's really just trying to become her own person by learning about other people's ways of life.
I thought she'd been doing this for a while, their were several hints to that..

But thats another charateristic of this series, it moves very slow.Little has been explained so far for a 13 episode series. I hope they dont slam us with too much information later in the series!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Related to episode two - I think the reason Kino stopped to help those people was mentioned by herself: she would have liked the same thing to happen to her in case she would find herself in a similar situation. Of course that would have meant a respect for her privacy and the helper should respect this and therefore not search through her things. I think this is why she also doesn't look through their truck - in an attempt to respect that every person has the right to intimacy. I was surprised when I watched the episode that things turned out the way they did but I found the ending to be more troubling when Hermes asks Kino if she would act in the same manner after what happened and she doesn't answer the question. It's almost as saying "no good deed remains unpunished".

LL Kuze DC17 wrote:

Quote:
It's really ironic in Ep1 how they made it super easy to communicate and understand each other but in doing that, they made it so that privacy is pretty much gone.

In sort of the same way, Cell phones and wireless technology including the Internet make it so that anyone can have contact with virtually anyone anywhere in the world within seconds (or minutes), yet now that we have all this text messaging and Skype and stuff... no one has much to say.... so it's kind of ironic, but for somewhat a different reason.

I think that here there's a double problem approached: on the one hand we all had at least once wished to read somebody else's thoughts in the attempt to understand that particular person. We tend to think that if we would do that, all the problems would be solved. I think I had said at least once in my life "I wished I knew what you were thinking". On the other hand there has been said many times not only in philosophy but also in literature the fact that language is incomplete (as it is also stated in the episode), imperfect, subjective. For instance there have been feminist literary critics that have said that there's only a male language and therefore it is impossible for women to express their feelings and emotions through such a language.

I think that in the end the message of episode one is that we all have the right to intimacy, to have our own secrets, our own pleasures or pains and whether we share them with the others or not is a matter of choice. Also that particular love story was distroyed by their desire to read the minds and communicate everything. Perfect communication isn't possible and maybe we shouldn't bergain for more than we can handle.

LL Kuze DC17 wrote:

Quote:
I found episode 3 quite sad... not because the city was sad, but because of that poem and how it made everyone extremly depressed. But what made it worse was the other city attacking it simply because they thought the poem was some kind of bible.

I agree with Kina when she asks why everything someone says has to be interpreted. There have been times when I'd say something completely off the walls just to throw someone off and then they're sitting there tryiing to figure it out. In the end, the key is NOT to think about it too much.

But isn't quite common to see the things interpreted? I remember that during my first year at the uni I had as an asignment to compare the same news in different newspapers. It was very interesting to see that the same news was reported and understood in a different manner from one newspaper to another. Sometimes even the information related to it was different and the focus was shifted as well. This is what happens in episode 3 as well. We have at the beginning the people who have seen the end of the world coming in that prophecy book and they have tried to live according to it; then we find the city were the poem was created and how it affected those people (though I don't agree with that sort of remembering the past mistakes) and then coming to those men that were attacking the first city because again it was prophecized. I asked myself the same question that Hermes did: "Was the prophecy right or wrong?" In reality the same thing happens: a simple truth has different meanings in different societies.

What I found interesting in episode three was the city where they changed traditions according to the traveler, especially now in a contemporary discourse of globalization or multiculturalism or cosmopolitanism which paradoxically for many it means giving up to their traditions and accept new ones or creating new ones just like those people from the city. However changing the traditions according to the traveler was for those people a tradition per se though they failed to recognize it. I liked that part a lot. Very Happy
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Boy, how coincidental is it that the very first episode of this series ends up dealing with an issue I've been worried about myself as of late. Anime smile + sweatdrop

But yeah, it's really a nice thing to hear once in a while, the whole idea of how all these little things can get in the way of a good relationship between people sometimes, and how we sometimes pay way too much attention to them. Basically, I guess we as people can be way too much of perfectionists at times. Wink I just like the message that came from it though, about how we shouldn't have to expect anyone to know every last single thing we're thinking, and at the same time we shouldn't expect it out of ourselves. Basically, if you have something to say, just say it! And if you don't, then don't. Don't expect someone to automatically know every last single detail about you. In fact, relating to the main theme of "the world is ugly, therefore it is beautiful," in fact it's the very fact that we know so little about people that makes it all the more worthwhile. Wink

I think I'm already definitely seeing the different ways of this main theme being portrayed here. In this episode of course we've got it pertaining to "why can't I understand what so and so person is thinking" and now it looks like in this next episode, it'll be pertaining to the idea of "sometimes, for our own survival, we have to take the life of another being." This is definitely looking to be very interesting.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

But yeah, it's really a nice thing to hear once in a while, the whole idea of how all these little things can get in the way of a good relationship between people sometimes, and how we sometimes pay way too much attention to them. Basically, I guess we as people can be way too much of perfectionists at times. Wink I just like the message that came from it though, about how we shouldn't have to expect anyone to know every last single thing we're thinking, and at the same time we shouldn't expect it out of ourselves. Basically, if you have something to say, just say it! And if you don't, then don't. Don't expect someone to automatically know every last single detail about you. In fact, relating to the main theme of "the world is ugly, therefore it is beautiful," in fact it's the very fact that we know so little about people that makes it all the more worthwhile. Wink

I agree with you a lot on this one. And besides isn't a relationship based on compromises? At the beginning the man says that she was into growing flowers but he didn't like that much and she wasn't too fond of the music that he was listening to. Nonetheless when Kino left she observed that the man was growing flowers while the woman that he loved was listening to music. I think it says at the same time that we don't need to know eveything about that person and that imperfections makes us what we are. And also we shouldn't underestimate our power to make compromises in a relationship: we tend to like what we used not to or at least share an interest with the partener just because the latter enjoys it.
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

In fact, relating to the main theme of "the world is ugly, therefore it is beautiful," in fact it's the very fact that we know so little about people that makes it all the more worthwhile. Wink

I think you are taking the word "ugly" to be the figurative meaning of unknown, I honestly wouldn't waste my time trying to figure out what it means.. its a deliberate oxymoron. Probably meant to sound deep/meaningful when its just there to confuse you. They will probably explain what it means later in the series.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
  • Notice any key differences between the poet’s daughter and the current 14-year old girl? What does that reflect about the theme of the episode?

I thought the tone the daughter used when repeating the poem was harsher than the current girl, who seemed more to be simply repeating as just a collection of words. The daughter's recitation was an accusation, loaded with the meaning of the words, and an understanding of them that consumed her life. The country's creation of a tradition of having a young girl repeat the poem in sunrise to sunset in the manner of the poet is a pennance of sorts, but viewed by all as a burden or an irritation more than anything. The daughter was punishing the people of the country for turning a blind eye to her father. No one tried to help him when the king threatened him. No one tried to comfort him after his wife's suicide. They just wanted him to go away. What's more, they had ignored her completely. A four-year old girl who had essentially lost both parents, she wasn't even an afterthought until she replaced her father as the terrible voice that plagued them.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I agree with you a lot on this one. And besides isn't a relationship based on compromises? At the beginning the man says that she was into growing flowers but he didn't like that much and she wasn't too fond of the music that he was listening to. Nonetheless when Kino left she observed that the man was growing flowers while the woman that he loved was listening to music. I think it says at the same time that we don't need to know eveything about that person and that imperfections makes us what we are. And also we shouldn't underestimate our power to make compromises in a relationship: we tend to like what we used not to or at least share an interest with the partener just because the latter enjoys it.

Yes, a good relationship is indeed based on compromises. That's a good example with the scene showing the man growing flowers as well as the woman having said to be enjoying his music at one point. And of course also notice how she had been listening to the music before they drank the serum as well, and then stopped entirely after they did. Thing is it's virtually impossible to get 2 people together who are exactly 100% compatible at everything, personal interests and all. So what do you do with the percentage that you aren't compatible on? Compromise. Exactly. Wink I guess the way I see it you don't have to like some of the stuff your partner likes, but you have to at the very least put up with the fact that they do, even though you don't. That right there is a compromise in and of itself. But it definitely wouldn't hurt once in a while to at least give the other's interests a shot. You know, just let them have their way once in a while, and you can even have yours once in a while so long as you make sure you do the former as well. You never know, you may end up liking it. Wink And if you don't, that's okay, the other is just going to have to deal with it. Wink But in the end in the process you gain the ability to experience new things, and that's always a good thing. Hence the main theme: "this world is ugly, therefore beautiful." Wink

Alestal wrote:
I think you are taking the word "ugly" to be the figurative meaning of unknown

Yeah, pretty much. From hearing what others have said about the nature of this series, it seems to me like each new experience Kino has has something to do with a different form of "ugly," based off of what the general way society views something ugly to be. In this particular case, ugly is indeed the unknown, because there are a lot of people in this world who believe the unknown to be a negative thing, and pretty much are afraid of the unknown in the first place. But the beauty of tackling the unknown is that in the process, you gain more knowledge. Therefore, "this world is ugly, yet beautiful." Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Regarding relationships.....episode 1

You definetely hit a spot there and I completely agree with you. You explained better than me. Very Happy Thank you, kind sir! Very Happy

BrothersElric wrote:
Quote:
Alestal wrote:
Quote:
I think you are taking the word "ugly" to be the figurative meaning of unknown

Yeah, pretty much. From hearing what others have said about the nature of this series, it seems to me like each new experience Kino has has something to do with a different form of "ugly," based off of what the general way society views something ugly to be. In this particular case, ugly is indeed the unknown, because there are a lot of people in this world who believe the unknown to be a negative thing, and pretty much are afraid of the unknown in the first place. But the beauty of tackling the unknown is that in the process, you gain more knowledge. Therefore, "this world is ugly, yet beautiful." Wink

There is also another thing related to the title of this episode. There have been along time discussions and disputes on these concepts of beauty and ugliness. What actually means beauty? Or unglisness? It has been said that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (I think that this phrase has its origin in antique Greece, though I am not sure). Especially in literature these terms have been greately discussed. There were the classics that have considered that beauty should be the only source for poetry or any other literary creation. Not to mention in art. They were the ones who considered that the harmony is very much important and for many it was synoymous with beauty. Then there come the Romantics who believed that beauty can't be the only source of art and they created the grotesque. Then the modernists show up and say that ugliness is also a source of art and debate very much these concepts. What I am trying to say is that many times for some people one thing may appear beautiful while for others it may appear ugly. And therefore such a phrase like "The world is ugly, therefore it is beautiful" really stands and it might not be just something said to sound profound. I really haven't seen any pretence of Kino's Journey to be profound. I think that mostly it has the function of making individuals think and that is it. But I also like how BrothersElric has linked beauty with the unknown.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Quote:
What's more, they had ignored her completely. A four-year old girl who had essentially lost both parents, she wasn't even an afterthought until she replaced her father as the terrible voice that plagued them.

She hasn't been ignored just by the people from that city she has been ignored by her family as well. Her father was too happy and oblivious of what it meant to be in pain, till her mother decided to kill herself to teach her husband what unhapinness and sorrow mean. To me this gesture was paradoxically generous and selfish simultaneously: one the one hand generous because it helped her husband in understanding sorrow and therefore able to create art; on the other hand selfish because she didn't think that her daughter would be so lonely and what it might do to her life. The daughter was left alone and dragged along with her father, without knowing hapiness again. So when she decides to recite that poem again I think she also does it because if it would be forgotten than everything she endured (and her family as well) would be for nothing.

edit: I made such a dumb confusion, that for a moment there I thought I was completely stupid . I'm still ashamed of it. Embarassed

Last edited by aya_honda on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
'Kay. My thoughts on all three episodes and whatnot. (My fingers are gonna be in so much pain after this...) I'll just go based on the questions I posed at the beginning...

I've noted, and it's something that never changes throughout the show, that Kino's Journey is a very sorrowful series. There are heartwarming moments, but even they are always amongst tribulation. That's what the mantra "not beautiful, therefore beautiful" means to me. Without experiencing sorrow, you can't really know joy, or appreciate it fully without knowing what it cost to achieve it. That's why there's so much irony in the show, and why people love irony to begin with. It plays on what we think should be, and changes it to what truly is, whether that's happy or sad, and that spontaneity is what makes life, well, life. Even if it's painful, it's so worth living because of it. It's a not often understood kind of beauty, but I think it's the only kind of true beauty there is. Must be why I have such a strong taste for pathos.

In the desert, Hermes tells Kino that she needs experience to make it out on her own as a traveler, and she can only face ugliness if she doesn't turn back now. Kino disagrees with him, saying her luck is what will give her experience, making it all worthwhile. That's when the raincloud blows in and gives her some relief. (And makes Hermes pretty grumbly, I'd wager.) That's another illustration of the mantra, finding true joy in the few "lucky" escapes from hardship, rather than having a perfect, easy life with spots of inconvenience, which is probably how Kino lived with "the master." Her reasons for pursuing life as a traveler will become evident in the next four episodes...

The birds on the wing? Well, they're free, and they're unreachable. You can appreciate their carelessness to travel, but acknowledge that you'll never have that freedom yourself. So you journey anyway and envy the birds. Human nature, and the mantra again.

I thought it was interesting that the Land of Visible Pain was a country of shifting, moving landforms. The robotic automation was clearly to keep people away from each other, but the shifting land doesn't seem necessary, until you think of it this way. Part of the problem with the people wanting to understand each other's thoughts all the time is that someone's thoughts aren't even indicative of how they truly feel. Those two people loved each other deep within, but the their feelings SHIFTED all the time, causing extreme pain for each other. The map could not be relied upon because the land shifted so much. Neither person could understand the other because their day-to-day emotions and thoughts confused their true feelings for each other. That guy never played the song for his girl again because he was afraid she didn't like it. The end of this episode, however, lets us know that in her heart of hearts, she did.

Kino's three-day rule could have practical applications too, you may notice. Not getting too attached is one, but also to protect other's feelings, like the lonely man's, or to protect oneself, as in the case of episode 2. Kino was mentally and physically going down a dangerous path by staying with those men. Really, three days was too long.

There have been some great observations made about episode one so far, but I'm surprised no one picked up on the "seemingly" random conversation between Kino and Hermes at the end of the episode. Kino and the lonely man couldn't read each other's minds, and they didn't say anything to one another, but they were able to communicate a lot in only a look. The lonely man had complained that verbal language was insufficient to explain true feelings, but maybe, just maybe, there were other kinds of language he should have thought about before convincing himself mind-reading was the only way to know a person's heart. So much can be said without words.

"The snow falls, and hides things." It hides the animals from their predators, like rabbits and wolves, and it protected Kino, for a time, from the cannibalistic slave traders. It hid the kills of both parties, and in all cases, the harsh winter and need for companionship and survival was all that allowed those monsters to treat Kino like a queen. But they're "only human," so when the snow melts and it's business as usual, they return to their self-serving true selves, and Kino returns to being a callous traveler, defends herself, and speeds on her way. It's a brutal look at human nature, and not one I'd like to support, but I can't deny that there's a lot of validity to it.

The ring was at first a gift to Kino, but it was taken from someone else, one of the three men's human meals. Same with the belt to be given to one man's fiancee, and the flute to celebrate "survival." (I found that particularly sickening the second time around. Yeah. At who's expense?) Those material objects carried the same principle as Kino's comment about having to survive by living off the lives of others. Except in most cases, it's not that severe. It's like that in the business world, as well as the wild. At least they don't eat each other...

I was also initially disgusted with Kino's deliberation between the life of a rabbit and a human, until I understood that she had personal motives. It wasn't so much that she felt both had an equal right to live, (which they do, but a human life is a lot more important than a rabbit's if one has to go, so that evens the playing field,) but that she was afraid she was killing a creature for the wrong reasons. "A rabbit can't give me a fancy ring," she notes. It wasn't her meal, so why should she have to give someone else a meal? For the reward? She hated the idea, so she eventually decided that she would want to be saved in that position, so that would be her rationale. Which, when you think about it, is ALSO selfish reasoning, which only backs this episode's depressing assertion that human nature is basically self-motivated.

I guess I've already mentioned why surviving and enduring hardship in the three men's eyes becomes a perversion. Is survival, celebration, and endurance so valuable against several human lives? To them it was. This is almost an example of something beautiful turning ugly instead.

"Charity is not for the sake of others." I'll get personal on this one: I believe that. I believe people are very sinful, selfish creatures and charity is either motivated by boredom/convenience at best or side benefits at worst in many cases. Now, me being a Christian, I believe there's a way out of that line of thinking, and that's salvation, but you're still human, so being willing to have God work in your life is what makes kindness to others even at a cost to yourself a joyful experience and not a burden. Nothing in human nature supports that, but God's nature does, and if his spirit and will are your spirit and will, it makes you a happier...no, that's superficial...it will make you a more joyful person even if you are in hard times. "Not beautiful, yet beautiful."

I can't help but think the book of prophecy was just as bad taken at face value as it was to be interpreted. In the end, it didn't mean anything but an emotion, and that one power carried through ALL the interpretations. Diverse as they were, they all carried a connotation and result of sadness and pain. So interpretation is wonderful or foolish depending on one's depth of knowledge and lack of ego, but in this case, the true story of the book of prophecy basically had the same result: no good.

The traditions of the traditionless country are a nice breather in a sad episode, but what do they have to do with the rest of the episodes' themes? Well, I think it's just another demonstration of how radically something so simple can change all the time. There's little constancy in human nature, unlike biological nature. Kino notes this under the stars at the beginning of the episode. It is a tumultuous storm, and very little stays the same. Those people will never settle on one tradition to replace their lost culture...(But isn't that a tradition itself? Wink )

I think the poet's story is one of the worst kind of tragedies: one with no good stemming from it. The little bit of "beauty" we see in this portion of Kino's Journey is reserved for the traditionless country, I should think, because the rest of this is devoid of any good coming from one man's sorrow. His wife's decision, I'm confident, was foolish. I don't know if it was "good" (saving her husband's life) or "bad" (ruining it) but it was foolish. The reason something so terrible endured for so long is because the feeling could never stop spreading. When one person suffers, someone else will inevitably as well. From the poet it spread to the king, and then the poet's daughter, the town itself, the towns who foolishly considered his words prophecy, and ultimately, the town is destroyed by one man's sorrow when the military, led by the prophecy, destroys it. That's a tragedy. No good came of that poem.

Dorcas hit the nail on the head when she said that the newest reciter of the poem doesn't know what she's saying. She's not afflicted by the sorrow like the poet's daughter was at all, and recites the words like she would a recipe on the back of a box. The sadness of the poem remains, but the understanding? Gone. Out the windows of the town into a thousand interpretations that change as often as people do.

The whole affair was so muddled that even clear-headed Kino didn't know what to make of it. So she depends on human inconstancy to make sense (or more nonsense) of it over time, and mutters "Ask me about this again. In the morning." Maybe it will change again...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6